Okay, I'm ready for The Witcher

~Di

Yes, despite my misgivings about (A) a preset MALE protagonist and (B) the stunning skill of being able to hump anything with a pulse, I've finally upgraded my PC with 2 gigs of RAM and am ready to plunge into The Witcher. (Yes, I know there is probably a Witcher thread in here somewhere, but I can't be bothered to hunt it up and I've heard the mods frown on resurrecting dead threads). Any tips, hints, warnings are greatly appreciated! Oh, and I just got my PC Gamer mag with the massive Witcher patch on disk, so I should be ready to rock.

I should get the game in a day or two. Anyone have any good Witcher fan sites or hints for a neophyte Witcher-wannabe? So many of you speak so highly of this game that I figured I'd better have a go at it. Folks around here seem to have pretty good taste in games over all. I think it was mkreku who recommended Gothic to me, and I enjoyed it and Gothic II very much, despite the premade MALE protagonist. :(

Besides, Crash Girl loves it. That's enough for me!

...Oh and mkreku recommends Gothic to anything with a pulse.

Oh, great! Here I thought we were friends, and yet I've been relegated to "anything with a pulse" category. :(

On the matter of A and B... A, Geralt is actually a very cool character, and B is optional.

Yeah, I've heard B is optional... thankfully. I honestly don't think my role-playing imagination is quite that ... evolved. It's one thing to sit on a guy's shoulders, pulling his little strings (I do that in real-life all the time... ask my husband), but girls just aren't my cuppa, so I'd just as soon skip that part, if you know what I mean. I'm heartened by your comments about Geralt. The only way I can enjoy "being" a male character is if that character is cool down to his toenails. (Yes, I'm being serious!) I mean, I have to like the guy and be rooting for him, and a serial fornicator wouldn't float my personal boat.

I'll probably be posting in the C&C Spoilers thread when I actually start the game. Maybe you can help me out when I get totally stuck, which I no doubt will be, sooner more likely than later!

Edited by ~Di

let Gromnir know what you think of witcher. a couple folks we knows says that witcher goes for some shock value during first hour o' gameplay... then settles into the same-old-same-old routine one would expect from an action-rpg. another drawback is that it is 'posedly a resource hog such that you will forget whatever complaints you had regarding nwn2.

on the positive side, Di is playing long after the game were original released. you not gotta play the glorified beta version that seems to be common for many commercial releases nowadays.

'course Di liked divine divinity, right? am thinking that you is more open to action-rpg stuff than is Gromnir... though we did have some fun with mass-effect.

regardless, let us know what your thoughts is.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it, Di. Personally, I thought Geralt was a well made character (but then, I play both genders in RPGs so I'm never fussed about lack of that choice), and all the sexxing about was pointlessly vulgar and clearly catering to the fourteen year old pimplemeisters, but really, the key thing is the gameplay and the story. The story is alright and the gameplay is pretty solid, so I enjoyed it.

Bit of an odd timing since the Enhanced Version is coming out on May, but oh well. If you aren't too concerned about the VO not exactly matching the text dialogue, I would recommend you grab the English dialogue restoration fan-patches that I hear are already available. I'm sure someone else can direct you to one - but that's probably the one thing you would want from the start.

Finally, it is a resource hog, but I managed to play it with my Radeon 9600 Pro and 1gb of RAM, so you should be all right.

Are the sexcapades avoidable? Or does Geralt engage in such as a natural course? I remember the lengthy dialogue trees and having to be pretty deliberate to even get to the action in BG2, for instance.

Don't suppose there are any annis hag like creatures with polymorph abilities in Witcher's world...

Here's hoping Geralt's wiener turns to lead and falls off...

let Gromnir know what you think of witcher. a couple folks we knows says that witcher goes for some shock value during first hour o' gameplay... then settles into the same-old-same-old routine one would expect from an action-rpg. another drawback is that it is 'posedly a resource hog such that you will forget whatever complaints you had regarding nwn2.

on the positive side, Di is playing long after the game were original released. you not gotta play the glorified beta version that seems to be common for many commercial releases nowadays.

'course Di liked divine divinity, right? am thinking that you is more open to action-rpg stuff than is Gromnir... though we did have some fun with mass-effect.

regardless, let us know what your thoughts is.

HA! Good Fun!

I'll let you know what I think, Grommy. Yes, I had fun with Divine Divinity, although it certainly had its flaws and was not in competition for RPG of the Year award from me personally. Its successor, Beyond Divinity, truly sucked. Horrible game. Still, I'm probably more open to variations of the RPG standard than some. Okay, okay. I'm bored. I am tolerant of action-rpg games, although not in tthe Diablo sense; I hated that game and its successors. Still, I need something fun to divert me, and I don't much care if it's Pulitzer material or not. Fact reamains, I have not played Divine Divinity in years. I can enjoy a game once but not put it on my top ten list... and I can enjoy games like Deus Ex that are not RPGs at all, but have a real "fun value". I wasn't really excited about The Witcher, for its resource hog or its adolescent sex humor rep... but frankly, I need something to amuse me until Mass Effect for PC is released. I'm hoping now that my PC has been upgraded and the patch released it will be worth the $50 I'll pay for it, but I frankly am not expecting a classic that I'll replay for years to come. I have my fingers crossed that Dragon's Age will be the next "classic" for me... but who knows?

Anyway, a lot of gamers enjoyed The Witcher, so now that my PC can play it I'll give it a try. Will give my humble opinion when I've finished it. For whatever it's worth, lol! Grommy is much more discerning than I am. I'm easily amused... though rarely blown away. -_-

Edited by ~Di

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it, Di. Personally, I thought Geralt was a well made character (but then, I play both genders in RPGs so I'm never fussed about lack of that choice), and all the sexxing about was pointlessly vulgar and clearly catering to the fourteen year old pimplemeisters, but really, the key thing is the gameplay and the story. The story is alright and the gameplay is pretty solid, so I enjoyed it.

Bit of an odd timing since the Enhanced Version is coming out on May, but oh well. If you aren't too concerned about the VO not exactly matching the text dialogue, I would recommend you grab the English dialogue restoration fan-patches that I hear are already available. I'm sure someone else can direct you to one - but that's probably the one thing you would want from the start.

Finally, it is a resource hog, but I managed to play it with my Radeon 9600 Pro and 1gb of RAM, so you should be all right.

Ah, thank you. So the VO enhancements are strictly fan-created? Thanks for the tip. I'll hunt around the net and see if I can find the one you recommend. If anyone has a link, I'd be grateful! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for! Thanks again!

Oh, great! Here I thought we were friends, and yet I've been relegated to "anything with a pulse" category. ;)

It was more a comment on mkreku's fabid gothic fanboyism... He has a point though Gothic is good.

LOL! I was teasing you, hon. I know mkreku is a Gothic fanboy, but I actually enjoyed the game and its first sequel. Haven't gotten Gothic 3 yet, since the rumors are that it is an incredible resource hog and buggy beyond belief. Darn, if you don't let me hastle you, where's the fun? -_- BTW, how is your game coming along?

Edited by ~Di

I thought the (rather long) tutorial was boring and ending up doing it in a couple sittings, but I figured I should stay with it and I'm really glad I did. Basically, don't be surprised if it doesn't float ya boat straight away.

Thanks, sweetie. That's good to know. I'll stick with it then until the action and the story picks up. *hugs*

Ah, thank you. So the VO enhancements are strictly fan-created? Thanks for the tip. I'll hunt around the net and see if I can find the one you recommend. If anyone has a link, I'd be grateful! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for! Thanks again!

Sorry if I mislead - meaning the text dialogue is restored to a more accurate (and thus lengthier, fuller) translation of the original, but the VO naturally remains the same. A dialogue restoration of some sort is promised with the official Enhanced Version, but I am not sure if that includes the VO.

And yes, the tutorial is rather dreary, but what tutorial isn't? It's certainly better than Peragus or the Temple of Trials.

Sorry if I mislead - meaning the text dialogue is restored to a more accurate (and thus lengthier, fuller) translation of the original, but the VO naturally remains the same. A dialogue restoration of some sort is promised with the official Enhanced Version, but I am not sure if that includes the VO.

And yes, the tutorial is rather dreary, but what tutorial isn't? It's certainly better than Peragus or the Temple of Trials.

Oh, I understand. That's okay. I'll still search for the more accurate translation, if I can find it. And I also understand that tutorials are by nature rather dreary. I promise not to judge the game by its tutorial. I really want to enjoy this game... if I don't, then it's simply not my cuppa. No insult to those who truly think it wonderful.

It was more certainly profane, but it was more coherent and made more sense.

I would wait for the enhancement pack as well. They promised to fix the animations as well, which is mostly welcome. Most of the animations looked really out-of-place in the original version.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh, great! Here I thought we were friends, and yet I've been relegated to "anything with a pulse" category. :)

It was more a comment on mkreku's fabid gothic fanboyism... He has a point though Gothic is good.

LOL! I was teasing you, hon. I know mkreku is a Gothic fanboy, but I actually enjoyed the game and its first sequel. Haven't gotten Gothic 3 yet, since the rumors are that it is an incredible resource hog and buggy beyond belief. Darn, if you don't let me hastle you, where's the fun? ;) BTW, how is your game coming along?

Don't hassle me! -_- I'm waaay waaay too autistic to understand humour.

Last year I was part of a team that came 2nd in a competition called Dream Build Play, which was run by Microsoft(for good or ill), which secured a contract... The game is called "Yo Ho Kablammo" and will at some point when the folks whom are still working on it, and finish it, be released on XBox 360 and I believe PC, I'm no longer working on it mind, I'm currently working on a whole other game which Team 17 are coming to check out on the 8th I believe. It's utter chaos for me at the moment, as I'm finishing my degree... All that is left for me is to find a Job.

Gothic 3 while a resource hog, is worth a purchase if you have the hardware, latest patches have supposed to improve the performance, and stability...

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

According to the latest 'pc gamer uk' podcast, CD Projekt are also having all of the dialogue re-recorded. I don't know if that's a feature that will be included immediately in the enhanced version but if not it will be in a patch at some point.

I thought there was a big patch around the corner...

I played through the first act and enjoyed it, but since upgrading my computer to Vista its been a bit unstable. So I figured I'd wait until the major patch came out.

I thought there was a big patch around the corner...

I played through the first act and enjoyed it, but since upgrading my computer to Vista its been a bit unstable. So I figured I'd wait until the major patch came out.

Thats what im waiting for!

I wonder if the patched version will stll have all the explicit sex in the US version now?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I hate it when people actually listen to me. crud.

hi Di! *waves*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

i'm curious, just how did the Witcher become known as an 'action' RPG?

i'm sure folk can quibble over categorization but, in my book, action RPGs are games like Diablo or Titan Quest. Nobody who gets past its prologue could confuse those games with the Witcher.

then again, Gromnir and i move in different circles. i'm sure the folk he knows are a rarified bunch.

p.s. once i tweaked the graphics settings, Witcher ran far more smoothly on my PC than NWN2. it looked much better and had quicker load times too.

dumber than a bag of hammers