*The* DRM thread

Gorth

Sorry, but violations of copyright must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

You'd think that this is a reasonable stance... but there's no shortage of outrage when various industry groups or companies bring lawsuits against individual violators.

I simply cannot think of any other use for the software than making copies of copyrighted software... which is illegal.

Not if you only make one back-up copy for personal use and do not distribute it. >_<

I should make a backup copy of my car, that thing might break down.

Go right ahead.

And be sure to post how you did it.

I worked on it for a bit, but the stupid car kept getting stuck in my DVD burner. So I just stole one from the dealership.

I simply cannot think of any other use for the software than making copies of copyrighted software... which is illegal.

Not if you only make one back-up copy for personal use and do not distribute it. ;)

Yesterday I scratched my car's rear bumper. It broke down completely. My mechanic says it's beyond repair and has to be totaled. :)

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

Not if you only make one back-up copy for personal use and do not distribute it. ;)

Yesterday I scratched my car's rear bumper. It broke down completely. My mechanic says it's beyond repair and has to be totaled. :lol:

That's what you get for buying a $50 car.

Yesterday I scratched my car's rear bumper. It broke down completely. My mechanic says it's beyond repair and has to be totaled. :)

That's what you get for buying a $50 car.

Sigh... you're right. :(

Now I'm getting worried about my microwave, my DVD player and my clothes. I should have insured them. To top it all, my clothes have stopped fitting me ever since I moved into my third house. I should stay away from those burgers...

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

And this is what happens when you contact EA tech support to request your 4th activation:

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/6800.page

I mean, seriously, the guy paid 50 bucks. Why the **** should he go through this ****?

Resetting your CMOS uses up an activation? I hadn't heard that one before. o:)

Changing any hardware and reformating too?

I didn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

How can you tell if you used an activation.

I was curious on just uninstalling the game and reinstalling it and seeing if that would use one.

If you haven't changed anything on the computer, it shouldn't use another activation.

Even if you change something on the computer, if you don't uninstall it, does it use an authorization?

I believe it will recognize the change and make you use a new authorization, if not then people could simply copy files from PC-to-PC and play the game that way. :ermm:

securom2gu8.png

Even if you change something on the computer, if you don't uninstall it, does it use an authorization?

I believe it will recognize the change and make you use a new authorization, if not then people could simply copy files from PC-to-PC and play the game that way. :ermm:

I don't think I've ever heard of software doing this. I mean, I can add ram, change a video card, ad do quite a few other things and even my OS will not skip a beat. That would be a serious issue, but I'd like to see more documentated cases of this actually happening.

I don't know, as I hadn't bought the game. I do have experience through some members of my family with Sony's music DRM though from some years back (and nobody in my family has ever bought anything tagged with the Sony brand again, without first considering if it could be impacted by Sony's DRM policies). The music simply stopped working after some software changes on the computer. That's right, those were not even hardware changes and not even a full reinstall of the OS.

From that I suspect that if the configuration of your computer changes sufficiently for Securom to decide that it is a new computer, Spore will simply stop working until you reinstall it, thus using another activation. That is just my suspicion - again, I don't really know for certain and don't intend to find out through experience.