Long rant on RPGs and comments on Obsidian

RPGmasterBoo

I couldn't say that I am a big PRG fan. I'm actually tired of the games where you have surely to kill to kill, bring death and destruction to your enemies and all that! Year I know this is a rant about RPGs but let me stick with my opinion about the games 'in a whole'. I've recently found out that I'm tired of killing - this is just not the most interesting game process you can bring in. I love Planescape, it's of my most favorites games coz of it's atmosphere that is unique, but I think it more of a quest than an RPG, yeah. It is like a book with beatifull pictures. You can implement a fight in a good book, but that should not be a main priority in a story. Why there are no drama stories, or komedies, or some mix. You can't imagine a good story without violence? I'm just tried of that stupid action the whole point of which is to shoot enemies with you cursor. Is it really so fan? This game mechanics is dominating. I've been searching for nice original games, that I really enjoy playin. You know what I've found? Ballance, Gumboy (bouth) and Portal. All this three games are actually casual, so ppl that make them can do this on their own, thay don't need a giant budget, that's why they managed to do such original and fresh games with ideas of a interesting gameplay. There where well stated genres that everybody is working in: RTS, RPG, FPS and some mixes. Everybody is working in this frames but noone is trying to make a new game with new concept and new rules. New gampley concept. There are some that try. Some wired games that come out one or another year. Like there a was a game "Vangers" that appeared in 1998 somewhere. Ouuh it was FUC*IN ILL, I mean in a good sence of that :) Nobody have done anything like that before and still not. And it has a very strong atmospere (it's a sci-fi actually) like Planescape for exp. Or I have recently played Sanitarium (it's a pure quest), the game of 1997 I have heard before but did not play. IT IS ABSOLUTLY AWESOME.

So maybe no need to work in genres boundaries, maybe you (devs) should try smth new?

From the games you mentioned I have not played any of BG or NWW coz I don't like tolkien based fantasy. But Planescape is number 1 (though it's a quest for me o:) ) Fallouts are good, ME has nice film-like dialogs but the main sroty is to epic and little bit full of clishe. I'm lookin forward for Aleins and Alphaprotocol form Obsidians. And Starcraft II actually ;) On Fallout 3 I've spend about 10 hours and deleted it. Totally crap (I am not that hard die fan, but I didn't like Oblivion at all when it came).

Edited by Bad Ash / Good Ash

Which 'they' are you talking about? Interplay?

No. The makers of big game hunter... Of course I'm talking about interplay.

Bethesda have done a great job - there was a time when they were a relatively small studio, but they've managed to stick to making games the way they want and I think their recent success is fantastic. Something I definitely think Obsidian can emulate and probably will just so long as the market doesn't go against them.

I'd say they've been much better business people, and, ironically, with f3 being the success it is it might actually revivificate interplay if they can get mmorp fallout rolling. If such a thing is even being considered anymore, and assuming interplay is a going concern of course. With f3 now a mainstream franchise they can exploit it. yay.

ME is superior to the overrated KOTOR in eveyr single way. It's also just as long. Sure, the side quest planets may look basically the same but they all usually have some sort of neat side quest that involves more than just killing. And, the writing is as good as any previous BIo game (that's good or bad depending on what your opinion is on basic BIO writing).

FO3 is a joke. Sorry, can't take any game seriously when you can kill enemies with teddy bears, and its writing is positively described as 'a little better than Oblivion'.

To get this back to Obsidian. Obsidian is a good comapny that makes fun games I enjoy - unlike Bethesda who are so overrated it's not even funny.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

FO3 is a joke. Sorry, can't take any game seriously when you can kill enemies with teddy bears, and its writing is positively described as 'a little better than Oblivion'.

To get this back to Obsidian. Obsidian is a good comapny that makes fun games I enjoy - unlike Bethesda who are so overrated it's not even funny.

Absolutley agree. No the Taddy Bear thing is not the reason for blaming it. But everyting else - yes :shrugz::bat::down:

This is not a Fallout :ermm:. It has some attributes of the original title but thats all. Attributes developed by Black Isle. Strange that ppl LIKE IT (and Oblivion). Ppl must be really very dum if they don't see the obvios stupidity of the stories that bestheda provide for their games. I say - if you wan't a stupid game just to kill your time, play Diablo. It has it's mouse clickin and arcade beaty and it doesn't declame to be an RPG. I Like Blizzard guys coz they are straight. Oblivion is hack and slash plus it's exploitin 2 giant desires (exactly like diablo) 1st is desire to accumulate 2nd is desire to posses what you have accumaleted, both are applicable to things and skills. Barbie for boys to be fare. Desire to assert yourself in a virtual world this way. That is why it is so popular (and either Diablo). Cos people LIKE TO DO such things. But Diablo is more fun, I can understand it.

Edited by Bad Ash / Good Ash

"This is not a Fallout"

Irrelevant. It's FO3. All that matters is if the game is good. I don't think it is; but I'm naturally bias towards Betehsda games as I simply don't enjoy them. I would probably enjoy a FO3 made by EA as a sports game as EA tends to make fun sports games.

And, people aren't dumb because they like something we do nor are we dumb for disliking something they like.

*shrug*

Volo, I was under the impression you hadn't played the game. I have. Right through. Twice. I will respectfully suggest that until you do I'm going to ignore your judgement on how good the writing is.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Volo, I was under the impression you hadn't played the game. I have. Right through. Twice. I will respectfully suggest that until you do I'm going to ignore your judgement on how good the writing is."

I've watched videos of the game's writings. An, i've read posts wher epeople of shared examples of it. I've also seen people complain generally about it. In fact, even many of the people who *like* the game aren't big fans of the dialogue stating its barely better than Oblivion's writing and they hated Oblivion's writing.

I will trust my research, common sense, and history with p0revious Bethesda products.

"Volo, I was under the impression you hadn't played the game. I have. Right through. Twice. I will respectfully suggest that until you do I'm going to ignore your judgement on how good the writing is."

I've watched videos of the game's writings. An, i've read posts wher epeople of shared examples of it. I've also seen people complain generally about it. In fact, even many of the people who *like* the game aren't big fans of the dialogue stating its barely better than Oblivion's writing and they hated Oblivion's writing.

I will trust my research, common sense, and history with p0revious Bethesda products.

You are ridiculous. It's like a literary critic who skims the book and passes judgement on it. Bravo.

I haven't cringed from any of Fallout 3's dialogue, so that's pretty impressive.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Volo is just a tard. Yeah you done "research". LOLZ!

RPGs are becoming more like FPS's thanks to 3D. Back in the day of 2D games, we had actual story telling and character development. We didn't worry about eye candy back then.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

It sounds like we are past the Obsidian and/or RPG specific details, like a page or two ago. There should be plenty of opportunity to carry on the discussion in the Computer and Console section though ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein