How will it end?

Aristes

How it will end!  

34 members have voted

1. 1. When you know the end is coming but you don't know what he's wearing:

• Apes, Cats, Ants... it's mutation time!
    • You thought machines were your friends!
    • It isn't just a bad cough!
    • Earth pinball with asteroids, comets, the moon!
    • Space Invaders isn't a video game any more!
    • Here comes the sun!
    • No! It's going to be... (explain)

Entropy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

According to my ancestors, Ragnarok is what awaits when the Aesir and the Jotuns fight the last battle.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wasn't really complaining at you Virumor. It's pointless to discuss things in terms of what we don't understand. It's just kind of like extra terrestrial life. On the other hand, while we have absolutely no evidence of other sentient species, it just boggles the mind to think all life in the universe is on the Earth. Good chance it exists but we'll never see it. Does that make sense or am I just going gonzo?

I tell you one thing: if sentient life does exist it had better have more important things to do than fly a bajillion miles here and stick objects up people's behinds. If not then frankly I don't WANT to make contact.

I don't know. Aside from the goofy UFO stories, maybe 'flying a bajillion miles' for them is as trivial as taking the car on a trip to the supermarket. And maybe they're observing us as we would observe a colony of ants.

I'm not very comfortable with that analogy. I used to boil ants with big kettles of water.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wasn't really complaining at you Virumor. It's pointless to discuss things in terms of what we don't understand. It's just kind of like extra terrestrial life. On the other hand, while we have absolutely no evidence of other sentient species, it just boggles the mind to think all life in the universe is on the Earth. Good chance it exists but we'll never see it. Does that make sense or am I just going gonzo?

I tell you one thing: if sentient life does exist it had better have more important things to do than fly a bajillion miles here and stick objects up people's behinds. If not then frankly I don't WANT to make contact.

I don't know. Aside from the goofy UFO stories, maybe 'flying a bajillion miles' for them is as trivial as taking the car on a trip to the supermarket. And maybe they're observing us as we would observe a colony of ants.

I'm not very comfortable with that analogy. I used to boil ants with big kettles of water.

For all we know, "aliens" could be n-dimensional beings not more concerned about (or aware of) 3-dimensional affairs than we are about the wonderfully tiny things going on in the universe of quantum chromodynamics.

Better not to think about it. Old Ones? Heh...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

well... Human life will cease with the planet killing asteroid I mentioned above... ALL life will end when the universe suffers from heat death (where all energy is converted into heat and the entire universe is one temperature, but this may cause the big bang to repeat).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

ALL life will end when the universe suffers from heat death
That's assuming that some of the consequences foreseen by our awfully incomplete and poorly understood cosmological theories prove true in the end. Which is about as likely as tossing a coin and getting heads, tails, and nothing at all, simultaneously. Or the Old Ones awakening.

:p

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 3 weeks later...
How will it end? I'll tell you how it will end... a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of god stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthqakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA! :verymad:

This would have to be the closest. Has ANYBODY read the last book of the Bible? Anybody? Anybody at all? I really can not believe some of this stuff.

Has ANYBODY read the last book of the Bible? Anybody? Anybody at all?

Yes, I have. But I am not sure what your point was, are you saying that The Bible is correct when it comes to the fate of the world? If so, please tell use why that idea is any less absurd than some of the other ideas in this thread. :verymad:

That Cthulhu comic seems to confuse the Old Ones with the Great Old Ones. The Old Ones are synonymous to the Elder Things from At the Mountains of Madness, IIRC.

You might be right, I'll check that story later tonight and get back to you. :verymad:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

How will it end? I'll tell you how it will end... a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of god stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthqakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA! :*

This would have to be the closest. Has ANYBODY read the last book of the Bible? Anybody? Anybody at all? I really can not believe some of this stuff.

I'd be surprised if anyone here had NOT read it. Cracking read, the revelation of St John.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I knew I should have included a biblical ending in the poll, but I figured that it wouldn't work because the book of revelation doesn't actually describe the end of the world. You freaks! Turn this into a religious argument thread and I'll hunt you down and.... I don't know! Make you read the bible from cover the cover, with all the footnotes, and commentary by St. Augustine and Martin Luther! Either that or I'll sigh and forgive you. You never know which.

I opt for total existence failure at the quantum level.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I opt for total existence failure at the quantum level.

Vacuum metastability event? Funnily enough, if that ever happens it won't be because somebody turned on the latest atom smasher, but because of a freak cosmic event - any energy level produced on Earth can be guaranteed to have been produced naturally in the past by stars, black holes, and similar.

How will it end? I'll tell you how it will end... a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of god stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthqakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA! :biggrin:

You do know hes quoting Ghostbusters right?

It'll be another 1.5 billion years before the sun incinerates Earth's atmosphere and oceans. I don't think it'll be the sun that is the doom of humanity.

Actually, it'll not just boil the atmosphere and oceans but it'll also swallow the planet when it goes into it's Red Giant Phase.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

How will it end? I'll tell you how it will end... a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of god stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthqakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA! :aiee:

You're kidding. That's in Ghostbusters??? I am not quoting!!! :lol::lol::teehee::teehee::woot: And D_N, that is explicitly stated in Revelations. Seriously. That is fact if anything is.

It'll be another 1.5 billion years before the sun incinerates Earth's atmosphere and oceans. I don't think it'll be the sun that is the doom of humanity.

Actually, it'll not just boil the atmosphere and oceans but it'll also swallow the planet when it goes into it's Red Giant Phase.

The expansion of the sun is something like 4 to 6 billion years off, though. The boiling of the oceans and evaporation of the atmosphere is 'only' around 1 billion years away.

How will it end? I'll tell you how it will end... a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of god stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthqakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA! :aiee:

You're kidding. That's in Ghostbusters??? I am not quoting!!! :lol::lol::teehee::teehee::woot: And D_N, that is explicitly stated in Revelations. Seriously. That is fact if anything is.

You do realise the Bible is made up, right?