Dragon Age Origins

The sheep-in-the-brothel thing has been done before in Arcanum. I didn't think it terribly funny then, and I doubt I will if it's in DA. It's just plain silly and tasteless, but some people seem to like silly and tasteless..

Telling yo mama jokes at the funeral of your best friend's mom is tasteless. The sheep or whatever is just a joke you either like or not. And of course it's silly, it's a joke.

Even the childish sex-cards in the Witcher could basically be ignored, and that was the most juvenile, idiotic "sex-for-the-sake-of-sex" silliness I've ever seen in a video game.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it's a problem in an RPG of all things if the PC has sex because he likes sex and not because his **** cures cancer?

The sheep-in-the-brothel thing has been done before in Arcanum. I didn't think it terribly funny then, and I doubt I will if it's in DA. It's just plain silly and tasteless, but some people seem to like silly and tasteless..

Brothels are almost a staple in RPG's and have been since BG1. I don't think they add much, frankly, but I'm not going to whine at the forums and write my congressman. I figure it's mostly there for the pimple-faced hormonal set who get all sweaty at the thought of doing naughty things to a few pixels on their monitor. Even the childish sex-cards in the Witcher could basically be ignored, and that was the most juvenile, idiotic "sex-for-the-sake-of-sex" silliness I've ever seen in a video game. I don't expect Bio to come close to meeting that kind of crudity and crassness, so I'm not much worried about it.

Edit: Oops, I see the Arcanum sheep has already been mentioned. Neverrr mind!

So I'd be right to say you're not into girl on girl action :sorcerer:.

You're spot on though, developers are afraid to deal with sex from a serious perspective, its a hard thing to do. What was it Josh said, something along the lines of developers not being able to treat certain matters seriously or something along those line.

Now from a male perspective, I don't mind collecting cards with half nakid women on 'em, I appriciate naked womenses, but I'm afraid of real women :), objectify woman oh mighty developers and then I won't have to deal with my social inadequacy. *fap* *fap*. :ermm:

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The Witcher did it right.

They created Geralt, a mans man who kills about everything, sleeps with everything else and isn't afraid of anything. The women want him and the men strives to be like him.

The only ones complaining about him are those who have kids that are needed to be picked up from kindergarten, a mortage to pay, dull work to do and think that going to the zoo is an exciting way to spend to your free-time :sorcerer:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

More on-topic: No-one cares about brothels to an extent of them being irritating anyway. Unless those who are afraid that they might like it.

But it is still sad to see that there will be no 2-elfs-1-dwarf action though :sorcerer: If possible, i will settle for a noble eunuch-character instead.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I agree that Geralt did it right. First getting drunk on cheap booze, got into barfights and then haveing fun with anything that moves.

While I'm strongly against brothels and prostitution in real life, I have to admit it fits great in RPGs. And just about every CRPG have 'em and that's a good thing.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Please let us not forget that the main focus in the game seems to be on the romances in the game, and the possible love (sex) acts, it will allow the player character to have within the game with different NPCs, depending on his or her choice. I don't know Bioware's stance on the ESRB summary of the game; David Gaider has said on the Bioware DA-forums that there are brothels in the game, and that we shouldn't believe everything we read or hear. He has also said that we won't be seeing what we think we would be seeing in the game.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Please let us not forget that the main focus in the game seems to be on the romances in the game, and the possible love (sex) acts, it will allow the player character to have within the game with different NPCs, depending on his or her choice. I don't know Bioware's stance on the ESRB summary of the game; David Gaider has said on the Bioware DA-forums that there are brothels in the game, and that we shouldn't believe everything we read or hear. He has also said that we won't be seeing what we think we would be seeing in the game.

I thought the main focus was killing things with lots of blood splattering everywhere. Maybe they should call it dark romantic fantasy?

I agree that Geralt did it right. First getting drunk on cheap booze, got into barfights and then haveing fun with anything that moves.

Geralt got an unfair advantage, being sterile & immune to disease (no STDs)... hence "fair game" for the ladies.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

While I'm strongly against brothels and prostitution in real life...

Why? As long as they're legal and regulated to prevent abuse they're no different than any other business. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Why? As long as they're legal and regulated to prevent abuse they're no different than any other business. ;)

I agree, they're doing pretty well in the Netherlands.

Why? As long as they're legal and regulated to prevent abuse they're no different than any other business. :o

I agree, they're doing pretty well in the Netherlands.

...And how would you know? hmmmmm? ;)

Anyhow, I think legalized prostitution has it's problems. Of course, prostitution is a problem at any rate. Coming from a state that literally has Brothels, I can't say that they're all that big of a problem. Yes, prostitution is a grim business, especially in a mock medieval world like DA, but they're not even presenting it as a grim, real life scenario. It's just a joke. Maybe a bad one, but it's still just a joke.

The Witcher did it right because its developers did what they wanted - political correctness be damned. Plus they were mature people working to please a mature crowd.

Dragon Age won't do it correctly because someone in Bioware equates maturity with tons of blood, lame brothels and gay romances.

Not only that, it buried itself with the claim that its the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and I for one have been playing that game for almost a decade and I don't see the resemblance. At all.

What makes me sad is that someone who offers something new eg. Troika, today CDProjektRed always ends up bankrupt while Bioware who has been repackaging a dumbed down version of Baldur's Gate gameplay, for the last decade - is showered in praise. The only true reason their games are considered best is that there is almost no competition. There hasn't been for years.

Untill the Witcher came out and it became obvious how immature Mass Effect, Jade Empire and KOTOR are in comparison.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The Witcher did it right.

They created Geralt, a mans man who kills about everything, sleeps with everything else and isn't afraid of anything. The women want him and the men strives to be like him.

Geralt from the book is not a man'ho. They just made him one in the game so it would be popular.

Coming from a state that literally has Brothels, I can't say that they're all that big of a problem. Yes, prostitution is a grim business, especially in a mock medieval world like DA, but they're not even presenting it as a grim, real life scenario. It's just a joke. Maybe a bad one, but it's still just a joke.

I doubt it's that grim when it's unionized.

Every state literally has brothels. I assume you're in a state where it's legalized. Why, we could be neighbors!

If your dog gets within ten feet of my lawn again, I'm going to shoot it.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Naw, MC, brothels are a grim business just like gambling is a grim business. Yeah, you can legalize it and unionize it and even put it in Disney clothing, much like Las Vegas tried about a decade ago, but it's still a pretty seedy activity. I never noticed you were from Sin City before! I actually live in California, but I spend a lot of time in Las Vegas and Henderson. I'm originally from Las Vegas. Was born in Sunrise Hospital the day before they landed on the moon. :)

Anyhow, the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" motto pretty much sums up my case. haha Last I heard, all of the brothels were outside of clark county! :p

Seriously, though, I really do think that gambling and prostitution tend to be 'grim,' but I suppose that it's a matter of perspective. I mean, like you say, there's prostitution and gambling in every state. The difference is that in Las Vegas there's at least some regulation. To be fair, however, gambling is probably even more destructive than brothels. If Vegas didn't have a steady influx of out of state visitors bringing in fresh cash, gambling would not have served the community well at all. That and gambling, legal or not, tends to draw some pretty shifty folks.

But, I guess to come full circle so I can agree and disagree in the same post, people do what they do to make a living. From my chair, prostitution is a grave evil and seems like a horrible fate to befall any woman (or man). However, if that's what someone is doing to survive, and if she doesn't make bad money doing it, then she probably has a different perspective. I've ended up doing things that seemed abhorrent to me when I was younger. Once I ended up having to do it the first time, I just lived with it and it got to seem normal after a while.

The happy go lucky brothel in Dragon's Age isn't even offensive to me. Yeah, it seems strange to have the animal in the brothel, but I don' really care. In the grand scheme of things, that's just not a big deal to me. As far as treating prostitution realistically in the game? I dunno. Frankly, I think I might rather see bad humor than ugly reality. I honestly don't know. ...But I'm going to get the game and therefore have the right to rant about the odd aspect or two. Hell, enjoying the game and then getting to come nitpic the things that bugged me is one of the real joys of video gaming. :x

Untill the Witcher came out and it became obvious how immature Mass Effect, Jade Empire and KOTOR are in comparison.

The Witcher was mature? How?

The world lacked the fairy tale black and white morality and the motivations of individuals in it were wholly believable. The PC's actions had real consequences, and there was no "good" or "evil" path through the game, merely the choice between bad options. The game didn't care for mainstream opinions, and included sex, swearing, drugs, alchohol, rape, incest and all sorts of things politically correct games avoid. At the same time it didn't preach or take itself too seriously, knowing to joke at its own expense.

This kind of not pompous storytelling, unburdened with moral absolutes is probably only seen in fallout 1 and 2, and ultimately that's what made it popular and admired in the community. While the reviewers were essentially bashing the game for not paying them the usual bribe, the gathered grades of users on various game sites showed how people knew to appreciate not being treated as morons. As is prevalent in games today.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The Witcher was mature? How?

The world lacked the fairy tale black and white morality and the motivations of individuals in it were wholly believable. The PC's actions had real consequences, and there was no "good" or "evil" path through the game, merely the choice between bad options. The game didn't care for mainstream opinions, and included sex, swearing, drugs, alchohol, rape, incest and all sorts of things politically correct games avoid. At the same time it didn't preach or take itself too seriously, knowing to joke at its own expense.

This kind of not pompous storytelling, unburdened with moral absolutes is probably only seen in fallout 1 and 2, and ultimately that's what made it popular and admired in the community. While the reviewers were essentially bashing the game for not paying them the usual bribe, the gathered grades of users on various game sites showed how people knew to appreciate not being treated as morons. As is prevalent in games today.

I still feel the writers of the game didn't really take advantage of the "mature" setting. They handled it like amateurs. Bad swearing, sex and slavery doesn't make it more serious, or tasty for adult gamers. Overall I feel TW was a half-hearted attempt to compete with Bioware etc. And don't get me started about the bad writing and the pale characters, or the overall setting, which didn't make a lot of sense to me. Not to mention the so called "moral" choices which were basically a joke.

While Bioware isn't that much better, they deliver at least a cohesive experience. They understand at least the basics of storytelling.

Geralt - Take these flowers.

Woman - Oh yesss, f**k me now!!!

That just screams 'mature gameplay' to me... :)

And just shows how far you got in the game. Not to mention it shows what was your interest in the first place, since you ran around looking for flowers (probably expecting her to bake you muffins in return or something) instead of following the story.

logosig2.jpg

Geralt - Take these flowers.

Woman - Oh yesss, f**k me now!!!

That just screams 'mature gameplay' to me... :)

The Poles have a long way to go to become a civilized western country.... o:)

Mature...tsk.

The girls from your country don't even require flowers. I can confirm that myself :)

Not that that's an answer to my reply anyway.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg