Books

Gorth

well... amazon will give you three omnibusses (Ultramarines, Blood Angels, and Soul Drinkers) for 30 bucks plus free shipping (I think on the shipping).

THen you can give away the other two books to people who you want to seduce into the Warhammer cult!

Hehe... nice idea. Unfortunately, the free shipping, supersaver and what else they have is void the moment you select a different country :)

I try to "bundle" my amazon shopping. I've never bought a book there before though, only movie DVD's. Maybe different terms apply when buying books. I'll check it out.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm curious, in everyone opinion what is the best Sci-Fi book (or series) ever?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's probably Neuromancer.

or something from Henlin given he's got the friggin award named after him.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't think there is an aswer to this question. Living in today's world most of the "old" SF stories' nuances are hard to grasp for me (I never experienced a revolution, cold war fears, world war, military dictatorship or the hope of stars (Apollo and its predecesors as my country was a pro-west country once) first hand.) Thats why the young adut books of Heinlein or Foundation series of Asimov or first book of Dune havent branded my brain too deeply.

Then there is the age and romance factor. In some periods of your life you might eat up the Pern and Earthsea and similar (in its tone as far as my limited imagination is able to express it) stories. Then you might hunt for Honorverse, Vorkosigan Saga, Startrek, Starwars, Stargate etc.

My answers would be from a newer generation of books. but I can't tell you "This is the best ever"

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gaunt's Ghosts books by Dan Abnett. Future warfighting with space battles, trench fighting, demons, politics. With some genuinely clever nuggets of observation thrown in. Grimly uplifting.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The new Wheel of Time book comes out in the US on 10/27. Whaddya know?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

speaking of Wheel of Time, i noticed something i'd never picked up on when skimming through the read through Purkake posted

Thom kills King Galldrian and sparks off the whole Carhien civil war

:)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Now reading A False Spring by Pat Jordan. Great book! I actually read it some years ago but it's well worth another trip through. Also re-reading The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen. I have absolutely no doubt that Obama would love to have this book banned.

Thomas Sowell

Now reading Haunted Baseball. It's an entertaining little book about curses, eerie coincidences and just plain unexplainable happenings around the majors and minors of the years. It's a fun read.

Thomas Sowell

Just finished Gilgamesh. I was quite surprised at how short it is, and how unsatisfying it seems as a narrative. Now I'm trying to finish Gatsby, which seems just as interminably dull as the last time...

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I just finished reading Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks and it was pointless, boring, and unmotivating.

I am not inclined to read any more of his works.

Consider Phlebas is one of the worst. I reckon you'd enjoy Against a Dark Background, or Use of Weapons.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm in the middle of reading the first Mistborn book as something a bit lighter in between Donaldson's Gap Cycle books which are often unremittingly bleak and grim. So it's hard for me to take in too much of them at a time. Awesome books though. It's fascinating to see how the "quicksand of plots and counter-plots", as one character puts it, unfolds.

Mistborn is okay. The magic system is interesting and the world is... intriguing if slightly generic. Some of the dialogue and prose is heavy-handed though and just serves to draw me out of the experience. I'm still reading though which I guess counts for something.

Your side! My side! Your side! My side!

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading The Big Red Machine by Joe Posnanski about the 1975 Cincinnati Reds.

Also reading Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government by Glenn Beck

Thomas Sowell

Someone recommended writer Alice Munro to me, because I like short story writers these days. I'm going through her Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage first.

She's a fiction writer (not my usual sci-fi/horror/fantasy mixes) and it's well written w/interesting twists, but so far her stories are kind of melancholy in tone. It's like reading a very prosaic, artful story about how life sucks but sometimes it doesn't. Or something. Anyone read any of her other books? I wonder if all her collections are like this.

Now reading The Big Red Machine by Joe Posnanski about the 1975 Cincinnati Reds.

I love his blog. Although mostly for his non-sports articles...like the ones where he lampoons late night infomercials. :)

The Creepy King!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm in the middle of reading the first Mistborn book as something a bit lighter in between Donaldson's Gap Cycle books which are often unremittingly bleak and grim. So it's hard for me to take in too much of them at a time. Awesome books though. It's fascinating to see how the "quicksand of plots and counter-plots", as one character puts it, unfolds.

Mistborn is okay. The magic system is interesting and the world is... intriguing if slightly generic. Some of the dialogue and prose is heavy-handed though and just serves to draw me out of the experience. I'm still reading though which I guess counts for something.

It's a good book in a good trilogy, but when you come to the end you'll realize the second book is 80% superfluous.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Also re-reading The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen. I have absolutely no doubt that Obama would love to have this book banned.

Why do you say that?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.