Food Thread!

Enoch

I think we need a new food thread around here. Consider it an amalgamation of the old "currently eating" and "recipes" threads. Discussions of diets, restaurants, and general food and cooking topics would also be appropriate.

So, I'm currently eating a rather typical lunch-- a soup & salad from my building's cafeteria. The soup is a chicken-with-rice (and seems to be well-seasoned with black pepper), and the salad contains various lettuces, carrot, peas, cucumber, broccoli, boiled egg, kidney beans, a bit of canned tuna, and basalmic dressing.

I'm also planning on doing some light cooking when I get home. I've got some boneless chicken breasts thawing in the fridge, and I'm going to tenderize them (meat mallets R fun!) dredge them through some seasoned cornmeal, cook them in a skillet with a bit of olive oil, and squeeze a lemon over the top when they're about done. Probably pair that with some steamed broccoli. A relatively simple but tasty weeknight dinner.

Portugal is one of the best places to go out to eat in the world. Quite cheap, and quite good eating too.

Seeing as I'm now working from 5 to 10 PM, I haven't really cooked of late. That last thing I actually cooked was scrambled eggs with onions, and cheese, seasoned with oregano, salt and black and white pepper.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I've decided that I'm never making eggs ever again unless its in a "basket." Damn eggs I hate them now.

I have some cubed chicken marinating in some rice vinegar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, tons of minced garlic, spicy garlic sauce and garlic powder. Then I'm going to throw those bad boys in a very hot skillet. Then do some red pepper, broccoli, and onion. Put them all together on top of some brown rice with some green onion sprinkled on top and bam got some good ol stir fry. Anyone who uses the bastardized bag-o-stir fry veggies please just rest your head on the third rail as a sub way train finishes the job if your somehow resistant to extreme levels of high voltage electricity.

Then over the weekend I'm having some delicious orange chicken from trader joes. Now trust me on this one, this stuff is like ambrosia. Sweet sweet deliciousness straight from the gods teet in the form of orange chicken sauce over delicious golden chicken in the oven and its super delicious and tangy and sweet and I can't wait until I live on my own I'm seriously going to stack 5 of those babies a week.

I also have salmon in the fridge. going to make that for the weekend as well with a wonderful lemon and butter sauce.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I became intoxicated with the exuberance of my own verbosity yesterday and dragged my assistant out of home by cab to attend on some projects I'd make a breakthrough with. We charged around like a pair of freaks for several hours, gathering information, surprising people with meetings, buying pencils etc. To compensate for the inconvenience to him I bought a lot of very good food and beer along the way, ending in the evening very much the worse for wear, and stuffed with a huge quantity of too hot curry. The curry was a vast mistake, being both expensive and not very good.

By contrast I had some excellent Spanish food at lunch, consisting of spiced cubed pork, chunks of potato, olives, and chillis all fried up 'in a bucket'. Hugely filling and delicious. I intend to make it at home soon.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect
This evening I put some eggs in the frying pan together with some traditional Swedish jul/helgskinka. Then it was mixed it up and placed between some white bread. Simply awesome. :brows:

**** that looks yum. You don't deserve to eat that, jackass. :lol:

I really like that Norwegian dried lamb. Delicious.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

TJ's orange chicken is delicious, I am in full agreement there.

My husband and I love to cook and we hardly ever eat the same thing twice. My new favorite site is Epicurious.com, which has tons of fabulous recipes. You can search by ingredient, which is very cool. We've made several recipes from that site. My favorites were Cr

Edited by SweetiePea

For Knights of the Old Republic I fanfic goodness, please visit Sweetie's Works of Fiction

There's this Korean restaurant nearby that has some great Korean food. Now, I don't know if I'd like it so much if there were more choices, but choices are slim for Korean food. And it's not just a case of serving bulgogi and then calling it quits. There was a decent variety on the menu and seven assorted sides, from varieties of kimchi to a sort of apple potato salad. My first time there I had the baby octopus over rice and covered by an egg in a blistering hot stone bowl. I think this is one of the reasons that Korean fare hasn't become as popular in the States as Chinese or Japanese food. So many of the dishes are piping hot and it might be difficult for some patrons to eat the food until it has cooled some. Frankly, other than Sushi, Japanese food hasn't been as common as chinese food. Even sushi wasn't quite as popular in my parts until the last decade or so. For that reason, I have hope that Korean food becomes more readily available. As it is, I go to a little asian food shop from time to time for some of the food I grew to love in the 5 odd years I spent living in Korea and on Guam.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I heard Koreans eat rotten cabbage. As in actually rotten, and its supposed to be a tasty flavor. :lol:

You're talking about Kimchi. It's marinaded underground in a chili sauce, the idea that it's actually rotten is ignorant at best, and yeah, the stuff rocks. There is NOTHING better in the world for beating a flu.

Whoever told you about it being rotten obviously didn't actually know what they were talking about.

kinda sidetracking here, but it really annoys me that a lot of people seem to automatically think sushi = raw fish

And that it doesn't taste great, when made right.

I'm a huge fan of haggis, but people who've never even see one go 'ewww' but will happily eat sausages. They won't eat somthing that's cooked in a sheeps stomach, despite the fact that the stomach isn't eaten, but will happily eat pigs intestines, where poo is made. Ignorant hypocracy at its finest.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Funny thing about Sushi is that the first time I had it, I was in Korea. I can't remember the name.... Kimbob? Anyhow, when I got back to the US, I saw it again and called it by the name I'd learned in Korean. It took a while to get my names straight. I actually love sushi and it comes in many many varieties. However, most of my favorite do include raw fish.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Haven't eaten but I hear many insects are absolutely delicious when handled properly

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Sushi=Raw Fish

Raw Fish=Raw Fish

Sushi=Tasty

Raw Fish=:x

:x

Sushi=Raw Fish

Sushi=Tasty & :x ???

Contradictory! Ahh!

i'm assuming you've never tried sushi then have you? :lol:

sashimi on the other hand, does involve raw fish, and is incidentally damn tasty

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

TJ's orange chicken is delicious, I am in full agreement there.

My husband and I love to cook and we hardly ever eat the same thing twice. My new favorite site is Epicurious.com, which has tons of fabulous recipes. You can search by ingredient, which is very cool. We've made several recipes from that site. My favorites were Cr

And that it doesn't taste great, when made right.

I'm a huge fan of haggis, but people who've never even see one go 'ewww' but will happily eat sausages. They won't eat something that's cooked in a sheeps stomach, despite the fact that the stomach isn't eaten, but will happily eat pigs intestines, where poo is made. Ignorant hypocracy at its finest.

Well at the restaurant they say "the fine dish made in sheep stomachs". Your sausage from the local grocer doesn't say: "Note: Contains hog digestive system". You're just like yay sausages! :x Yuck sheep stomachs! :x

Haven't eaten but I hear many insects are absolutely delicious when handled properly

Probably... :x:x

Sushi=Raw Fish

Raw Fish=Raw Fish

Sushi=Tasty

Sushi=Raw Fish

Contradictory! Ahh!

I'm assuming you've never tried sushi then have you? :lol:

Sashimi on the other hand, does involve raw fish, and is incidentally damn tasty

No I have not, but I'm not doubting its flavor. I'm just talking about the catch with sushi.

Twitter | @Insevin

i've tried Huhu grubs. they're quite creamy and aren't all that bad at all

Sushi=Raw Fish

Raw Fish=Raw Fish

Sushi=Tasty

Sushi=Raw Fish

Contradictory! Ahh!

I'm assuming you've never tried sushi then have you? :lol:

Sashimi on the other hand, does involve raw fish, and is incidentally damn tasty

No I have not, but I'm not doubting its flavor. I'm just talking about the catch with sushi.

i wasn't saying anything about the flavour, i was saying people think sushi is raw fish, when it's not

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

How are different kinds of sushi cooked?

Some types of sushi contain no fish at all. Other types contain fish that is cooked (such as the excellent unagi roll).

The defining characteristic of sushi is the preparation of the rice.