Dollhouse

Purkake

the plot takes some pretty weird turns later on.

Try replacing 'weird' with 'stupid'. Angel got absolutely ridiculous in the last few seasons, and not ridiculous in a fun or enjoyable way.

This must have been the part I saw then. The whole part with Angel's son and stuff, that was later seasons I suppose? It was wildly ridiculous anyway.

The plot just went to **** when they introduced Angel's son and killed off Cordelia.

I suppose the very last season was a bit better, from memory. They had Spike and the weird demon god fighting with them, right?

The plot just went to **** when they introduced Angel's son and killed off Cordelia.

I suppose the very last season was a bit better, from memory. They had Spike and the weird demon god fighting with them, right?

Yup, she was called Illyria. Too bad

Fred

had to die, that was a really sad episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, really good episode this week, easily the best this season and among the best of the series, heavy stuff.

Whedon's style really shined here, even if you've given up on Dollhouse check this episode out(ep 4 of season 2), it's worth it.

The writing on Echo's sleeping "pod" was super creepy, I really hope she didn't do it with her fingernails :(

Edited by Purkake

I'm glad they had more Boyd this episode. With Ballard joining the Dollhouse there hasn't been enough of him and I like his character much more than Ballard's.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I like when

Boyd asks his old buddy if 'Goose' is around to take care of the body. His character shone in this episode as layered and calculated, pragmatically using his past as a gang member to benefit his own ends.

That was my favorite part.

Edited by Blank

• 3 weeks later...

So yeah, Dollhouse is cancelled:

On November 11, 2009, The Hollywood Reporter announced that the show had been cancelled. Fox passed on ordering more episodes of the show. However, Fox will air the rest of the 13-episode order. After airing the back-to-back episodes in December 2009, the final three episodes will air during January 2010, with the final episode airing January 22, 2010.

Too bad. Dollhouse is really underrated. But, with low viewership (DH, IIRC, had the lowest ratings ever for a show to be renewed on a major network), and mixed reviews, not surprising at all.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 3 weeks later...

Joss Whedon should have nothing to do with FOx. I knew this was going to happen when the series started. Fox didn't before to him with Firefly and now DOllhouse. I hope he doesn't try to do a third series with them. They just aren't worth it.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

To be fair, the rating were totally in the toilet and FOX did give him a second season. No network would have kept Dollhouse around with ~2 million viewers and at least they're airing all the remaining episodes.

Joss needs to do more cool internet stuff like Dr. Horrible.

Purkake is right. Dollhouse, in fact, has the record for lowest rated series to be renewed for a 2nd one. And, it wans't like DH wasn't advertised as it was. The audience simply wasn't there, and I say that being a fan of the show. Fox, really had little choice to canceling it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I personally think cancelling shows on pure viewing figures seems dull and unimaginative. I thought most shows made three or four times as much on DVD sales than viewing. A cult show may make less dribbling dullards watch it on a daily basis, but sell bajillions over the next 20 years. Plus cult shows have superior merchandising potential.

I'm not saying it definitely makes sense to keep dodgy shows, but I'd like to see some figures because my instinct tells me that the numbers would work out better.

Actually, as an aside, I'd have thought network execs would prefer to have a more complex yardstick than figures, since it raises the uncomfortable question of why there isn't a simply box hooked up between the figures and the financing. Cut the execs entirely.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The plot thickens! The last two episodes were pretty awesome even without Summer Glau and Ray Wise, oh and Victor-Topher was epic. Joss really manages to create nice characters, I even liked Cindy the evil handler, she was surprisingly competent. All the Bennett-Topher stuff was was also great and Summer Glau as a crazy geeky scientist :brows:

So yeah, awesome episodes.

Edited by Purkake

Well, television makes money on commercials. No viewers = nobody watching the commercials = advertisers pulling their commercials/money paid to the show to show their commercials = no money to make new shows.

That might be true in principle. Actually :) it IS true in principle. But FOX are huge. They could weather a few seasons underperforming if it would net them a big return long term.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Like I say I'm making an economic case. If it turned out that pumping shows based on more than immediate viewing figures wasn't a better commercial approach then I wouldn't advocate it.

My argument is simply that dropping a show based on a few week's ratings strikes me as being inherently vulnerable to external factors, and unrepresentative of the show's true worth to the company.

-Elwood Blues

Okay, just watched it. Yeah I know I'm late. But I have to wait much less for the next two-parter than you guys. :blush:

Here are my random impressions, all very randomy.

Enver Gjokaj is my new God! Seriously awesome. He's like the new Nathan Fillion, only he's Enver. There's just no way to describe it. This episode reminded me of a Buffy quote "It's about power." I loved it how they are all working together... somewhat

Edited by Winterwolf

Enough with the dancing clown.