Chatting up girls in bars

Walsingham

go with shallots or the fancy mushrooms (e.g. ****ake, portabello, etc.). most every woman knows what a shallot is, but we suspect that few has ever actually prepared a dish calling for shallots.

one of my favorite side dishes is sauteed ****ake mushrooms and shallots in a cream sauce. IMO, portabella/o mushrooms aren't fancy, btw, they are simply large crimini mushrooms, but they taste pretty good in general. morels would be fancy. ;)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

go with shallots or the fancy mushrooms (e.g. ****ake, portabello, etc.). most every woman knows what a shallot is, but we suspect that few has ever actually prepared a dish calling for shallots.

one of my favorite side dishes is sauteed ****ake mushrooms and shallots in a cream sauce. IMO, portabella/o mushrooms aren't fancy, btw, they are simply large crimini mushrooms, but they taste pretty good in general. morels would be fancy. ;)

taks

taks is correct that the portabello/a is simply a brown crimini that gets bigger... but the Name is fancy. cap or button not sound kewl at all.

am not sure 'bout the name thing though. have seen it portabello and portabella, but wouldn't it have to be portobello? not that it matters.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am not sure 'bout the name thing though. have seen it portabello and portabella, but wouldn't it have to be portobello? not that it matters.

either, actually, as they are both really marketing terms (you can do a search and find discussions about it, btw). my italian is rusty, but i believe it means "fat cap," which is just a marketing ploy to make a large crimini sound fancy, which it does.

^walsh: my point previously did not really miss the point, even though i concentrated on meeting proper women in general. the point that i did not make clear is that "the greatest conversation ever" is really, IMO, just a conversation in which you are being honestly you. that is all. if it happens to work, then you will have a better idea that the one you've met is either a) ugly, because personality and looks rarely come together (ba dum dum!) or b) actually worth talking to and eventually working on the greatest conversation ever on the spot. ;)

taks

Surely Portabello vs Portabella is determined by what's up the skirt, so to say? ;)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Surely Portabello vs Portabella is determined by what's up the skirt, so to say? :)

yes, very funny... but it still not work. berreto grasso would maybe be fat cap... and in any event, there is no "porta" in Italian, right... is synonymous with Puerto? is a masculine noun. bella/bello = beautiful... likes from belladonna. so you get Porto Bello. beautiful door? almost never see portobello... is typical portabella or portabello.

our latin ain't helping at all... fortis is door and bellus probable sounds right, but we is talking 'bout a thing rather than a person... pulcher? fortis pulcher? doesn't look right. what is we doing wrong.

tell you what, just assume we said porcini 'stead o' portabello... which oddly 'nuff gets us closer to fat cap than did porto bello. porcino is like porcine, right?

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

tell you what, just assume we said porcini 'stead o' portabello... which oddly 'nuff gets us closer to fat cap than did porto bello. porcino is like porcine, right?

hmm, maybe "beautiful" is what it is supposed to be? dunno italian at all (it's not just rusty). porcinis are better shrooms than portabella/os anyway. my typically affordable shroom of choice is the ****ake, but you have to waste half the weight tearing off the stem, so i guess they are coming in at over $30/lb., too, much like morels.

taks

is more than a few recipes in which we utilize mushrooms (we makes a mean bigos), but the idea o' mushrooms seems to offend-- just can't get around the fungi aspect.

fermented potables (we don't drink alcohol, but we does cook with it frequent) and cheeses is something we enjoy much in our food, but we gots a unreasoned prejudice 'gainst fungi... typically use only when cooking for others... impress the ladies.

HA! Good Fun!

Let the reptilian side of the brain take over I say and show ones wit! I always try to be polite at first with a spark of interest and a smile.

Me: So how are your doing this lovely evening?

slout: Im doing great!

Me: I can tell, you look great!

Then ask why shes up there and go on from there!

Give her compliments, ask her questions about who she really is, and be interested. If shes awesome then you dont even have to "act" interested! hehe Give up little about yourself, the less she knows the better I think! I am a flirt so, my only man sense of humor can be over bearing sometimes! :) Yea never tell a girl "Yea id impregnate you" when she asks for a compliment!

If theres a dance floor then you need to get on it seriously. Show confidence, grab her ass! drop a magnum out hahahahahaha jk unless you have those! :lol:

Im not exactly the richest guy out there so I tend to sharpen other more practical skills. Women love a witty, intelligent chap!

Edited by Theseus

yes, very funny... but it still not work. berreto grasso would maybe be fat cap... and in any event, there is no "porta" in Italian, right... is synonymous with Puerto? is a masculine noun. bella/bello = beautiful... likes from belladonna. so you get Porto Bello. beautiful door? almost never see portobello... is typical portabella or portabello.

Oxford English Disctionary suggests that the word was intended as a alteration of pratarolo which it further states is an Italian term for "meadow mushroom"

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

apparently it is not really known, as i've heard other suggestions as well. every woman i've ever known loves shrooms, but typically only cooked (my wife won't put them on a salad but she eats anything i cook).

i would talk about mushrooms, since i like them. shallots, too. yup. i like cooking, too, but i'm not that imaginative.

taks

More field research last night. I'm too hungover now to type up the notes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"I am drunk so why are you still ugly?"

apparently it is not really known, as i've heard other suggestions as well. every woman i've ever known loves shrooms, but typically only cooked (my wife won't put them on a salad but she eats anything i cook).

i would talk about mushrooms, since i like them. shallots, too. yup. i like cooking, too, but i'm not that imaginative.

taks

You know, every woman I know likes mushrooms as well. Though thinking about it, I've only known one man who didn't like mushrooms and that was because he refused to eat a fungus. He thought they were dirty.

I believe Portobello mushrooms are more popular than, say, shiitake because of the size. Long, thick slices of mushroom are more satisfying to nibble on.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

That's Danish beer. Mkreku is doomed to drink Swedish beer :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I believe Portobello mushrooms are more popular than, say, shiitake because of the size. Long, thick slices of mushroom are more satisfying to nibble on.

well, they're like a piece of meat, without actually being meat, so they have a broad appeal which includes vegans and vegetarians. you cook 'em like a steak, too, though not quite as long.

taks

Riveting Mushroom talk guys. Only problem is your detracting on how I'm supposed to pick up chicks.

Should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm a very poor young man who needs help and all you want to do is talk about the portabellas. You sure you guys aint gay?

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Riveting Mushroom talk guys. Only problem is your detracting on how I'm supposed to pick up chicks.

if you pay attention, you might glean the ultimate means by which you can pick up chicks: be yourself while discussing mushrooms with shallots.

i thought that was obvious.

Should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm a very poor young man who needs help and all you want to do is talk about the portabellas. You sure you guys aint gay?

married, with a child, awaiting the next run through the sack with the wife, too. :thumbsup:

taks

I knew a girl who believed that all men possessed - in her words - a "magic mushroom" that she loved dearly.

So perhaps not all is lost in this conversation?

Although I probably wouldn't recommend applying cooking recipes to that particular mushroom.

Edited by Amentep

am not gay, but we likes cooking and gershwin tunes... renoir prints makes all warm and fuzzy, and we has seen Guys and Dolls 'bout a dozen times.

if Gromnir didn't look a bit like an ambulatory fire hydrant, and if our home were decorated better, it would be tough to convince folks that we is straight.

btw, the oed explanation makes sense. am gonna go with that one.

HA! Good Fun!