Revan: Male or Female?

Which gender do you think the Revan character made more sense as?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which gender do you think the Revan character made more sense as?

• Male
    • Female
    • Either was believable

Luca$art$ started that idiotic trend of using the same name for both Male and Female characters in both KotOR (Revan) and Jedi Academy (Jaden). I just hope there won't be any more examples of that, as it is completely lame and stupid.

And, Revan definitely sounds Male to me. I just can't picture a woman being the Dark Lord of the Sith and a brilliant strategist, leading first the Republic and then the Sith into battle :ph34r:

I don't think it is so much implied that Revan was a male. I'm sure Bioware was anal about making sure any masculine identifiers would never appear (no he's or him's...only "Revan").

I think any "implication" of Revan being male or female is based entirely on our sociological preconceptions of what type of person would appropriately fit the role that Revan had. If there was a band of uber-powerful Amazon women out there that somehow got a copy of the game that played it, they'd probably assume Revan was a female as males just wouldn't do that sort of stuff.

To me, Revan being female makes more sense, as it explains the whole mask and secrecy thing much better. After all, she had to deal with Mandalorians who appear pretty patriarchal. The name is fine as a female name, too - there are a lot of similar sounding RL female names. Re: physical strength - the power of the Force is a big equalizer. Re: films precedents, I can't care less, as the only central female characters in them are silly royals whose main role is to be love interests.

I have to admit that I did think that Revan was male the first time around... but only due the glitch in Canderous's dialogue. When the revelation came, it made a lot of sense to me and I immediately thought that there had to be a mistake in Canderous's dialogue, as has by now been aknowledged.

Either one, really. I've played as a female, and I've watched my brothers play through as males, and both genders have an equally believable and enjoyable plot line.

Women can be mass murderers, same as men. I see it on America's Most Wanted all the time. :p Men are more prone to this, though. Or so it would seem. Perhaps women are just more discreet.

Revan could be male or female in my book, as I see both genders as equally capable of Revan's past violence and subsequent redemption or slip back into the dark side.

A true Sith respects power, Male or Female, no? Until, of course, they become more powerful than their master, at which point they kill said Master. If Revan was more powerful than Malak, he would assume the role of apprentice, bide his time, then take her out. (I'm assuming a female Revan here to answer the question, don't start having fits.)

Not to mention that the Council did say that Malakk took the role of Apprentice grudgingly. The Council also said they were close friends. I know I wouldn't mind serving under my friend if they were more apt in the Force than myself, regardless of gender.

Everyone knows Revan is OBVIOUSLY male. If Reven were female, she'd be in the kitchen instead of on the helm of a battlecruiser.

But all seriousness aside, what's the big deal differentiating between a female Revan and a male Revan? I'd gladly take a female Revan anytime just to lessen the impact of Bastila's role. I hate that whiny she-dog.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

:p Revan in the kitchen....

I don't mind which gender Revan is, as I said. I think either one is believable in its own right. As for Bastila, yeah. I found her annoying myself, but I'm not about to get into that here. This place seems to be male-dominated, and the men tend to like Bastila. And I value my peace, so I'm not saying anything.

Either, the story was designed so there could be a male or female revan. Though the male version would work better for a screenplay IE the bastila romance, things get alot thicker in plot and drama. Either makes perfect sense within the confines of the game however. I don't see any point to polls like these...

I'm sure Bioware was anal about making sure any masculine identifiers would never appear (no he's or him's...only "Revan").

Actually, another reason I was so certain Revan was male was because Canderous openly calls Revan 'he.' They edited the text to remove all masculine identifiers, but the voice-over still quite clearly refers to Revan as 'he' several times in a row.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I beg to differ. REAL men appreciate the furry fury that is Juhani.

Heh. When I first saw her, I thought she was a human who was suffering from the extreme effects of the Dark Side (pale skin, distorted features, etc.) My first thought was 'God DAMN the Dark Side makes you ugly!'

P.S. The whole cross-species relationship thing kinda freaks me out, too. Is that even legal in the Star Wars Galaxy?

P.S. The whole cross-species relationship thing kinda freaks me out, too. Is that even legal in the Star Wars Galaxy?

I'd wondered about that myself. I've never seen a cross-species relationship in the movies, and in the 50 odd EU books I've read I've never encountered it really either. I don't know if it's illegal, or if people just refrain from it.

Biologically speaking, the DNA composition would be too different for any such pairing to produce viable offspring anyway, so...*shrugs* Perhaps that's why most don't. Maybe it's some form of taboo.

I'd wondered about that myself. I've never seen a cross-species relationship in the movies, and in the 50 odd EU books I've read I've never encountered it really either. I don't know if it's illegal, or if people just refrain from it.

If she's over 18, IT'S LEGAL BABY.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

If she's over 18, IT'S LEGAL BABY.

I try to be open-minded, but I don't know if I would be able to hold my lunch at a Human-Wookie relationship.

I think such relationships are probaly legal within the star wars universe. Though I don't think Juhani would appreciate a guy back. But lets not get into that argument again. hmmmmm, what would a twilek human crossbreed look like if thats even possible

anyways I stand by my previous opinion, within the game, either is fine and fitting to the storyline

Okay, so Juhani may be off limits to male characters... She has to have a sister, right? A twin sister perhaps? Meowwwwwwww... I see possiblities here... Someone, fetch me the catnip!

On another note:

As far as my not-very-Star Warsy brain can think of, all master-padawan pairings have been the same gender. Juhani/Quatra is the only grouping of girls I can think of... Any male/female master/apprentice groups?

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Okay, so Juhani may be off limits to male characters...  She has to have a sister, right?  A twin sister perhaps?  Meowwwwwwww...  I see possiblities here...  Someone, fetch me the catnip!

On another note:

As far as my not-very-Star Warsy brain can think of, all master-padawan pairings have been the same gender.  Juhani/Quatra is the only grouping of girls I can think of...  Any male/female master/apprentice groups?

Count Dooku & Komari Vosa (until he left and she disappeared)

On another note:

As far as my not-very-Star Warsy brain can think of, all master-padawan pairings have been the same gender.  Juhani/Quatra is the only grouping of girls I can think of...  Any male/female master/apprentice groups?

Wasn't Mace Windu the master of Depa Billaba?

Typically, they seem to stick to a male/male or female/female master/apprentice structure, but there are a couple of exceptions.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)