New Mechwarrior

Oner

Anyway, in the video I was kinda wondering why on earth the warhammer was using the machine guns when battling the Atlas.... MACHINE GUNS! I mean those suckers are only useful against friggin infantry. Of course if I remember the standard loadout for a Warhammer he's only really got two PPC's and an SRM package.

The dev probably just chose that because it looks cool to see a bunch of impact particles sparking off of the Atlas and an autocannon might tear it to shreds.

Reading the interview, it's probably the beginner protagonist with zero money for decent weapons.

Anyway, in the video I was kinda wondering why on earth the warhammer was using the machine guns when battling the Atlas.... MACHINE GUNS! I mean those suckers are only useful against friggin infantry. Of course if I remember the standard loadout for a Warhammer he's only really got two PPC's and an SRM package.

Standard loadout for a Warhammer is:

• 2x PPCs
  • 1x SRM-6
  • 2x Medium Lasers
  • 2x Small Lasers
  • 2x Machine Guns

It looks to me like he's pretty much firing everything he's got at the Atlas although he's holding back 1 PPC at a time to prevent shutting down due to heat. Firing everything else should put him at about 4 extra heat per turn or 14 if he fired both PPCs. The machine guns are a bonus. 1 point of damage for 1 point of heat. Hardly a huge draw on his heat sinks and every point of damage counts when you run up against a 100 ton Atlas in a 70 ton Warhammer under the minimum range of those PPCs. Besides, once you get past that torso armour, a machine gun has just as big a chance to crit that engine as the lasers do. :sorcerer:

Standard loadout for a Warhammer is:

• 2x PPCs
  • 1x SRM-6
  • 2x Medium Lasers
  • 2x Small Lasers
  • 2x Machine Guns

It looks to me like he's pretty much firing everything he's got at the Atlas although he's holding back 1 PPC at a time to prevent shutting down due to heat. Firing everything else should put him at about 4 extra heat per turn or 14 if he fired both PPCs. The machine guns are a bonus. 1 point of damage for 1 point of heat. Hardly a huge draw on his heat sinks and every point of damage counts when you run up against a 100 ton Atlas in a 70 ton Warhammer under the minimum range of those PPCs. Besides, once you get past that torso armour, a machine gun has just as big a chance to crit that engine as the lasers do. :sorcerer:

I didn't think the IS version of the 'hammer had the lasers. I thought only the IIC version did (IIC being the abbreviation for "2 clan")

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I didn't think the IS version of the 'hammer had the lasers. I thought only the IIC version did (IIC being the abbreviation for "2 clan")

Nope. WHR-6R has the medium and smalls. The Warhammer IIC has 5x Medium Pulses and no Machine Guns.

Although I have to say, watching the video again, the Warhammer doesn't look like it's firing an lasers after all. It's just going with the PPCs (which missed half the time thanks to the Atlas AC20 throwing off his aim) and the machine guns. The Warhammer pilot is a n00b.

Edited by Deraldin

Well, we get MW4 free and the expansions. That's good, I suppose.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/48939/Me...leased-For-Free

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hope they stick to the idea of allowing the player to configure the loadouts.

I always found that putting autocannons and missiles plus ammo for each in the arms then filling the torso with lasers and ppcs and heat sinks worked well.

In a mission I would try to use my missiles and autocannons first. Eventually, there was a pretty good chance I would lose one or both of my arms in combat, but by that point I had exhausted the weapons in each arm so it didn't matter. My torso would still be packed with a lot of firepower and the heatsinks to use it.

Also I found that internal ammo explosions in the arms were generally less horrible than internal ammo explosions in the head or torso. SO no ammo or missile storage in the head or torso.

It worked well. Although I usually finished most missions without any arms. BUT I usually finished. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I always found that putting autocannons and missiles plus ammo for each in the arms then filling the torso with lasers and ppcs and heat sinks worked well.

In a mission I would try to use my missiles and autocannons first. Eventually, there was a pretty good chance I would lose one or both of my arms in combat, but by that point I had exhausted the weapons in each arm so it didn't matter. My torso would still be packed with a lot of firepower and the heatsinks to use it.

Also I found that internal ammo explosions in the arms were generally less horrible than internal ammo explosions in the head or torso. SO no ammo or missile storage in the head or torso.

It worked well. Although I usually finished most missions without any arms. BUT I usually finished. :)

Loadouts depended on the game. Mechwarrior 3 let you put anything anywhere so I'd put all my weapons in the torso where they wouldn't get blown off and the arms were reserved for ammo (usually stuck to energy weapons though) and craploads of heatsinks. Ammo in torso locations needs case. Case will save your life.

Loadouts depended on the game. Mechwarrior 3 let you put anything anywhere so I'd put all my weapons in the torso where they wouldn't get blown off and the arms were reserved for ammo (usually stuck to energy weapons though) and craploads of heatsinks. Ammo in torso locations needs case. Case will save your life.

IIRC, Case was clan mechs only? I always used the clan mechs was I could get one.

I think Mechwarrior 2 allosed you to put anything anywhere, too? Been a long long time since I played a mechwarrior game. It's pretty cookl that a new one is coming out.

A mech action game is pretty hard to screw up.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

IIRC, Case was clan mechs only? I always used the clan mechs was I could get one.

I think Mechwarrior 2 allosed you to put anything anywhere, too? Been a long long time since I played a mechwarrior game. It's pretty cookl that a new one is coming out.

A mech action game is pretty hard to screw up.

Case comes in both IS and Clan designs. IS Case has .5 Ton weight, while Clan is weightless.

I've never played Mechwarrior 2 so I'm not sure how the mech loadouts worked in that game.

Mech 2 loadouts were basically anywhere as long as you had the tonnage. IIRC mech 3 introduced a space requirement for each system, and 4 introduced "gotta put weapon type X into point Y" mechanics.

But in Mechwarrior two, each weapon took up 1 slot, and could be placed anywhere in the body. This meant me and my friends would stack medium ER lasers in the torso of our mechs and go to town with our arms being nothing more than armor.

Case comes in both IS and Clan designs. IS Case has .5 Ton weight, while Clan is weightless.

That's right. Good recall.

I've never played Mechwarrior 2 so I'm not sure how the mech loadouts worked in that game.

I'm pretty sure they did. I don't recall limitations to placement. But I played that on a pentium 133, I think. LOng time ago. lol.

Mechwarrior 2 had one of the most awesome intro movies ever. (FOr the time)

Mech 2 loadouts were basically anywhere as long as you had the tonnage. IIRC mech 3 introduced a space requirement for each system, and 4 introduced "gotta put weapon type X into point Y" mechanics.

But in Mechwarrior two, each weapon took up 1 slot, and could be placed anywhere in the body. This meant me and my friends would stack medium ER lasers in the torso of our mechs and go to town with our arms being nothing more than armor.

I don't think I ever played Mechwarrior 4. DOn't know why. Did it get bad reviews or something?

I played MEchwarrior 2, the Mechwarrior 2 expansion Ghost BEar's Legcacy. Mechwarrior: Mercenaries, MEchwarrior 3 and Mech COmmander. MEch COmmander was an rts that was actually quite good. One of the better RTS games I've ever played.

I don't think I ever played Mechwarrior 4. DOn't know why. Did it get bad reviews or something?

I played MEchwarrior 2, the Mechwarrior 2 expansion Ghost BEar's Legcacy. Mechwarrior: Mercenaries, MEchwarrior 3 and Mech COmmander. MEch COmmander was an rts that was actually quite good. One of the better RTS games I've ever played.

Mechwarrior 4 was an ok game. Not great, and the story was kinda... iffy and not really tied in all that well. Basically you were playing as the son of a duke who's family had been killed in the FedCom civil war between Davion and Steiner. You rush back to your base and fight your way through Lyran opponents to retake your home.

it had actors etc, but they weren't very good at their jobs, and overall the story was very weak, added to the mech3 mechanics (with a few tweaks) the game just felt like a mod rather than a whole new game.

I loved those games.

My fave mech was the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat. Fast enough to be reasonably mobile, but still heavy enough to dish out and take a pounding. The only time I ever used anything heavier was if there was a mission that had a ton of close range face to face combat. Then a Dire Wolf or ATlas was useful since their lack of speed didn't matter much.

One of the coolest parts of Mechcommander was that if you were careful, you could cripple and salvage a Mad Cat in the very first mission. Having that baby on your team was total gold for the first 6 missions.

Mechwarrior 2 had one of the most awesome intro movies ever. (FOr the time)

I dunno. It's okay, but I still think that Mechwarrior 3 has the better

Die Clanner!

There was alot of years between mech 2 and 3 and at the time the intro to 2 was amazing.

I loved those games.

My fave mech was the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat. Fast enough to be reasonably mobile, but still heavy enough to dish out and take a pounding. The only time I ever used anything heavier was if there was a mission that had a ton of close range face to face combat. Then a Dire Wolf or ATlas was useful since their lack of speed didn't matter much.

One of the coolest parts of Mechcommander was that if you were careful, you could cripple and salvage a Mad Cat in the very first mission. Having that baby on your team was total gold for the first 6 missions.

Yeah... I have friends who would literally save the game right before the 'cat shows up and then keep reloading until they got that thing.

I personally love the Loki and Shadowcat designs. Admittedly nothing will ever beat my incredibly stupid "never going to happen" design of a Vulture with 12 ERMLAS and jets.

Mechwarrior 4 was an ok game. Not great, and the story was kinda... iffy and not really tied in all that well. Basically you were playing as the son of a duke who's family had been killed in the FedCom civil war between Davion and Steiner. You rush back to your base and fight your way through Lyran opponents to retake your home.

it had actors etc, but they weren't very good at their jobs, and overall the story was very weak, added to the mech3 mechanics (with a few tweaks) the game just felt like a mod rather than a whole new game.

Never played anything besides MW 4/Mercenaries and MC 2 (which kept crashing after the ~7th mission so I gave up), so I dunno how a Battle Tech game should feel like, but I liked the atmosphere it provided, and I liked the simple '90s sci-fi action B movie story.

And gameplay was way above G-Nome, if you know it, so...

Edited by Oner

I enjoyed MW4, it was cheesy and the acting over the top but for video games there are far worse acting sequences out there. Gameplay was pretty decent, not as captivating as 3 was but not horrible. Now the first expantion pack Black Knight, that was craptastic. MW4 Mercenaries was pretty good but too liner for a mercenary game, should have had more options when it came to contracts.

My favorite was MW2 Mercenaries, loved that game. I am so excited about a new MW game, my fingers are crossed, if they can do city fighting like the trailer implies i will be very happy.

Never played anything besides MW 4/Mercenaries and MC 2 (which kept crashing after the ~7th mission so I gave up), so I dunno how a Battle Tech game should feel like, but I liked the atmosphere it provided, and I liked the simple '90s sci-fi action B movie story.

And gameplay was way above G-Nome, if you know it, so...

Well for the most part you didn't feel like you were taking part in this massive war, instead it felt like a series of skirmishes that you were underpowered in.

Also random arbitrary decisions about how much weight your lance could run around with, and the fact they suggest you take a "light lance" only to have an ambush of like 5 atlas's.

Edited by Calax

This is funny, last night I dreamt of MW4 without knowledge of this new release. I dreamt I was at a computer games convention, and someone had reprogrammed MW4 with cel-shaded graphics. First I thought it was AMOK or MW2, until someone explained to me it was MW4 with new graphics :S.

Strangest premonition I ever had (and it's not that I dream of mW games every night :devil:)...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

This is funny, last night I dreamt of MW4 without knowledge of this new release. I dreamt I was at a computer games convention, and someone had reprogrammed MW4 with cel-shaded graphics. First I thought it was AMOK or MW2, until someone explained to me it was MW4 with new graphics :S.

Strangest premonition I ever had (and it's not that I dream of mW games every night :devil:)...

Honestly I think some of the anime mecha games should go with cell shading rather than anything else. ZOE2 proved it looks damn good.