Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Morgoth

First reviews are popping up as the embargo has been lifted today.

Evil Avatar (3/5)

"Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not a horrible game, far from it. However as I was playing it I was always feeling like I was just going through the motions and attempting to get to that next diamond in the rough that this game has scattered throughout its 8 hour playtime. This game could have probably used a little more gestation time where they could have fixed up the graphic tearing and the sound skipping that is sometimes heard in the cut-scenes. We are left with a game that has a good story that ties in the time between Episode III and IV, but one that is brought down by camera problems, sameness of enemies and long linear levels. There are a few places where this game is jaw-dropping, but overall with no co-op or multiplayer it is hard to recommend as a purchase. The simple fact is that Star Wars: The Force Unleahsed seems like a game that didn

Yeah, I played the demo too and I wasnt thrilled. Its hard to explain whats wrong, its just that the gameplay isnt that exciting. You just run through hordes of enemies and butcher them without pause.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, I played the demo too and I wasnt thrilled. Its hard to explain whats wrong, its just that the gameplay isnt that exciting. You just run through hordes of enemies and butcher them without pause.

>.> SWEET!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

For anyone who has played the retail game, how is it compared to Jedi Knight 2?

JK2 is still one of the most awesome gameplay experiences I remember. Of course that was after I input codes so that lightsaber combat was more deadly and 'realistic'. As in heads, torsos and limbs flying everywhere I slashed my lightsaber.

I still remember that first encounter with a Reborn in Cloud City. He jumped in front of me and after some clashes with the lightsaber I managed to hit him causing him to be decapitated and fall off the platform screaming. Plus the slow-mo kicked in just as that was happening. I was hooked after that.

I would have save games right before cool battles and just replay them over and over as it never worked out the same way.

I was hoping this would be something similar, but maybe not.

JK2 is still one of the most awesome gameplay experiences I remember.

Well, I would have agreed with you when the game came out, but I've played it fairly recently and there is a reason it is one of the few games I own that have not yet been finished. :rolleyes:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

For anyone who has played the retail game, how is it compared to Jedi Knight 2?

JK2 is still one of the most awesome gameplay experiences I remember. Of course that was after I input codes so that lightsaber combat was more deadly and 'realistic'. As in heads, torsos and limbs flying everywhere I slashed my lightsaber.

I still remember that first encounter with a Reborn in Cloud City. He jumped in front of me and after some clashes with the lightsaber I managed to hit him causing him to be decapitated and fall off the platform screaming. Plus the slow-mo kicked in just as that was happening. I was hooked after that.

I would have save games right before cool battles and just replay them over and over as it never worked out the same way.

I was hoping this would be something similar, but maybe not.

My favorite trick involved the maxed out force pull skill. Jump directly over enemies heads and then force pull them. They get launched about a thousand feet in the air and slowly plummet back. :rolleyes:

After reading some of those reviews I think it might have been better for LucasArts to leave the leash on.

Hee hee. Well, throwing a star destroyer is a bit too much, yes.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The story's awesome!

The apprentice makes out with some female Jedi he's supposed to kill, then betrays Vader in the process. Master vs apprentice, the epic duel ensues!!! I think Vader survives.

That comes from the school of the blatantly obvious. Oh yeah, and they pretty much showed all that in one of their trailers.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I played a bit, it's great fun until they start throwing platforming into the mix. 3d platforming has never really been my forte because usually when try to jump I end up at yhatzees "jagged rock Junction" 9 times out of 10.

Reading the reviews, it sounds like the gameplay is on and off but the story and presentation is pretty good. Maybe I'll get it if it comes out on PC. Still don't have a Ps3 or 360.

Ditto. Maybe Ill get a 360 when they come out with a keyboard and mouse type configuration that works great. Until then, i can do without their games.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

beat it. the final part of the plot i think can jump over a candle stick and go flying out an airlock but eh.

The model they had for leia was TERRIBLE. admittedly she's only like 14 when this happens but still. Also they put a few things in the wrong spot and... now I'm just getting spoilerific.

the combat was fun, if not a little bit of cheapness attached to it. what with guys hitting you in succession just fast enough that you can only stand up to take another hit. I think on max difficulty this would turn into ninja gaiden where the wrong move ONCE can kill you instantly. the platforming elements were terrible and dispite reviewers warnings, i didn't encounter a SINGLE bug through out my ps3 playthrough.

the story was a tad DMCish in that it was explained in short 15 second cutscenes between each level. there were a few longer ones but I've come to expect cutscenes to be much longer or have story points built into the chatter in the game where as here it was just "go here kill x" and in game they told you "oh and this is how you pass the obsticle." through out the entire game the place is peppered with holocrons. I think unless you were obsessive compuslive you wouldn't get a single one until after you've beaten it and played it again.

Ultimatly my guess is I'll keep this around for a few months and then trade it in because it just really isn't worth having for a while unless you really feel the urge to force out. My suggestion to you fellows is rental. week long would be best because then you get to beat it all and chew it over but you could probably do it in a day if you had that much free time. I wonder if yhatzee will review it? it'll make for hilarity.

Reading the reviews, it sounds like the gameplay is on and off but the story and presentation is pretty good. Maybe I'll get it if it comes out on PC. Still don't have a Ps3 or 360.
Yeah, the reviews have been really mixed. On the one hand I want to check it out because I'm a Star Wars fan but I just don't have the money to blow 60 on a game that I'm not really going to enjoy. Uh...At some point, maybe closer to the bargain bin I'll pick this up.