Baseball!

Guard Dog

Just looking over the schedule, even if the Fish keep winning, I don't see how they can make up the five games they trail the Rocks. Major bummer. The Bucs are not looking good this year, Panthers either. I'm trying to adopt the Predators but just can't make myself do it so far. I actually used to go to Panthers games, I can't break the attachment and pull for a team I've never seen just because they are the "local" team. Gonna be a blue winter for me. Go Gators!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

you're close enough... think st. louis.

taks

Actually I am a little bit of a Cards fan because the Redbirds, ther AAA affiliate are right here in town and I've been to almost a dozen games this year. But old loyalties die hard.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Our year is finished and it has been a most disappointing season, but things have looked up lately, the Padres have won the last 5 series against some winning teams - SF, LA, FLA, ATL, (and Washington which they swept) the kids are playing well, trying to win a job will do that. It's been an entertaining month.

I'm curious. What does everytone think of interleague play? On the MLB channel on XM this morning they were tlaking about the unbalancing effect it had on the playoff races. For example, The Rockies playes a weak interleague schedule compared to the Cubs and that accounted for 10 Rocks wins over weaker teams where the Cubs had to play in NY and Boston and lost 5 of 6. Remove the interleague games and the NL wild card race is a lot tighter. If I were in charge I think I'd limit the Interleague play to one home and one away series against a cross league "rival" (Cubs vs White Sox for example) and do away with the rest. Ideally I think we should expand the AL by two teams, eliminate interleague play and go back to a balanced schedule, but that will never happen. What are everyones thoughts on Interleague?

Thomas Sowell

I like the interleague play, but I think they should figure out a way to have a series against every team. It should be possible, they play like a thousand games a season.

How many times do we play division rivals? I'm glad it is a lot, but it does seem a bit excessive.

Marlins lose a heart breaker last night against the Nats 5-3. C'mon Fish you gotta win games like that. Philly won, Rocks won, Fish lost ground.

Kudos to Jeter for breaking Gehrigs record.

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I'm getting pretty down about the Giant's chances, especially after they really got whooped by LA last night. It's hard to be too down though, I thought they'd be fighting to be .500 this season. The fact is they got a lot of young talent and they should be good for a few years to come.

Re: interleague games -- I don't know enough about the history/stats to have any opinion based on such. Purely from a spectator point of view, tho, I'd say I'm in the camp of not seeing much point to it them in regards to season gameplay itself. It seems simply much more sensible/logical for each league to play within their own league until the World Series.

Re: the SF Giants -- yeah, it doesn't look too good for them at this point. And while Boston has a good chance at the WC, I'm not very confident of them being able to beat NY to get to the WS...so my dream of a Boston/SF WS will have to wait until... ? ... :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And while Boston has a good chance at the WC, I'm not very confident of them being able to beat NY to get to the WS...so my dream of a Boston/SF WS will have to wait until... ? ... :p

If you can get the Angles to play the yanks before you do you should have it made. You have the angels number like they have the yanks number as in absolutely owned.

Hmm, you have a point, that they may not have to face NY at all.

Still...Boston's pitching & batting inconsistency the past couple months doesn't make me terribly optimistic about taking any single series from quality teams.

Ah...baseball...no matter how great (or poor) a team is overall, when it comes down to one or two games, you never know which way things are going to fly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Red Sox have been unbeatable lately. Hard to believe they were in a free fall just a month ago. Marlins picked up an epic win, 4 runs in the top of the 9th against the Reds. Getaway day today in Cinncinati then it's back home for the Phillies, screw football I'm watching that! Gonna be BIG!

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of FB don't forget to make your picks.

Done! o:)

Thomas Sowell

Marlins win, Phillies lost. Sweet.

Thomas Sowell

I don't know about unbeatable, but Boston sure has picked up their late season mojo, like they so often seem to do in recent years. V-Mart & Gonzo were major trade-wins (Gonzo wasn't even supposed to be able to hit well, but has been awesome lately) and the pitching is finally not sucking. Our catching is a low point, tho. All the passed balls, argh. I'm still not confident of their ability to beat NY...but if the team keeps up this mojo, maybe...The upcoming series with NY next weekend will be pretty interesting, imo.

What a rotten weekend. Gators should have destroyed UT but didn't. Marlins got blown out by the reds today, Bucs got blown out by Buffalo. But at least the Phillies lost and in the minors the Redbirds won the PCL championship. How cool is that?

Thomas Sowell

The Giants are probably out of it at this point. It's hard to get too down, they had a heck of a season considering they only have one decent bat in the lineup. I hope they figure out a way to lose some of the old guys for next year, they really have been a let down. If they can keep the pitching and add two more bats I think they can compete with LA on a regular basis.

Phils took the first of a doubleheader with the fish. Their magic number is 5. With that loss and the way the rocks are playing it looks like the Marlins six year cycle will come to an end. But I really can't complain, both they and the Rays had great seasons and kept it intersting late. I really pulling for Minnesota to close with the Tigers, that would be a great story. I guess for the playoffs I'm pulling for the Cards & Twins if they get in.

Thomas Sowell