Fallout 3

Gorth

I haven't made it particularly far into FO:T, but I think my only complaint so far would be the frequency of random encounters. I dread going anywhere... so I stopped going anywhere and shelved the game until I gather the courage to do another trip between two locations :)

I wonder if there is a way to lower the frequency?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I haven't made it particularly far into FO:T, but I think my only complaint so far would be the frequency of random encounters. I dread going anywhere... so I stopped going anywhere and shelved the game until I gather the courage to do another trip between two locations :)

I used to farm those things. I would load up in one of the vehicles and take all my spare crappy ammo and drive my team around until they used up all their lousy ammo on random encounters. IIRC, the only ones that are tough are the supermutant ones, but I had strategies for those. Can't remember what those stregies were anymore though. lol.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If it's anything like Fallouts 1 and 2 there should be an .ini file or somesuch with a variable that affects the frequency of random encounters. IIRC it's how the Fallout 2 Restoration / Unofficial Patch makers were able to optimize the game for processors that are much faster than Interplay / Black Isle expected the game to run on.

I'll give it an extra look through and see if I can find such a thing. Most of the "staged" combat had been nice so far.

@Crashgirl, it wasn't so much that it was hard, more like a bit on the tedious side being a test of patience more than anything. I do sort of like the combat, just not when it becomes repetitive.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You know, I've never played Fallout: Tactics. I've also never played FO:BOS. I'm ashamed to say that the reason I didn't play FO:T is because I bought into some of the anti-hype about the game at the time. Too bad, since I probably would have found something to enjoy. As for FO:BOS, I didn't really care about the anti-hype so much as I don't like playing ranged people on consoles. I mean, I think it essentially used the BG:DA engine, which would have been fine, but I never like playing the archer in that game and I didn't think the engine lent itself quite as well to a Fallout style game. Having decided in advance not to get it, the vitriol folks spat at it just didn't seem to matter anyhow.

I've had pretty good luck on this board. I lurked here a few months before I started posting and I've found that the advice I've taken has generally been good.

As far as the basic idea of preserving Fallout's "purity," I agree with Gromnir entirely. Even Fallout 1 had some campy humor, and it took itself too seriously sometimes. It was a great game, and I loved it, but it was never a super serious idea. Hell, stick the attack of the 50 foot woman in there eating bramin and tossing around corvegas and she'll fit right in. I think Fallout 3 falls somewhere between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 in terms of goofy humor. All of them have some serious/gritty moments but each of the three is an homage to 50s-60s cinema and popular literature... with a lot of 30s-40s music thrown into the mix.

The idea of the Fallout bible is actually very cool. ...But the seriousness, the downright meanness of the effort undermines one of the best aspects of a game franchise that celebrates with humor a culture for whom the threat of nuclear annihilation was anything but funny.

I think Fallout 3 falls somewhere between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 in terms of goofy humor.

really? i think they could have amped up the goofyness in Fallout 3 a little more.

they got the ultraviolence about right though.

dumber than a bag of hammers

An SDK has been announced (called, of course, GECK) for release in December. Also, DLC in the first three months of next year.

January - Operation: Anchorage, in which you enter a simulation of the battle of Anchorage against the Red Chinese. Should be interesting, if a little heavy on the combat.

February - The Pitt, in which you travel to the ruins of Pittsburgh, now a hub for raiders.

March - Broken Steel (or something), which will allow you to continue the game past the original ending, become a member of the BoS, and destroy the Enclave. Apparently.

Those sound fairly substantial, almost like x-packs. Sure beats Horse Armor. lol.

Awesome on the SDK. The mods will be awesome. Guaranteed.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Based on how they usually do it. Of course they could be proper expansions, but they don't sound like it.

i thought we'd moved past the knee-jerk anti-bethesda bashing.

oh well.

the other two seem a little meh but The Pitt sounds cool.

dumber than a bag of hammers

You know any other company that actually bothers to charge 5 cents for an 'expansion' consisting of nothing more than a new suit of armor.

I mean it's fine that they do this to keep the interest alive, but I would much prefer they spent their time creating something half way complete.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm not keen on the short expansions. I would rather have one large expansion, same as Gorgon. I'll probably wait for a proper expansion and pay for that. Note that this doesn't mean I demand a large expansion for a small price. I would rather pay more for one expansion with a lot of new content than less for a bunch of small expansions. Five cents for armor sounds like they're nickle and.. well... nickling us to death. haha erm. Sorry.

FO3 is a wonderful title, so I'm sure they can come out with some hefty expansions. Didn't they do that with Oblivion?

Knights of the nine is just a series of quests, Shivering Isles is a proper expansion. I mention a suit of armor because they have actually done that, not because I think that's what the new module is.

A new quest line wouldn't make me want to play FO3 again.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If you don't want to muck about with .ini-files, just have one of your characters pump up survival a bit and you can pretty much chose what encounters to fight.

Knights of the nine is just a series of quests, Shivering Isles is a proper expansion. I mention a suit of armor because they have actually done that, not because I think that's what the new module is.

A new quest line wouldn't make me want to play FO3 again.

Its just not a new quest line, but three new quest lines, with one taking place after the game "ends." Also that is just the beginning. Imagine if every mod Bethesda released for Oblivion was the scope and size of Kot9.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Its just not a new quest line, but three new quest lines, with one taking place after the game "ends."

That means

you survive the ending

, making that one worth buying for that fact alone.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Its just not a new quest line, but three new quest lines, with one taking place after the game "ends."

That means

you survive the ending

, making that one worth buying for that fact alone.

You do have the option of surviving by having paladin 'whatsherface' go in instead of you. No idea how you'd be able to continue after turning into a pile of irradiated dust, unless they alter that ending too.

I think the DLC stuff sounds rather cool.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat