GTA IV gets a perfect 10 at IGN

Meshugger

This thread is getting ugly. You have one group that sees the glass as half full and another that sees it as half empty. I don't think any arguing will get people to change that perspective.

I see Dihydrogen Oxide poisoning in either case.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So, let's sum this up so a misunderstanding cannot be blamed on the derailment anymore. Not saying they CAN'T give GTAIV a 10,. Just that I disagree with some of the rationale behind it. Surely I am welcome to my opinion?

Part underlined for emphasis: This was exactly what some people were saying at the start of the thread, though. Having an opinion on the rationale behind a certain scoring system is one thing, attacking a reviewer's score because it doesn't tie in with your (general you, not you personally) rationale is entirely another.

Let me ask you this, though: Are you honestly, honestly telling me that you are so incensed by reviewers using a 10-point scale (where 10 is 'only' the top score, not the 'perfect' one) that you have to actually "object" to it? Also, can you show me 1 example of a reviewing site (for anything, not just games; music, books, movies, travel destinations, etc.) that doesn't use this scale? Do you object to those as well?

How do you think a scale more to your liking would be any better to the system in place now?

There are a LOT of things wrong with the (games) reviewing system nowadays. Too much publisher interference (Kane & Lynch, anyone?), general lack of journalistic writing skills, etc. Giving games a 10/10 isn't one of them, though.

What's the point of repeating yourself?

Clearly none. No matter how often this is repeated to people here by myself and/or others, they insist on attacking reviewers over giving games 10/10 ratings, spouting 'no game is perfect' as a reason, moreover.

That's precisely the problem. When you are used to others doing your thinking for you, simple stuff like understanding basic sentences becomes an uphill battle...

Your personal insults are tedious and boring, and add absolutely nothing to this discussion.

Whatever though, you go man. Fight the good fight.

As the only one actually having tested the game, I shall make a short personal review. On the Kaftan scale, GTA4 gets the following score

Story: Very good

Gameplay: Very good

Graphics : Adequate

Sound : Adequate

the scale goes form left to right: bad - adequate - good - very good - outstanding

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Cool. Since you chose to disregard nine out of ten parts of what I said, and went for an attention deflect, I'm not even going to bother addressing your points. I do find this mildly amusing, though:

Your personal insults are tedious and boring, and add absolutely nothing to this discussion.

Whatever though, you go man. Fight the good fight.

Yeah. Because you were not trolling when you posted this:

Seriously, what is wrong with half the people in this thread!?!

It really isn't a particularly difficult concept to grasp.

[...]

You CANNOT then just come along and apply your own interpretation of what you think a 10/10 should mean to their scores; your interpretation is simply irrelevant. Well, I guess you can, since half of you have been doing so for the last 6 (!) pages, but it just makes you look like an ass. Considering that Hurlshot, Spider et al. have drawn your attention to this already (on page 1, no less!) makes it doubly so.

[...]

I honestly believed that humans have the capacity to learn, but you guys make a good case for why they might not. Mega-fail. ;)

Get over yourself already.

Okay you two, don't make me bring out the super sledge.

Grrr...

And Kaftan, I am so jealous.

Grrr...

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Cool. Since you chose to disregard nine out of ten parts of what I said, and went for an attention deflect, I'm not even going to bother addressing your points. I do find this mildly amusing, though:

Rubbish. You just don't have any answers to my questions. I've answered your questions plenty enough.

I give this thread a March.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

There's no such thing as a March.

You just killed St. Patrick's Day, A-hole! ;)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

As in it looks like it was made 10 years ago or as in the graphics are technologically good but they didn't do anything with it?

I wouldn't consider 1998 graphics adequate by any stretch of the imagination. The gfx are probably good, but no Crysis.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't really object to a game getting a '10'. What my problem is they should give a few more '10s' here and there for different genres at it shows an obvious bias for a specific style of game.

For instance, I don't think I've ever seen IGN give a FPS, RPG or Strategy game a 10, and yet for many people they would prefer to play that style of game any day over a GTA type game and there has CERTAINLY been a few games in those categories I mentioned that would basically be 'perfect' in their genre, just as GTA IV is apparently 'perfect' in the eyes of IGN for the genre GTA fits in.

And Kaftan, I am so jealous.

Grrr...

It could be worse, yuou COULD be living in Australia where the game wont be released for atleast another 35 years :ermm:

As in it looks like it was made 10 years ago or as in the graphics are technologically good but they didn't do anything with it?

Rockstar have never been on the frontier when it comes to game graphics, and GTA4 follows that same line. Its several years behind the cutting edge, but theres nothing that bothers you as a player. It works, and thats all there is too it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

They've at least got fingers in this one right?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Rubbish. You just don't have any answers to my questions. I've answered your questions plenty enough.

More like you don't have anything constructive worth saying.

I think we all know what side we're on.

Your legs are numbers June and November on my list of things to break.

Your commie calendar is rated 10/10 too. It's not perfect, but it does what it's supposed to do better than all the other commie calendars. It should actually be 10/11, but who's counting?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The way I see it, if you aren't going to use your legs, why have them?

For everyone who's jealous of Kaftan paying GTA4 early: it's been out on torrent sites for a week or so. All you have to do is to stoop to Kaftan's level and get it yourself and you have no more need to be jealous.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!