Can we go around without holding guns.

I'll play System Shock 2 before I play Deus Ex completely through, if I can find a working uh... "copy".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I have yet to find a game that scares me. Silent Hill was a no. Condemed was a no. Ive heard people say system shock 2 was scary, but how scary can DOOM graphics be? On that thought, Doom didnt scare me either, even though it was a sweet game. So, going in to that, wha is the scariest game in the world?

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I have yet to find a game that scares me. Silent Hill was a no. Condemed was a no. Ive heard people say system shock 2 was scary, but how scary can DOOM graphics be? On that thought, Doom didnt scare me either, even though it was a sweet game. So, going in to that, wha is the scariest game in the world?

I dunno, Bioshock gave me a couple of good scares, but they were more of the "WAAA!" when a splicer jumps on me from the darkness than actual psychological horror.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I dunno, Bioshock gave me a couple of good scares, but they were more of the "WAAA!" when a splicer jumps on me from the darkness than actual psychological horror.

I was really surprised that Bioshock didn't scare me at all. It started off so well, with that splicer trying to reach you while you're cowering in the bathysphere. But in the end, it failed to convey a creepy atmosphere. At least for me. Could be because splicers aren't that scary, SS2 hybrids were much better.

System Shock 2 however, was genuinely scary. It wasn't about the closet monsters, but the atmosphere - it was very heavy.

Also, not being able to pause the game at any time was awesome. Even when you were in the menus, the game kept on going in the background.

I can honestly say that System Shock 2 is the scariest game I've ever played.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Creeping through those dark cargo holds on the Van Braun with my half broken pistol containing all of 8 bullets while listening to those monkeys howling in the darkness all around me remains one of my seminal gaming experiences.

Subsequent playthrough of SS2 are less scary of course. But that first time through was absolutely nervewracking.

Deus Ex is a fab game but SS2 is one of my classics.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'd argue that there are several missions in the original Thief game that were much scarier than anything that System Shock threw at you. At least in System Shock, if those unspeakable horrors found you, you could still kill them. Hammer haunts on the other hand would wipe the floor with you in anything even remotely resembling a fair fight. I see you...

I'd argue that there are several missions in the original Thief game that were much scarier than anything that System Shock threw at you. At least in System Shock, if those unspeakable horrors found you, you could still kill them. Hammer haunts on the other hand would wipe the floor with you in anything even remotely resembling a fair fight. I see you...

Thief is another classic though. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I was really surprised that Bioshock didn't scare me at all. It started off so well, with that splicer trying to reach you while you're cowering in the bathysphere. But in the end, it failed to convey a creepy atmosphere. At least for me. Could be because splicers aren't that scary, SS2 hybrids were much better.

Big tv, surround sound and a ****ty insomnia-causing job/relationship help. And it was 2-3 cheap scares over the whole game. :p

I tipped the filter! Yay! :lol:

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Clive Barker's undying was amusingly scary for the first half of the game. The latter half was basically there to make up for being scared for the first half. GREAT game.

And yes, System shock 2 was very scary and no, they were not doom era graphics. More like half life 1 graphics.

But yeah, I think taking a body-armor for meeting Grigori will make immediately suspicious :lol:
*walks in the bar wearing body armor*

Dimitri: Ah, are you this afraid of me? Then you won't mind paying 10% extra for my wares, yes?

Talk about C&C.

ERrr, what Bloodlines game did you play? I had neither autoaim, nor was my chance to hit randomly decided as the crosshairs proved to work identically to Deus Ex's.
He was referring to the weapon feat vs defense feat check.

Yeah, I can't really think of any reason to consider the aiming system in Deus Ex bad. It was kind of annoying trying to hit anyone at range if you weren't skilled with a weapon, but it was still definitely possible if you took your time. Still, it never bothered me because I knew it was because I had no skill in the weapon I was using and I could see a noticeable improvement when I increased my weapon skills.

Yeah. In other words: it was realistic.

I think some people are used to FPS aiming where high energy particle scientists can pick up rocket launchers gauss guns and immediately know how to fire them 100% accuracy at small, fast moving headcrabs.

The Deus Ex system is the best thing available when you want to introduce RPG stat elements into the game because it's still based on your skill. Bloodlines's system was atrocious (auto-aim, and your chance to hit randomly decided) - you could shoot point blank and still miss.

ERrr, what Bloodlines game did you play? I had neither autoaim, nor was my chance to hit randomly decided as the crosshairs proved to work identically to Deus Ex's.

Bloodlines forced a chance to miss. You could be right next to somebody and still sometimes shots would miss, depending on your guns skill. It was stupid.

Bloodlines also helped aim (autoaim) by nudging the cross-hair closer to enemies when your crosshair was reasonably close to them. It was very annoying.

Edited by Krezack

Yeah, I can't really think of any reason to consider the aiming system in Deus Ex bad. It was kind of annoying trying to hit anyone at range if you weren't skilled with a weapon, but it was still definitely possible if you took your time. Still, it never bothered me because I knew it was because I had no skill in the weapon I was using and I could see a noticeable improvement when I increased my weapon skills.

Yeah. In other words: it was realistic.

I think some people are used to FPS aiming where high energy particle scientists can pick up rocket launchers gauss guns and immediately know how to fire them 100% accuracy at small, fast moving headcrabs.

The Deus Ex system is the best thing available when you want to introduce RPG stat elements into the game because it's still based on your skill. Bloodlines's system was atrocious (auto-aim, and your chance to hit randomly decided) - you could shoot point blank and still miss.

Bloodlines forced a chance to miss. You could be right next to somebody and still sometimes shots would miss, depending on your guns skill. It was stupid.

Bloodlines also helped aim (autoaim) by nudging the cross-hair closer to enemies when your crosshair was reasonably close to them. It was very annoying.

Tha's interesting. I never noticed that. But, I played Bloodlines almost exclusively as an unarmed Brujah, so I probably didn't do enough shooting to really notice.

Are you sure? I don't really remember a "nudging" but that could be easy to forget.

I definitely do not remember a forced chance to miss.

Are you sure? I don't really remember a "nudging" but that could be easy to forget.

I definitely do not remember a forced chance to miss.

Yeah it was there. Bloodline gunplay was awful. Other parts of the game can cause you to forget that though.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif