BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE FALLOUT 3 TRAILER

Llyranor

Well, if you can hit a raider in the eye with the hard plastic nose of a teddy bear, maybe some limbs will fly off?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

921-i_love_you_teddy_bear.jpg

Because teddy bears are always on-topic. :grin:

kyoot!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I hope Bethesda doesn't screw this up. But the only footage I'm seeing is walking around and shooting. I want to see more of the dialogue and the characters!But I'm probably not going to get this game even though I already know most of the "professional"reviewers will give this a 9.5. It just seems like Oblivion with guns and I don't even know if Oblivion should've been classified as a RPG.

"Nothing's perfect. This world is not perfect, but it's there for us trying the best it can. That's what makes it so beautiful."

I'm not sure where you can make the argument that Oblivion isn't an RPG. It may not be the style of RPG you like, but it's a pretty pure role playing experience. You are open to play the game in any fashion you choose. You can be good, bad, neutral. There's hardly anyone you can't kill. It can be a completely non-linear experience, which is not the case in most RPG's. You don't even need to choose a specific class, you can create whatever you want. Heck, you could spend the whole game wandering around drinking skouma.

Granted, none of those things necessarily make it a good game, but it definitely lets you play a role of your own choosing.

I'm not sure where you can make the argument that Oblivion isn't an RPG.

I tend to agree, although I understand where arguments to the contrary come from.

You create a character, choose skills and attributes, level your pc, choose a pretty open path through the game, there's dialogues, quests. From my point of view that makes it pretty hard to call it anything but a crpg.

But is it a well-designed crpg? hrm. Lemme think.

No.

Are you allowed to "role play" NOT closing the gates?

You can choose not to close them, or, if you really want to, you can mod the game to either leave them open but disable, or change, the main quest. You can also choose to not have them open at all either by modding or by not taking the amulet to the Captain of the Blades. :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

So (a) you can mod the game, which is never really an excuse, or (b) ignore the fact that there is a ubermassive red gate, because the evil peoples will wait for you forever!

Actually, after learning how absolutely, amazingly, completely crap the gates were, I tried to roleplay a mercenary / trader guy, which *is* pretty fun. Oblivion's a better game if you ignore the main quest, mostly.

Oh snap, I forgot about that step. Fair enough. :sorcerer:

Anyway, some Taiwanese shakycam bad angle screenies from NMA

Now that's what I'm talking about, instead of the 'official' footage that has 50 variations of gore and explosions.

The Good:

- Loading screens are nice.

- Dialogue is pretty good, disregarding the typical "bye" options and such

- Game shows a lot more personality and looks a lot more interesting than it did with Todd's E3 plays.

The Bad:

- Gonna get some serious Oblivion deja vus in your face every 5 seconds, everywhere.

- I know this was the case in the originals, but could they stop having that passport photo angle for conversations? It makes everyone look bad.

- The transparent blue UI? Ugly and eyehurting. Probably/possibly just me

That guy in the screenshots in Hummelgumpfs post... First time I saw it I immediately thought of Sheogorath from Shivering Isles for some reason. Not a happy thought.

It's really discomforting that I can just imagine these heads turning awkwardly towards me ala Oblivion, and saying their little piece of greetings when you go near them. Like Tigranes said, I really believe we'll be getting Oblivion deja vu for a large part of the game. Oblivion did beautiful environments well, but everything regarding characters looked incredibly stiff.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

What's wrong with that? It's nothing good but not bad, either. From the looks of it he's supposed to sound an old Brit. Granted, I haven't played Shivering Isles.

Are you allowed to "role play" NOT closing the gates?

Whole "RPG must have choices and consequences or it isn't RPG lol" is nothing but ideology spawned by Vault Dweller and his, erm, "followers". It is ideology which I agree with in sense that proper roleplaying game must feature C&C.

HOWEVER IT IS NOT THE DEFINING FACTOR.

Oblivion is RPG. Bad one, but RPG nonetheless

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

What's wrong with that?

Just about everything. A wacky Englishman who gets amused by a nuclear explosion and is likely to cackle a lot? In a Fallout game? So much for the promised moral ambiguity.

20795.jpg

It's quite eerie how Olivion seems to have mentally scarred everyone who didn't like it so that they see it in places where it actually isn't

The Good:

- Loading screens are nice. Probably/possibly just me

- Dialogue is pretty good, disregarding the typical "bye" options and such Probably/possibly just me

- Game shows a lot more personality and looks a lot more interesting than it did with Todd's E3 plays. Probably/possibly just me

The Bad:

- Gonna get some serious Oblivion deja vus in your face every 5 seconds, everywhere. Probably/possibly just me

- I know this was the case in the originals, but could they stop having that passport photo angle for conversations? It makes everyone look bad. Probably/possibly just me

- The transparent blue UI? Ugly and eyehurting. Probably/possibly just me

Everything is after all just an opinion. :thumbsup:

I do agree about the whole passport photo angle thingy as that is quite awful when they wear hats or anything but just their face.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Ohhh...Those screenshots are much worse than I had feared, the game is "Oblivion with Guns." :thumbsup:

EDIT: Witch would be fine if it were not calling itself "Fallout 3." :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot