Exercise

Walsingham

So I thought I'd ask the exercise guru's - what's the best way to exercise the hands/finger joints?

I gently squeeze rubber balls ... is there anything better?

must.... behave.... :thumbsup:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Good hand/finger strength develops through having a strong grip. If you do things like deadlift/bent over rows/pullups/etc with heavy weight you'll be crushing small animals in the palm of your hand in no time. I've noticed an insane change in my hands since I've started working out. They are so powerful and awesome and could snatch the gizzard right out of a grown man.

But I haven't been working out at all in the last month or so, just a few scattered days here and there. :'(

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Um... some martial arts help, but generally you don't do the hand movements by themselves.

But could you do so, anyway?

I want to strengthen the tendons/muscles around the finger/hand joints, in the hopes it'll help increase mobility/strength and lessen the frequency of flare-ups. There are arthritis sites that list some basic hand exercise stuff, but most of them seemed designed for people with already severe problems or very weak hands...ie, they're too gentle to be much use to me. Edit: I don't, btw, actually have arthritis - at least it hasn't been diagnosed as such, yet.

I'm also partially double-jointed, which makes some of the 'normal' finger exercises actually worse for my joints, because my fingers are not naturally 'straight' when held up flat/outspread, and joints tend to pop/lock a lot as a result. I don't know if that makes any sense...

If you do things like deadlift/bent over rows/pullups/etc with heavy weight you'll be crushing small animals in the palm of your hand in no time.

I'm afraid that's likely not possible for me at this time. I have a hard time opening glass jars or even pushing in doorknob buttons on many days, let alone lifting heavy weights. :thumbsup:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The best way to work out any part of the body and avoid any stress injuries is to do so in the water. I imagine there are plenty of water exercises that you can do to strengthen your hands.

I had a friend who was a climber. He had these dinky hand strengtheners. the important difference between these and those 'squeaky hinge' types was that this one had a separate spring for each finger. Might be too hard though.

I do sympathise, because although my pain is very very minor I have problems with the knuckles in my right hand from muay thai. *tries to look tough and fails*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Go to a gym and pick up some light barbells. Position your underarms on a bench with your hands hanging out on one side (like, kneeling in front of the bench with your arms rested on top of the bench and hands hanging out on the other side). Gently roll the weights from the palm of your hands to your fingertips and then roll them back up again. Repeat ad nauseum.

Then twist your arms so your palms face downwards and do the same rolling motion again. Repeat until you puke.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I had a friend who was a climber. He had these dinky hand strengtheners. the important difference between these and those 'squeaky hinge' types was that this one had a separate spring for each finger. Might be too hard though.

I do sympathise, because although my pain is very very minor I have problems with the knuckles in my right hand from muay thai. *tries to look tough and fails*

You're a hero in my book walsh. Muay thai is second best martial arts out there, jiu jitsu being first because I mean most real fights kind of go to the ground and you'll get your arm ripped off. Plus muay thai doesn't discriminate against height. :)

But yeah, sorry to hear lady. You should try lifting cats in your spare time to get a good foundation. :thumbsup:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

You're a hero in my book walsh. Muay thai is second best martial arts out there, jiu jitsu being first because I mean most real fights kind of go to the ground and you'll get your arm ripped off. Plus muay thai doesn't discriminate against height. :)

But yeah, sorry to hear lady. You should try lifting cats in your spare time to get a good foundation. :thumbsup:

What about krav maga?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You're a hero in my book walsh. Muay thai is second best martial arts out there, jiu jitsu being first because I mean most real fights kind of go to the ground and you'll get your arm ripped off. Plus muay thai doesn't discriminate against height. :lol:

What about krav maga?

I kind of wouldn't really consider krav maga/kempo/etc a martial arts. While they are insanely useful and in most terms better than all the martial arts they are centered around straight brutality and maining/killing your opponent in "realistic" situations. But hey I've done two sessions of jiu jitsu and watch ufc and other fight shows regularly so I'm not that great of a barometer of martial arts knowledge.

I don't know about muay thai not discriminating against height. The Thais don't, but that's another story. In the boxing itself kicks land anywhere you like, particularly ribs, and to tire out your opponent's arms. But if you're shorter then getting kicks to the neck (believe it or not this is what you are supposed to do) is very hard.

I don't know what the orthodoxy is but my teacher was very strict on the fact that muay thai is not a martial art. It is a sport. You don't advance by learning moves. You advance by bashing people. Not how I choose to enjoy my free time any more, but good at the time.

LC, I just remembered that if you're looking to build up hand and forearm strength then making chainmail is very efffective, and of course afterwards you have chainmail. I learned how from a friend and we used to do our 'man knitting' in front of the TV.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

While they are insanely useful and in most terms better than all the martial arts they are centered around straight brutality and maining/killing your opponent in "realistic" situations.

Interestingly, my favorite martial arts classes so far was a series where all we did was basically real-life practice. Items were about that could be used, you were supposed to wear your regular clothes, and you could mix/break disciplines if you needed to. Fun times - even if there were a few close calls in regards to bone breakage. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Back on topic, really, I'd never CHOOSE to be in a brawl any more. I've come too close to being stabbed in the past. If it's just me then I'll simply run away. I have no pride whatever when it comes to survival. Which is not to say I don't back up my friends if they are daft enough to get into things. It's just that a high speed sprint for five minutes will typically weed out all but the most determined pursuer. Anyone that determined is then usefully identified as such, and you can do other things. For example, it's only a twenty minute run to the police station from anywhere in town!

Anyone still chasing you after twenty minutes probably deserves to catch you.

-Elwood Blues

LC, I just remembered that if you're looking to build up hand and forearm strength then making chainmail is very efffective, and of course afterwards you have chainmail.
But yeah, sorry to hear lady. You should try lifting cats in your spare time to get a good foundation. sorcerer.gif

You guys crack me up. :thumbsup:

I guess beyond gentle finger flexing, the rubber balls seem the best thing - I'll look for some of those "dinky hand strengtheners" that work each finger - couldn't hurt to try one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Haven't read through all these threads, but has anyone tried Simplefit.org? I've recently started them (although my move has left me without a chin-up bar) and they seem to be good exercises when you don't have a full gym available to you, as they work with simple reps of pullups/pushups/squats. They don't do much for cardio, though, so I guess I need to find a way to replace that. I used to hit the exercise bikes at the gym nearby, but again, I just moved and don't have those available. Maybe lengthy jumping-jack sessions? I'm not a big fan of joggin/running, so that's out.

Matthew Rorie

They don't do much for cardio, though, so I guess I need to find a way to replace that.

Buy roller blades. Stalk hot roller blade women near the beach. Cardio comes as an extra.

Or you could buy a bike.. Not only does it make you able to explore your surroundings, it is GREAT for cardio.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Haven't read through all these threads, but has anyone tried Simplefit.org? I've recently started them (although my move has left me without a chin-up bar) and they seem to be good exercises when you don't have a full gym available to you, as they work with simple reps of pullups/pushups/squats. They don't do much for cardio, though, so I guess I need to find a way to replace that. I used to hit the exercise bikes at the gym nearby, but again, I just moved and don't have those available. Maybe lengthy jumping-jack sessions? I'm not a big fan of joggin/running, so that's out.

You could do an aerobic set up. I used to do sets of push ups/air squats/sit ups - 50/40/30/20/10. One right after another until I was done. Trust me, you're heart should be pounding, plus if you keep at it the squats will give you good lung power.

LC, I just remembered that if you're looking to build up hand and forearm strength then making chainmail is very efffective, and of course afterwards you have chainmail. I learned how from a friend and we used to do our 'man knitting' in front of the TV.

You just inspired me to spend my free time making maille. By the looks of a google search, it's doable, but time-consuming and rewarding. Sounds fun... I've always wanted a chain mail shirt.

I'll use titanium and have super-strong, light-weight armour.

Maybe lengthy jumping-jack sessions? I'm not a big fan of joggin/running, so that's out.

Is that American for 'skipping ropes'? Does anybody know how good skipping ropes are for cardio? I heard they're good, and they're rather fun I admit, but what about the knees? Do they cause more or less damage than running, would you say? All that jumping.

Skipping rope is one of the best cardio activities out there. I think I recall like 10 minutes of jump roping is the equivalent of running a mile in 8 minutes. As for the knees I don't know, just make sure you are jumping on a soft area. Something like concrete isn't a great idea.

Skipping rope is brilliant for getting your heart rate really high for intensive workouts. As are any kind of circuits. The important thing though in circuits is to work diffferent muscle groups. Don't back to back things like squat thrusts and situps or press-ups. Sling in some leg raises or skipping.

I shoudl also own up to the fact that I have done no exercise at all for a week. I am feeling bloated but very relaxed.

-Elwood Blues

Gromnir doesn't run. Gromnir cannot run. we got this weird shin splint issue... can run sprints all day long, but as soon as we get distances beyond an 880... ouchie. sure, we could run stadium stair sprints, but that is just nuts.

typically we go to gym and ride the recumbent bikes for our cardio, but we also got a bike at home. now keeps in mind that Gromnir is inexplicably frugal 'bout some stuff. sure, we spends hundreds o' dollars on a video card or a new dutch oven, but when we were looking at a recumbent bike for home we were unwilling to spend more than $400. anyways, as hard as it is to believe, schwinn makes a cheapy recumbent bike that is excellent. probably use it 4 times a week (still occasionally do our cardio at the gym... but by time we is done with weights, we often not feel like doing an additional hour o' cardio) and has been doing so for past couple years. no problems and worry free. is heavy nuff that we not wanna move it much, but it gots some quasi wheels so in summer we move to garage, and winter we move to kitchen.

1 complaint: the electronic display is mostly plastic and is at a strange angle... unless you is 6'8" tall. feels tacked on and cheap, but it works just fine.

is the schwinn 213 model we got. perhaps there is a newer/nicer model, but we likes what we got. am not sure what they go for now, but we spent $400 and got free shipping. given our schedule, and fact that we likes to do cardio early morning or late at night, an in-home bike makes much sense.

just a thought.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sorry to hear about your shin splints. Nasty stuff. Not sure why it's called splints, tho. Something I'm told I can look forward to. It's apparently a real issue when you are drilling. Stamping up and down hurts your shins.

-Elwood Blues

im considering getting a stationary bike or a recumbent bike. I'm not sure which one to get. Tell me what you think gromnir or anyone else. :ermm:

Edited by theslug

im considering getting a stationary bike or a recumbent bike. I'm not sure which one to get. Tell me what you think gromnir. :)

Recumbent bikes are good for two reasons (I've used one extensively, but not any more):

1. They are easy on your spine.

2. They let you watch TV without joggling around.

-Elwood Blues

Sorry to hear about your shin splints. Nasty stuff. Not sure why it's called splints, tho. Something I'm told I can look forward to. It's apparently a real issue when you are drilling. Stamping up and down hurts your shins.

for most people it ain't a problem. wear correct shoes, or learn to shorten stride... or lose weight.

our track and football coaches came up with some pretty imaginative tortures to keeps us occupied while the rest o' the team were running distances. no biggie though, 'cause Gromnir ain't a fan o' distance anything. bike or swim distance always felt like slow death to us, so am not thinking that we woulda' enjoyed distance runs neither, even if we could do. sadly, cardio gets more important as we get older, so ride the bike it shall be.

and yeah, recumbent is better for your back... but much like swimming, you actually has to work harder to get same pay-off. 'cause you is largely horizontal, your heart has to work less hard.

don't know 'bout the tv thing... were pretty easy to watch tv with stair climber or up-right bike at gyms.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

reading

Gromnir can't read on other exercise equipment. on a stair climber we we is going up and down too much. on a bike we would need a splash guard for our book given how much we sweat. recumbent bike is better for back, and we can read... mostly work stuff.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)