NWN3 will be actually a MMO

i can't help but feel the mmo announcement is the last dying gasp of the desperate.

cough*fallout mmo*cough

how about we get another real rpg before i get too old and cranky to appreciate it when it does arrive.

i've found the whole genre to be rather stale for the past many years.

bioware is banking on the same formula over and over again

black isle is gone

obsidian is having a hard time really getting their talent to shine

it's time for something to spice things up and make rpg's interesting again.

remember when baldur's gate first arrived? it made a splash because it got people excited about rpg's again.

remember fallout? yeah that was a totally stale game right? just a rip off of black isles earlier work... oh wait no it wasnt it was about as fresh and original a crpg as they come (even if it was based on wasteland)

remember final fantasy 6? when a story ENDED THE WORLD HALFWAY THROUGH THE GAME. yeah, i'd seen that happen so many times that I just yawned and put down the controller when it happened... oh wait no I didnt I became completely enamored with console rpgs for the next several years, all the way until final fantasy X when it seemed like the fire had died again.

my point? it's coming about time for something major to happen in the rpg world. I don't see it yet on the horizon, but sometime soon it should happen.

(I'm not saying all rpgs now are terrible, the witcher was decent, but we need the next step in the evolution and mass effect isn't it. NEITHER ARE MMO'S!!!!!)

end rant

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"bioware is banking on the same formula over and over again"

Agreed. And, that formula is release quality games that people want to play. What losers them guys are!

"remember when baldur's gate first arrived? it made a splash because it got people excited about rpg's again."

And, the funny thing is that almost ALL the newer BIO/OBS/Troika games have better role-playing than BG did. *shrug*

The genre should be pushed forward not remain stagnant. BG was a fun game for its time but if it came out now it would not be as popular or considered as good as it was. It's a product of its time when standards of actual role-playing in role-playing games was rather low.

Lack of real differences in dialogue choice, lack of multiple endings, very few C&C, lack of combat options, etc., etc.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"bioware is banking on the same formula over and over again"

Agreed. And, that formula is release quality games that people want to play. What losers them guys are!

"remember when baldur's gate first arrived? it made a splash because it got people excited about rpg's again."

And, the funny thing is that almost ALL the newer BIO/OBS/Troika games have better role-playing than BG did. *shrug*

The genre should be pushed forward not remain stagnant. BG was a fun game for its time but if it came out now it would not be as popular or considered as good as it was. It's a product of its time when standards of actual role-playing in role-playing games was rather low.

Lack of real differences in dialogue choice, lack of multiple endings, very few C&C, lack of combat options, etc., etc.

you totally missed my point

I'm saying that bioware keeps ripping off their own games and doesnt do anything original. they havent moved things forwards in ten years. the last thing i want is a return to BG. we've already played that game

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"you totally missed my point"

You totally missed my point. I got what you wer egetting at. I just twisted it so it is more logic and is based in reality. BIO's formula is simple: make quality games that people WANT to play.

"I'm saying that bioware keeps ripping off their own games and doesnt do anything original. they havent moved things forwards in ten years. the last thing i want is a return to BG. we've already played that game"

I disagree. All their games bring different things to the table. Sure, they have similarities but that shouldn't be surprising as they should stick with their strengths. Companies that don't either crash, and burn or 1 in 1 million get lucky and hit jackpot.

ME, JE, KOTOR,a nd DA are all different games that bring different things to the table while still being true to BIO. When I buy a BIO game, I expect a BIO game. Not something else. When I buy an Obsidian game I expect an Obsidian game. Not something else. If I wanted 'something else', I'd have bought something else.

I'm saying that bioware keeps ripping off their own games and doesnt do anything original. they havent moved things forwards in ten years. the last thing i want is a return to BG. we've already played that game

That's the only real issue I have with them. I'd support you further in this discussion but hitting my head on the wall would be a better occupation probably.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

i've found the whole genre to be rather stale for the past many years.

Mask of the Betrayer and Bloodlines. Two out of however-many in three (?) years may not be great, but it's not all bad.

bioware is banking on the same formula over and over again

Yes, but it seems to sell.

it's time for something to spice things up and make rpg's interesting again.

You may be interested in Iron Tower Studios.

(I'm not saying all rpgs now are terrible, the witcher was decent, but we need the next step in the evolution and mass effect isn't it. NEITHER ARE MMO'S!!!!!)

That assumes there's some agreement on what an RPG is, let alone what needs to be evolved to create the next step. Cue circular discussion on what an RPG is and what can change its nature here....

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

The RPG genre isn't dying or dead. On the contrary, it has been strengthening of late thanks to the success of titles like Fallout 3, The Witcher, and Mass Effect. It just might not be going in a direction you like.

And the MMO genre really has no influence on the RPG genre, don't try and fool yourselves. Sure, a single property might decide to go a different direction and publish an MMO. But nobody complains that WoW killed the RTS genre because that is a dumb argument, and so is blaming MMO's for a lack of RPG's.

Fallout 3 and Mess Effect don't count as RPGs. They completely fail to deliver what is expected from RPGs. While not perfect and being quite linear, the Witcher was on the right direction...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Fallout 3 and Mess Effect don't count as RPGs. They completely fail to deliver what is expected from RPGs. While not perfect and being quite linear, the Witcher was on the right direction...

I agree.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

They're as close as you're going to get at the moment.

I would rather not get that crap at all, then... The only game I am looking forward too is Dragon Age and that is only because there isn't anything better...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I would rather not get that crap at all, then... The only game I am looking forward too is Dragon Age and that is only because there isn't anything better...

Have you tried Spiderweb's games? They are old school RPG's.

As I said earlier, just because you don't like the direction RPG's are moving, doesn't mean they aren't RPG's. Genre's change over time, you can either embrace that or find a different hobby. Complaining about it is a waste of time and will not change anything, because it is the sales that drive the direction of a genre.

"Have you tried Spiderweb's games? They are old school RPG's. "

Yeah, reallyc rappy ones. I love 'old skool RPGs'; but SW ones are horrible examples of them.

Ravel: "what can change the nature of an rpg... er man?"

Nameless One: "You Ravel, as you changed me so many years ago."