What are some fun and adventurous things to do

Blank

I am the type of guy, and I'm sure several of you can relate, that is content with the ordinary. I've even prided myself on not having a desire to do one thing or another because I can find equal enjoyment in so many things. This has helped me in many stages of my life. People always like when you enjoy what they enjoy, and when you want to do what they want to do.

Unfortunately, I recently discovered, while talking with my girlfriend, that I perform poorly at being the one who initiates the fun, adventurous, and exciting things for us to do. Of course, she did not outright tell me I sorely lack the initiative, but I got the picture, and I will surely be making this a big priority in the near future.

I have decided to tap into the notorious collective knowledge, genius, eccentricity, and general insanity in the members that this board has accumulated. I've come up with a bunch of ideas on my own, which I will surely be putting into practice in the short term, but for extra assistance I am consulting you, fellow board members. Though my primary source of relationship advice certainly does not come from the internet, I think some of you can offer cool insight and tips.

What are some entertaining, fun, adventurous, or exciting things or activities that you have done with your significant other?

Please list and share.

Travel, intellectual discourse, snowboarding and downhillskiing.

Sorry, no adrenaline-filled and mysterious advice can be found from this poster.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Take her out to lunch and then go on a secret sky-diving adventure with her.

Go to a lake and push her in.

Go window bashing with her.

Edited by awsomeness

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Unfortunately, I recently discovered, while talking with my girlfriend, that I perform poorly at being the one who initiates the fun, adventurous, and exciting things for us to do.

hmm... i'm the one that always initiates things. oh, wait, we might be talking about different things. :)

whatever you do, i don't care what anybody says, any sort of competition should almost always be shunned while dating (if not even after marriage). why? a few situations... first, if one is good at something and the other is not, the one that is good ends up in a teaching role. that rarely works out satisfactorily between couples. if both are good at something, it could get ugly competing to see who is better - things could end up getting mean. that's rarely a good outcome, either. if neither is good at it and both are learning, there is hope for a favorable outcome if one doesn't suddenly outpace the other by learning at a much faster rate. my wife and i started skiing together. i got good rather quickly. we can no longer ski together. that's not even a competitive sport, sheesh.

competition bad in general, IMO, though certainly it depends upon your personalities. if one partner has zero competitiveness, then just about anything can work, though the competitive one still has to avoid embarrassing the other either by beating up on him/her badly, or intentionally letting him/her win.

taks

PS: my wife does ski now and she's actually better than she thinks she is, suffering primarily from a lack of confidence and poor leg strength for skiing. i suffer the latter, too, but i'm willing to keep going even when my legs are burning.

comrade taks... just because.

Hard to give advice without knowing anything about you and yours likes/dislikes. Not that I'd have a great answer anyway...hubby and I have the issue where he's utterly spontaneous/won't commit to anything and I'm more of a planner - plus we hate spending $100 renting jetskis for an hour or whatever. We've been together long enough that these days we just putter around ... :)

But let's see ...

--parasailing

--parachuting

--concerts/plays (make a dinner/night of it)

--roller coaster/amusement parks. If they do night shows/concerts stay and see one.

--conventions on something you two like

--Las Vegas

--Get in your car one weekend, start driving in one direction, and keep going for a day/night. Stop at any town/store/local fair etc. that seems interesting to either of you. Stay overnight at a camp or hotel. We found our fave jerky spot that way.

--helicopter tourist rides

--see sports events live instead of on TV

--horseback riding/tours

--just walk around touristy areas of big city and shop/eat

And finally, remember it's not always that your other wants "uber-exciting" so much as just "get out of the house" and/or "initiating stuff means you care/think/notice about me and my wants (without being told)."

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Defenestration. It's terribly exciting for both parties involved, though admittedly the "terrible" part is not evenly distributed.

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

And finally, remember it's not always that your other wants "uber-exciting" so much as just "get out of the house" and/or "initiating stuff means you care/think/notice about me and my wants (without being told)."

Thanks. Those were good ideas, and the last part is very insightful.

Edited by Blank

Yeah I have the same "problem" Blank.. I do what I can to suprise her everyone now and then, usually with romantic things - the biggest adventure I've had with her was when we went to Paris for an extended weekend, I didn't tell her exactly where we were going until we were at the airport..

I think it's really the small things that count, your willingness to actually plan something just for the 2 of you, or the fact that one of the first things you thought of when the weather changed was her and picnic etc. - like LC said.

Also - It doesn't hurt telling her these things either! :verymad:

Fortune favors the bald.

definitely more fun that defenstration, but that goes back to my original post, too. that little 3-letter word has soooo much utility in life.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Tandem bike riding. But it has to be serious with the whole skin tight suit and helmet. She'll think she's turned you gay which will ignite a fire under her ass to win you back and then it's just smooth sailing to getting laid all the time. Perfect plan.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I'm about to give up some Guy Lore on the internet. So listen in.

Save up some money, and don't be cheap. Then book a short break somewhere nice, a weekend will do. Surprise her with it, make it look dreadfully spontaneous. There is no woman on earth who doesn't completely love this.

Do it twice a year and you can be as boring as you like for the rest of the time quite easily. Trust me, I've been getting away with this for years, I even enjoy the short breaks so it's a complete win-win.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Also, theme parks and zoos score pretty well.

I love zoos. We used to go the SF Zoo every couple of years. But now it's too much hassle to go to SF for something we've already seen a half dozen times.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts