BREAKING NEWS: ALPHA PROTOCOL - OBSIDIAN MMORPG

Llyranor

Sorry, but if you think that gender doesn't play a factor in role playing then you are one sad role player.

That's not what I ment. What I mean you still have near-unlimited opportunities to roleplay even within one gender :thumbsup:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Don't forget the destructible terrain, either.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Did I read Sand confessing that it's not a simple matter of aesthetics, but that he actually prefers to roleplay as women?

awkward

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Did I read Sand confessing that it's not a simple matter of aesthetics, but that he actually prefers to roleplay as women?

awkward

I used to want to kill you, but you're in my good books now. The former still applies, though.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Why can't we RP as a black? A Hispanic? An Asian?

What about fat ugly women? Why must they always be so unrealistically sexy?

Where iz the role play!?!111?!?

Geez.

If I cant play a half black, half hispanic, half asia hermaphroditic fatty it will be ALPHA PROTOCAL in name only!

awkward

At least on the PC and console. In PnP I tend to play males. :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

If I cant play a half black, half hispanic, half asia hermaphroditic fatty it will be ALPHA PROTOCAL in name only!

That doesn't even make any sense since the game is not a sequel.

Yes, it doesnt. And three halves make 1.5!

Not if you are Seamus Harper.

Geez.

That's actually a legimite point IMO. I would really like to hear on why you have to play as a Sean Connary/Roger Moore-alpha-male. Why can't i be a 5ft 3" italian with a Rocky-complex? Or a 6ft 6" blonde dyke who hates men? Or a black "Leeeeeeeeroy Jennnnnnnnnnkins"?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Geez.

That's actually a legimite point IMO. I would really like to hear on why you have to play as a Sean Connary/Roger Moore-alpha-male. Why can't i be a 5ft 3" italian with a Rocky-complex? Or a 6ft 6" blonde dyke who hates men? Or a black "Leeeeeeeeroy Jennnnnnnnnnkins"?

Even Mass Effect had a Leroy Jenkins.

Barbie dress up princess is a roleplaying game because you can choose what barbie looks like.

Come on now. I will not say that Alpha Protocol isn't an RPG because of a set main character, since it's just a trait of an RPG, not the very definition of one.

I am however, interested on why Obsidian has constrained it to one character.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Barbie dress up princess is a roleplaying game because you can choose what barbie looks like.

Come on now. I will not say that Alpha Protocol isn't an RPG because of a set main character, since it's just a trait of an RPG, not the very definition of one.

Probably because of lots of voice acting.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

My guess is they're using voice acting and having the voice actors constantly refer to the PC as "superspy," "hey you," or "that person" just doesn't have the feeling they'll be going for.

Spy villain: AH HA! Mr or Ms. FILLERNAME, I have you in my trap!

Edited by Tale

Hey Joseph and Mr. Sawyer!

Stop lurking and start posting, pretty please? :)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

My guess is they're using voice acting and having the voice actors constantly refer to the PC as "superspy," "hey you," or "that person" just doesn't have the feeling they'll be going for.

Spy villain: AH HA! Mr or Ms. FILLERNAME, I have you in my trap!

There is a point in that, yes. But considering the amount of games that has handled that issue pretty well in the past, then no, i am not convinced.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

There is a point in that, yes. But considering the amount of games that has handled that issue pretty well in the past, then no, i am not convinced.

If your argument rests on "well, others got away with it," then you'll never be convinced. Not saying my argument applies, but you could at least try opening your perspective. There are a billion other possibilities. Including that they actually do allow some level of customization.

At the end of the day it comes down to:

1) Does it fit what they're doing?

2) Do they feel it is worth it to implement?

Either could have many valid reasons to respond with no.

Edited by Tale

I hate Mass Effect because I can't chose my characters girth or voice like I can in NWN2. This makes NWN2 the superior game, for no other reason.

Girth and voice matter to me.

If that is what matters to you then that matters to you. I see no reason to dis it. :)

Probably because of lots of voice acting.

Mass Effect was able to pull it off quite well.

We know the name is fixed but still there is possibility that we will be able to choose the appearance, don't you think?

Most likely. I can't think of a good reason why you wouldn't be able to change appearance. I can see that with Planescape: Torment it was the way the graphics and animations were handled, but things are different now.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)