What you did today

Gorth

It probably betrays some deep flaw in my character that I'm deriving so much pleasure from someone elses difficulties. Especially with an organization so despicable and evil as the IRS. But I think I would have traded ten years off my life to have been a fly on the wall when her tax guy told her the news. Everytime I think of it.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

I can't think of it at the moment, but the Germans have a word for that

EDIT: got it, schadenfreude

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You're so lucky Lost is starting Shryke. Sweet Jesus I'm angry.

I'll just say that words escape me at the moment. Other than I'm angry.

Edit: I still love you though.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Doesn't that word exist in English? Maybe the notion doesn't either - well, except for GD :( There's certainly a Japanese word for it though...

Schadenfreude is a German word, but has been adopted into English. So yes, it exists.

Edit: similar terms in English are 'sadism' and 'dark/black humour'.

Edited by Krezack

I got up this morning to go to the dentist again. They discovered three cavities when I went last week so I was called back to have them filled this morning. My streak of "OW! I can still feel that drill!" remains unbroken. Needed a second dose of whatever they use to numb your face for the front two cavities (same tooth). Only needed one dose for the back tooth. The right side of my face from my upper lip to just below my eye is all still numb. It's really wierd trying to blink when your eyelid is frozen.

I hate the dentist. They never fail to stick five needles into my gums and then drill because I wont go numb.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

never had a cavity myself... heard they suck. so sorry. :)

nothing wrong with deriving pleasure from the suffering of an evil ex-wife, GD. be glad you didn't have children, however, because then you'd feel morally obligated to help.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

never had a cavity myself... heard they suck. so sorry. :(

These are my first in about 5-6 years now. Before that I went through a period where I had several almost every time I went to the dentist so I've got a crap load of fillings. I've actually got one that is about 60/40 tooth to filling. I recall my current dentist being taken aback when he first saw it and making some comment about being surprised how well it's held together. Never had a problem with pain except for when the dentist pokes the cavity with his sharp metal tools to illustrate where it is.

Honestly, having to get up at 7am again was the worst part of the whole thing. >_<

never had a cavity myself... heard they suck. so sorry. :(

These are my first in about 5-6 years now. Before that I went through a period where I had several almost every time I went to the dentist so I've got a crap load of fillings. I've actually got one that is about 60/40 tooth to filling. I recall my current dentist being taken aback when he first saw it and making some comment about being surprised how well it's held together. Never had a problem with pain except for when the dentist pokes the cavity with his sharp metal tools to illustrate where it is.

Honestly, having to get up at 7am again was the worst part of the whole thing. >_<

I too have the problem of having to be knocked loopy because they have to use so much numbing agent. A couple of my teeth actually have false tips because the teeth chipped for various reasons. I hate the fact you feel nothing for a few hours then when the stuff wears off you've got an ache where the needle was inserted into your gums.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Shryke: :ermm: Thank you! That yellow flower's nice touch, too.

Krezack: Yes, sadism is pretty close in meaning, if one leaves out the sexual aspect. Black humor not so much though, as Schadenfreude means "damage happiness" (no wonder no direct translation exists, that sounds pretty stupid), laughing at other's damage, and black humor isn't quite the same thing.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I agonised over a couple of emails to professors while applying for my Masters. It's really weird because unlike a Ph.D it's not quite clear what you're supposed to say, but if done well it can help.

Also thought a bit about the Obsidian anniversary competition the squad's holding for you peeps. Lots of mumbo jumbo.

:gripe: I was supposed to have a phone interview with the unemployment office today, but I wasn't able to get to the phone fast enough to pick up in time (our message machine picks up after 2 rings when it's got a message on it, and then they left a REALLY short message) and thus might be denied benefits for the last four weeks.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

:gripe: I was supposed to have a phone interview with the unemployment office today, but I wasn't able to get to the phone fast enough to pick up in time (our message machine picks up after 2 rings when it's got a message on it, and then they left a REALLY short message) and thus might be denied benefits for the last four weeks.

Seinfeld moment! >_<

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I agonised over a couple of emails to professors while applying for my Masters. It's really weird because unlike a Ph.D it's not quite clear what you're supposed to say, but if done well it can help.

hmmm... neither my master's degree nor did i know what to say to anyone, nor did i know what i wanted to do specifically.

for the MS, i simply went around to all the professors i knew (got my MS at the same school as my BS, MST-MSM-UMR-Esquire) and asked about the different projects they were doing and/or the types of things they liked. i ended up settling on either the computer engineering dude or one of the comm dudes (actually a "chick") and the comm professor had an opening for a paid internship, so i went with her. for my phd, my eventual adviser was consulting with my company and he told me he'd advise me and i should get a phd, so i did. what was i thinking??? >_<

taks

i had a beer lunch today. trinity brewing company again. this time i did the awaken stout (nitrated) and the soul horkey. gouda cheese bread bowl with some belgian fries and chipotle ketchup for my meal. mmmm...

you guys would really, really be surprised that someone like me would feel at home in a place like trinity.

taks

you guys would really, really be surprised that someone like me would feel at home in a place like trinity.

taks

Why wouldn't you? Heck you should feel at home most anywhere.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

well, trinity brewing is definitely hippy central, and since most everyone in here thinks i'm some hard-core right-wing religious conservative eating weekly dinners with rush limbaugh... ahem. >_<

taks

Master's Degree sent in for printing(about 3 months too late, lazy me). All in all 115 pages, yay me!

Been doing some more system administrative work today. I am part of a larger team of administers and for one ongoing project, and later this year i am assigned to be the sole admin for another one. Since the times are going worse, everyone has been assigned to multiple roles, yay >_< However, I am suprised how little coding it involves though, and the support is usually handled by the support engineers. Most of my time is spent on debating with the design engineers on what features should be implemented or not for their engineering tools.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

for the MS, i simply went around to all the professors i knew (got my MS at the same school as my BS, MST-MSM-UMR-Esquire) and asked about the different projects they were doing and/or the types of things they liked. i ended up settling on either the computer engineering dude or one of the comm dudes (actually a "chick") and the comm professor had an opening for a paid internship, so i went with her. for my phd, my eventual adviser was consulting with my company and he told me he'd advise me and i should get a phd, so i did. what was i thinking???

The torture involved in international applications.

If I stayed here in NZ I can do a Ph.D straight away (and finish by the time I'm 23), and most likely get full scholarship, to boot. Instead I'm trying desperately to get in a school in North America so I can, uh... get a Masters instead and haemmorhage my finances. :)

I already know what I want to do, at least.

We put our cat down today. He was like 18 or 19 years old and my mom has been hysterical since. In part becuase she wanted to watch them do the procedure and he was like a third son to her or a first since I'm near incapable of emotion and my bro is an a hole. It had to be done though becuase he was really old and starting to bleed internally. Not to mention there was signs of cancer last year so it was just a matter of time.

Now I get to read a bunch of management and finance stuff for class since I'm a week late and do all this crap tonight.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.