Gamespot E3 First Look Preview

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alphap...tml?sid=6194184

Our demo began with Michael Thorton, the former spy protagonist who's been cast out of the CIA, overlooking the United States embassy in Moscow. With the story still mostly under wraps, we didn't get much information on what brought Thorton to this location, or what his ultimate goal is once inside, but we were given a look at some of the gameplay basics involved in getting there. It begins with the guard at the front door. You can stroll up to him and try to smooth talk your way in using the game's "Dialogue Stance" system, which is essentially a way of choosing basic emotions over pre-set lines of dialogue, but a few other options exist. If you're the sneaky type, you can try to make it around to the back entrance using stealth, and if you're the straightforward type, you can simple shoot the guard where he stands. That last option carries a penalty, however, because one of the many factions you have to do business with over the course of the game is the Marines, so when they get wind of you killing their own, they're les [sic] inclined to cooperating with you later on...

Finally, Obsidian finished off by giving us a look at some of the ways your decisions in the game carry consequences that affect you throughout the rest of the story. This time, Thorton was sent to a level in the Middle East to find a weapons dealer named Nasri. When you get to him, you're given the option to let him go, turn him in, or just kill him. If you let him go, you'll lose reputation with the agency that sent you on the mission, if you let him go [sic], you can buy weapons from him whenever you like, and if you kill him, you'll unlock a perk called "Any Last Words." We couldn't pry an explanation out of Obsidian about this perk, but they did tell us it affects your dialogue abilities. Of course, that can't help us from wondering if it might be a technique to help you intimidate people. They know you've killed in the past, so they'll be more willing to dish out information to you--that type of upgrade.

Edited by funcroc

Sounds great!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wow, that sounds ****ing awesome

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Combat system sounds awesome btw

( yes, even with infinite ammo :) )

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

RPS-ish At-ish E3: Day 3, Part 1: Sega

considering that Alpha Protocol has been built using the Mass Effect engine

Really? My understanding was that Bioware wasn't going to distribute their version of UE3 until after ME's development had finished, and AP's version of UE3 was an in-house creation.

Edited by Pop

The reporter may just be talking out of his ass, but I always suspected AP is using whatever tools were created for ME, the characters and some of the screens just look too similar, and apparently you have to provide a lot of extra code for UE3 before you can actually build a game on it.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

...the main character, Mike Thornton (where do they get these names?)...

Well, considering his name is Mike (or Michael) Thorton, YOU came up with that name yourself, stupid, lazy journalist.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...the main character, Mike Thornton (where do they get these names?)...

Well, considering his name is Mike (or Michael) Thorton, YOU came up with that name yourself, stupid, lazy journalist.

OE has to learn to make more memorable names. Nobody got Shepard's name wrong.

In other news, I think I'll need examples on the dialogue stance... It seems a bit unclear.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

^ Hell has frozen over!

Of course it is still big, glaring flaw that may have potential to give fatal blow to whole thing... :lol:

The reporter may just be talking out of his ass, but I always suspected AP is using whatever tools were created for ME, the characters and some of the screens just look too similar, and apparently you have to provide a lot of extra code for UE3 before you can actually build a game on it.

It looks game using same engine *shrug*