FO: NV

Tree-ghoul-man thing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I heard there was another Fallout game and Obs was doing it. All I have to say is don't screw it up. Don't get rushed into doing it like you guys did with Kotor2 and don't bore the fans like you did with NWN2.

NWN2 didn't bore me. I really loved that game. Apparently I'm the only one on the planet who did, but I'm still enjoying it to this day. MOTB, not so much. Two play-throughs and I was done with it. Too annoying and aggravating for my tastes. I never even bothered with SOZ.

Actually after reading this forum, it seems like the majority of posters here don't much like anything that's been released in the past decade. Maybe my sights are set too low, but I've played a lot of games in the past years that I have really enjoyed. NWN 2 is high on that list. Don't go dissin' my buds, Neeska, Khelgar, Sand... I mean, what's not to love? :thumbsup:

NWN2 didn't bore me. I really loved that game. Apparently I'm the only one on the planet who did, but I'm still enjoying it to this day. MOTB, not so much. Two play-throughs and I was done with it. Too annoying and aggravating for my tastes. I never even bothered with SOZ.

Not quite the only one on the planet. I much preferred the more open style of NWN2's OC to the One Area-One Plot-Point method of MotB. If it weren't for the fact that the game as a whole chugs quite a bit, and that the camera has a way of driving me nuts, I'd still be playing the OC. Have given it a few retries when the mood strikes, but those technical issues keep driving me back, now that I already know how it turns out. MotB, though... once is enough for that style of game. Am having more fun with SoZ than with MotB, but those technical issues are still a bit of a hurdle.

And just because this isn't a NWN2 thread...

Haven't tried FO3 yet. Not sure if I will, either. Bethesda seems to be gettin' a little too shootery for my tastes. News that Obs is doing some work on it has kinda rekindled my interest, though. Maybe when the price drops.

No your not, I enjoyed both NWN2 and MOTB, but enjoyed MOTB more, best evil path done in a game. SOZ not so much, which seems quite well recieved by the people on this board.

Actually after reading this forum, it seems like the majority of posters here don't much like anything that's been released in the past decade. Maybe my sights are set too low, but I've played a lot of games in the past years that I have really enjoyed. NWN 2 is high on that list.

No they just don't like anything done by Bio since BG and apparently Bethesda is a dirty word.

Don't go dissin' my buds, Neeska, Khelgar, Sand... I mean, what's not to love? :lol:

Or Bishop, he was a great character.

Haven't tried FO3 yet. Not sure if I will, either. Bethesda seems to be gettin' a little too shootery for my tastes. News that Obs is doing some work on it has kinda rekindled my interest, though. Maybe when the price drops.

FO3 wasn't half as bad as folks made out, just wasn't as good as the originals. But was a big improvement over Oblivion. Personally I think most FO purists will dislike FO:NV.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Personally I think most FO purists will dislike FO:NV.

Given that it's done by some of the original developers (before you ask, yes, J.E. Sawyer counts as a developer, since he worked on Van Buren) and Obsidian has a track record of awesome, deep games, I'll ban every self proclaimed "purist" everywhere I have the power to do so, because they are too stupid to exist.

Given that it's done by some of the original developers (before you ask, yes, J.E. Sawyer counts as a developer, since he worked on Van Buren) and Obsidian has a track record of awesome, deep games,

You won't get any argument from me. But I tend to never view anything as set in stone.

I'll ban every self proclaimed "purist" everywhere I have the power to do so, because they are too stupid to exist.

:lol: You better get that hammer out. Because it ain't going to be turn based, isometric etc.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

:lol: You better get that hammer out. Because it ain't going to be turn based, isometric etc.

We got over that a long time ago. Classic gameplay is not coming back, fine. What we cannot forgive nor forget is the total abandonment of great storylines, dialogue, a plausible world and that feeling of immersion.

I've been thinking and came to the conclusion that Bethesda simply failed to understand Fallout.

We got over that a long time ago. Classic gameplay is not coming back, fine. What we cannot forgive nor forget is the total abandonment of great storylines, dialogue, a plausible world and that feeling of immersion.

I didn't feel the world wasn't plausible and I found some parts of it immersive, the story wasn't that bad. However the dialogue was poor when compared to a Bio/Obs game(much better then Oblivions though) and you left out the biggest failure of FO3, NPCs. Not one was memorable and you were lucky if you had more then 2 interactions with the same person, calling them shallow is an understatement.

I've been thinking and came to the conclusion that Bethesda simply failed to understand Fallout.

No, they just gave their vision of it. We just happened to enjoy BIS vision more.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

No, they just gave their vision of it. We just happened to enjoy BIS vision more.

what kind of bass-ackwards comment is this? your sentiment is endearing in a cutesy "let's all be friends, lol!" sort of way, but it's philosophically and logically mistaken. there is only one proper "vision" for Fallout: the original vision. BIS created Fallout. anything else...let me repeat...ANYTHING else is simply an interpretation of this "vision"-proper. as Mikael said, Bethesda did not get Fallout. their interpretation was misdirected and wrong.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

what kind of bass-ackwards comment is this? your sentiment is endearing in a cutesy "let's all be friends, lol!" sort of way, but it's philosophically and logically mistaken. there is only one proper "vision" for Fallout: the original vision. BIS created Fallout. anything else...let me repeat...ANYTHING else is simply an interpretation of this "vision"-proper. as Mikael said, Bethesda did not get Fallout. their interpretation was misdirected and wrong.

Wow.

There's nothing wrong with what Bos_hybrid said. You need to stop taking this stuff so damn seriously.

I didn't feel the world wasn't plausible

Ugh. The world's an amusement park, not a living space. Tell me, where do the settlements get basic necessities, like food and water (except for Rivet City, which has a farm)? How come the Raiders outnumber regular humans 100:1? Why 200 years after the war nobody bothered to salvage the local shop? etc.

and I found some parts of it immersive, the story wasn't that bad.

The story wasn't bad if you're not paying attention to it.

Problem is, their "vision" is composed of plot devices borrowed from previous games hammered into a gaming space made from a scaled down geomap and elements from various post-apocalyptic movies transplanted into the game verbatim.

Hah, I'd say Bethesda 'got' Fallout more so than the devs of Fallout 2, Tactics & especially BoS. At the end of the day, I have FUN playing Fallout 3, despite its flaws.

It's a fun post apocalyptic game, hell I had more fun with it than STALKER with Oblivion lost mod. But as a Fallout game it falls miles short of BIS design/writing, which is surprising especially coming from the guy who did the thief games.

Fallout 3 was kind of up and down as far as writing was concerned. Good writing here, real stinkers there. It had me rolling my eyes in a few spots, but I've experienced worse with some other recent CRPG games.

I kind of feel Twinkie/Grizzly's pain as I know what its like to see a franchise taken in a direction that you completely disagree with. I hate whats become of the CoD franchse after the excellent CoD 1 + expansion. Regening health, what the **** were they thinking!? In that situation though, it was the original makers of the game who decided to ruin their own franchise. I've felt for quite some time that if there was one rpg game that would make an excellent RPG from the FPS viewpoint it would be Fallout.

Also, ruin isn't exactly the right word. It may be ruined for me, but its selling far better than the original game ever did, which I also believe is the situation with Fallout 3.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Hah, I'd say Bethesda 'got' Fallout more so than the devs of Fallout 2, Tactics & especially BoS. At the end of the day, I have FUN playing Fallout 3, despite its flaws.

yeah well if the devs of FO2 "didn't get" Fallout then i wish Bethesda "didn't get" Fallout. :ermm: problem is that Bethesda were after a different audience and took only the wrapping of Fallout and used it to make another TES game. while FO2 might feel more like "Fallout: Wacky Style!" the reality is that FO3 feels more like "Oblivian: Fallout Style!"

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

I'll take Oblivion Fallout style ANY day over Fallout Wacky style. I honestly can't blame Beth if they were going after a 'different audience'. Times have changed, RPGs have changed. How many RPGs do you see anymore with as much depth as the classics? Just look at how much Bioware has been dumbing their RPGs down with each release. Jade Empire & Mass Effect feel more like Diablo with a bit more dialogue. Hell, Diablo II has about 10x more character customization than Jade Empire.

I'll take Oblivion Fallout style ANY day over Fallout Wacky style. I honestly can't blame Beth if they were going after a 'different audience'. Times have changed, RPGs have changed. How many RPGs do you see anymore with as much depth as the classics? Just look at how much Bioware has been dumbing their RPGs down with each release. Jade Empire & Mass Effect feel more like Diablo with a bit more dialogue. Hell, Diablo II has about 10x more character customization than Jade Empire.

hey, you'll never find me defending Bioware, that's for sure.

secondly, yes...obviously you would take "Oblivion: Fallout Style" over "Fallout: Wacky Style" but the fact remains one of them is Fallout and the other is Fallout-style. i think Fallout 3 suffers because the developers and writers there have different personalities. different sense of humor, drama and imo...a very immense lack of creativity. they are emulating the personalities of the original developers and they're coming up short. look, making an NPC curse every few words doesn't make it "adult themed" and it doesn't make it interesting. it just makes a bright flashing light that says "we're constantly attempting to make up for the impotent writing with KABOOM!!!"

at the end of the day, compared to the spirit, originality and writing of the originals...it's an embarrassment and that's all it is.