Dragon Age Discussion

deganawida

The delay is allowing me to get some much needed upgrades before its release. These are the upgrades I am getting:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3.0 ghz Quad Core)

AMD 790GX motherboard

Two Saphire Raedeon HD 4780s in Crossfire

1000 Watt Ultra X3 modular power system

6 1.5 TB Hard Drives

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

16 Gig of RAM

I will be ordering the CPU, Motherboard, and the 1st video card next week. After that I will be setting aside $300 a month to upgrade the computer til I have everything.

You crazy, man! Also it is kind of a waste to put an AMD processor in it. It's like making an awesome chocolate cake and then putting mustard on it just because.

If you need to take over the world/redirect an asteroid/download the internet you're set.

Oh and :lol: at buying something with Fatal1ty in the name. Do you also burn $100 dollar bills? :p

EDIT: If you are planning on getting Vista/Windows 7 there are some serious problems with X-Fi cards and the OSs.

Edited by Purkake

I am using Vista and a baseline X-Fi card. No real problems here.

Hmm, maybe Creative finally fixed it then. I remember there being a huge uproar about the compatibility issues.

I have a X-Fi gamer card, but I only got it because my on-board audio died for some reason. I have XP so I haven't personally tested it.

But still, Fatal1ty? Really? I'm sure you could get the non-Fatal1ty one for like half the price.

Edited by Purkake

Well, the Sound card is low on the list of priorities, but where I plan on buying it is currently selling it at $150. A non-Fatal1ty card of the same type is going at $100.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Well, the Sound card is low on the list of priorities, but where I plan on buying it is currently selling it at $150. A non-Fatal1ty card of the same type is going at $100.

I just feel that the Fatal1ty-brand doesn't add anything but the cost and I kinda hate his whoring himself out.

Anyway, why AMD? Intel is clearly superior at the moment. I love AMD as much as the next guy, but I'd buy a Core i7 over Phenom II without hesitation.

I just feel that the Fatal1ty-brand doesn't add anything but the cost and I kinda hate his whoring himself out.

Anyway, why AMD? Intel is clearly superior at the moment. I love AMD as much as the next guy, but I'd buy a Core i7 over Phenom II without hesitation.

The AMD Phenom II X4 940 is going at $240 while its Intel equivelent, the Core i7 940, is going at $610. Both have the same base processing power with AMD being a third the price.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The AMD Phenom II X4 940 is going at $240 while its Intel equivelent, the Core i7 940, is going at $610. Both have the same base processing power with AMD being a third the price.

Hmm interesting... I wasn't aware of the pricing differences, no wonder Intel is taking losses if AMD can sell their stuff at third of the price.

But you ARE going to overclock it, right? That's where the real fun is.

You crazy, man! Also it is kind of a waste to put an AMD processor in it. It's like making an awesome chocolate cake and then putting mustard on it just because.
You don't know much about hardware, do you.
Actually, the X4 940 is about as fast as an Q9550, at about the same price (around here). The i7 940 is faster in many scenarios. And yeah, overclocking's a must with this processor, as it's really easy to do and it should work at stock voltage and with stock cooler at around 3.4GHz :) Better cooling instantly rewards with better overclock results, but beware of high temperatures, because AMD set the max. (external) temperature before downclocking to 62 Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

You don't know much about hardware, do you.

I used to know, but I have gotten a bit rusty. The first Phenoms were pretty much destroyed by Intel, I didn't know that the new ones were that much better.

I have done my fare share of overclocking. I got a cheap AMD Opteron 165 at 1.8GHz and overclocked it to 2.6GHz which seems to be the max. It has worked perfectly for 2 years. I don't mess with overclocking daily, though.

The delay is allowing me to get some much needed upgrades before its release. These are the upgrades I am getting:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 (3.0 ghz Quad Core)

AMD 790GX motherboard

Two Saphire Raedeon HD 4780s in Crossfire

1000 Watt Ultra X3 modular power system

6 1.5 TB Hard Drives

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

16 Gig of RAM

I will be ordering the CPU, Motherboard, and the 1st video card next week. After that I will be setting aside $300 a month to upgrade the computer til I have everything.

I thought my computer was overkill. But I bought it more than a half a year ago, so it must be outdated by now.

But you ARE going to overclock it, right? That's where the real fun is.

Only if I need to. Four cores running at 3 ghz, I should have to overclock it for a good long time.

Oh boy. Dragon Age going to be consolized. Wasn't it supposed to be PC exclusive that people had been bragging of years ago?

This discussion was new last summer, where have you been the last 8 months or so? :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Its a marketing ploy for a much grander world wide release. A multiplatform release can garner a lot of publicity. Bethesda has done it for Fallout 3 and Oblivion quite successfully, and now EA wants to share in that success. Of course that also brings it close to Mass Effect 2's multiplatform release.

Oh, come on, I can't be only one boycotting this? I thought us PC gamers had values. Are we going to sit back and let Bioware step on us like this? We need to show that PC gamers are not to be messed around with!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)