NFL Season 2009

Kelverin

If you read the story, it would have been a tough case to win in court for a DA. The only card the DA had is the elevated blood alcohol level, and .126 is not something that will get you a long jail time unless you have a history. The pedestrian was running across a fast moving intersection. It sounds like the deal he got was in the best interests of all parties.

Founded Years:

Arizona Cardinals: 1920

Atlanta Falcons: 1966

Baltimore Ravens: 1997

Buffalo Bills: 1960

Carolina Panthers: 1995

Chicago Bears: 1920

Cincinnati Bengals: 1968

Cleveland Browns: 1946

Dallas Cowboys: 1960

Denver Broncos: 1960

Detroit Lions: 1930

Green Bay Packers: 1921

Houston Texans: 2002

Indianapolis Colts: 1944

Jacksonville Jaguars: 1995

Kansas City Chiefs: 1960

Miami Dolphins: 1966

Minnesota Vikings: 1961

New England Patriots: 1960

New Orleans Saints: 1967

New York Giants: 1925

New York Jets: 1960

Oakland Raiders: 1960

Philadelphia Eagles: 1933

Pittsburg Steelers: 1933

San Diego Chargers: 1960

San Francisco 49ers: 1946

Seattle Seahawks: 1976

St. Louis Rams: 1937

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 1976

Tennessee Titans: 1960

Washington Redskins: 1932

deicideLogo5.jpg

Before 1920: The Cardinals roots actually stretch back to 1898 when a neighborhood group that gathered to play football in a predominantly Irish area of Chicago's South Side, playing under the name Morgan Athletic Club. Chris O'Brien, a painting and decorating contractor acquired the team later, and soon its playing site changed to nearby Normal Field, prompting the new name Normals. In 1901, the team gained longstanding identification when O'Brien, finding a bargain, bought used jerseys from the nearby University of Chicago. The jerseys were faded maroon in color, prompting O'Brien to declare, "That's not maroon, it's Cardinal red!" The club's permanent nickname had been born! In Chicago at the time, football competition was exclusively amateur, but such opposition became increasingly hard to find, so in 1906, the team disbanded. In 1913, O'Brien reorganized the Cardinals. By 1917 they were able to buy new uniforms and hire a coach, Marshall Smith. That year they lost only two games and were champions of the Chicago Football League. The war in Europe and a flu epidemic in the United States forced the team to suspend operations once again in 1918. Following Armistice Day, O'Brien organized the Cardinals for a third time. From that day forward, the Cardinals have been a permanent part of the professional football scene in America.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/azchi/cardschi.html

The Cardinals ARE the oldest team in the NFL. They've been in several locations too including, Arizona, Phoenix, Chicago, and St. Louis. But for something different, I'll just say that the Vikings probably have the best lineup. Remember the Vikes drafted John David Booty for QB, starting QB might be Favre so the Offense would look like this:

C: Matt Birk

LG: Steve Hutchinson

LT: Bryan McKinnie

RG: Anthony Herrera

RT: Ryan Cook

QB: Brett Favre

FB: Tony Richardson

HB: Adrian Peterson/Chester Taylor

WR: Sidney Rice

WR: Bernard Berrian

WR: Bobby Wade

WR: Aundrae Allison

TE: Visanthe Shiancoe

TE: Jim Kliensasser

As for defense:

DT: Pat Williams

DT: Kevin Williams

DE: Ray Edwards

DE: Kenechi Udeze

MLB: E.J. Henderson

ROLB: Ben Leber

LOLB: Chad Greenway

CB: Antoine Winfield

CB: Cedric Griffin

SS: Darren Sharper

FS: Ben Sapp

And Special Teams:

K: Ryan Longwell

P: Chris Kluwe

LS: Cullen Loeffler

H: Tevaris Jackson

KR: Bobby Wade

PR: Bobby Wade

Edited by Nihilus5078

deicideLogo5.jpg

I'll just say that the Vikings probably have the best lineup.

Games are never won on paper.

True, but a line-up can make a slight difference, miracles have happened, especially college games have been won when a team was down by 20 points and only 45 seconds left on the play clock.

deicideLogo5.jpg

p.s. you guys do FF leagues?

Yeah, somebody mentioned a few pages back that they'd be interested in participating in a board-denizen fantasy league. If we have enough interest, I'd be happy to get it organized. I suppose fairly standard rules would be a good idea to encourage participation by more the casual fans (in an ideal world, I like to add lots of unusual custom rules that bring fantasy performance more in-line with what determines real-football success, like negative points-per-carry for RBs and negative points-per-attempt for QBs), but I like to base the roster size & number of starting spots by the size of the league. In my view, the smaller the league, the more starting spots you should have to fill. The art in setting up fantasy rules is getting the right balance between random chance and rewarding intelligent choices. When small (8- or even 10-team) leagues have small starting rosters, you end up with the scenario where everybody is starting all-pros and the randomness of matchups and start-sit guesses ends up washing out whatever expertise each player has.

well, i like your philosophy but imo it should be kept a bit on the standard side (though i do like including DB's and DL's) but the only real way to gauge if and how we should go about it is to start a thread and get some polling going on.

I don't see why we can't keep it in this thread for the time being. We can just keep a general tally of how many interested bodies we've got to see if it would be worth our time.

I'm not a fan of IDP leagues because tackle stats are among the least informative stats in football. Plus, they can be intimidating to less-experienced players because it dramatically expands the scope of players they would have to research. I was talking about core offensive player positions. E.g., with a 8-team league, I'd do something like have us start 2 QBs, 3 RBs, and 4WRs, while a 10-team would be 2-2-3, respectively, and a 12-team would be 1-2-3.

Edited by Enoch

Former Titans, Ravens QB McNair found dead at 36

Former NFL quarterback and 2003 league co-MVP Steve McNair has been shot and killed.

Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron confirmed that police were called to a residence and found McNair and a woman shot to death inside. Aaron said authorities don't yet know the circumstances of the shooting.

"I don't have any answers for you now as to what's happened, who's responsible," he said.

Aaron said police have tentatively identified the woman but did not release her name.

The former Titans and Ravens quarterback was the franchise leader in wins by a starting quarterback and was the single-season record-holder in passer rating.

He was drafted third overall by the Houston Oilers in 1995 after a sparkling career at then-Div. I-AA Alcorn State.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

RIP :grin:

Browns WR Stallworth Released From Miami Jail

Jul 10, 9:20 AM (ET) Email this Story

MIAMI (AP) - Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has been released from a Miami jail after serving 24 days for DUI manslaughter.

His attorney, Christopher Lyons, says Stallworth was released from the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center early Friday.

The 28-year-old Stallworth served 24 days of the 30-day jail sentence after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter. Stallworth struck and killed a pedestrian in an early morning crash March 14. Police said he had spent the night drinking at a swank Miami Beach nightclub.

Stallworth has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL. He signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year, finishing with 17 catches for 170 yards and a touchdown.

Wow, un-F-ing-believable.

Former Titans, Ravens QB McNair found dead at 36

Former NFL quarterback and 2003 league co-MVP Steve McNair has been shot and killed.

Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron confirmed that police were called to a residence and found McNair and a woman shot to death inside. Aaron said authorities don't yet know the circumstances of the shooting.

"I don't have any answers for you now as to what's happened, who's responsible," he said.

Aaron said police have tentatively identified the woman but did not release her name.

The former Titans and Ravens quarterback was the franchise leader in wins by a starting quarterback and was the single-season record-holder in passer rating.

He was drafted third overall by the Houston Oilers in 1995 after a sparkling career at then-Div. I-AA Alcorn State.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

RIP :p

Sucks, I actually saw Steve play in college against Prairie A&M

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

• 2 weeks later...

2009 NFL training camp dates

NFL TRAINING CAMPS

Rookie and veteran reporting dates (subject to change)

AFC

Baltimore Ravens McDaniel College, Westminster, Md. July 27 July 29

Buffalo Bills St. John Fisher College July 25 July 25

Cincinnati Bengals Georgetown College, Georgetown, Ky. July 30 July 30

Cleveland Browns Browns Training Facility, Berea, Ohio July 24 July 31

Denver Broncos Paul D. Bowlen Memorial Centre, Englewood, Colo. July 30 July 30

Houston Texans Methodist Training Center, Houston July 26 July 31

Indianapolis Colts Rose-Hulman Institute, Terre Haute, Ind. Aug. 2 Aug. 2

Jacksonville Jaguars Municipal Stadium, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 2 Aug. 2

Kansas City Chiefs Wisconsin-River Falls, River Falls, Wis. July 31 July 31

Miami Dolphins Dolphins Training Center, Davie, Fla. Aug. 1 Aug. 1

New England Patriots Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Mass. July 26 July 29

New York Jets Cortland State, Cortland, N.Y. July 27 July 30

Oakland Raiders Napa Valley Marriott, Napa July 29 July 29

Pittsburgh Steelers Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa. July 31 July 31

San Diego Chargers Chargers Park, San Diego July 27 July 31

Tennessee Titans Baptist Sports Park, Nashville, Tenn. July 31 July 30

NFC

Arizona Cardinals Northern Arizona U., Flagstaff, Ariz. July 29 July 29

Atlanta Falcons Falcons Training Facility, Flowery Branch, Ga. July 31 July 31

Carolina Panthers Wofford College, Spartanburg, S.C. Aug. 2 Aug. 2

Chicago Bears Olivet Nazarene, Bourbonnais, Ill. July 31 July 31

Dallas Cowboys Alamodome, San Antonio July 29 July 29

Detroit Lions Lions Training Facility, Allen Park, Mich. July 31 July 31

Green Bay Packers St. Norbert College, De Pere, Wis. July 31 July 31

Minnesota Vikings Minnesota State-Mankato July 30 July 30

New Orleans Saints Saints Training Facility, Metairie, La. July 30 July 30

New York Giants U. of Albany, N.Y. Aug. 3 Aug. 3

Philadelphia Eagles Lehigh U., Bethlehem, Pa. July 26 July 29

St. Louis Rams Russell Training Center, Earth City, Mo. July 30 July 31

San Francisco 49ers Marie P. DeBartolo Sports Center, Santa Clara July 28 July 30

Seattle Seahawks Virginia Mason Athletic Center, Renton, Wash. July 30 July 31

Tampa Bay Buccaneers One Buccaneer Place, Tampa, Fla. July 31 July 31

Washington Redskins Redskins Park, Ashburn, Va. July 29 July 29

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...62750/?chargers

NEW YORK -- Michael Vick was conditionally reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and could play in regular season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell said then that Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19).

Goodell called a news conference for late Monday afternoon.

The announcement came after a busy first week of freedom for Vick, who met with union leaders and Goodell on consecutive days last week. His 23-month federal sentence ended when an electronic monitor was removed from his ankle early on July 20 at his home in Hampton, Va.

He met with DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, last Tuesday and, on Wednesday, he sat down with Goodell at a security firm in Allendale, N.J.

Vick released a statement through agent Joel Segal.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given.

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward."

Edited by Gfted1