Prince Harry actually fighting!

Walsingham

"I know that when I was volunteering the fact that my girlfriend was very much against it, along with my parents, made quitting seem almost the only sane thing to do."

but they didn't do no news story 'bout you, did they? why not?

HA! Good Fun!

There is a very simple answer to that: the good people of Great Britain don't need to be upset at breakfast by pictures of an overly hairy barrel shaped monstrosity.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Someone who goes to war because they feel it's the right thing to do is superior, morally, than jimmy-poorbum who got shipped off to war because it was essentally the only career choise open to him, as seems to happen in the poorest areas of the US.

That doesn't mean that Jimmy doesn't deserve respect, but that doesn't make it any more noble than someone who HAPPENS to come from a royal family wanting to 'muck in'.

Gromnir is being bitter because people are actually noticing the guy, but failing to achnoloage that it's obvously not HIM that wants the attention.

The point is fair, we shouldn't, essentially, honour Harry any more than any other soldier, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be honoured.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Now they're sending Harry Potter home...lol

Kind of inevitable now.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Your prince is much cooler than ours. Ours is a complete ponce whos biggest headline was about him and his friends smearing eachother with jam at sailing cam.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Now they're sending Harry Potter home...lol

Kind of inevitable now.

Now that the evil doers know he is out there, time for him to be shipped back where its safe.

It's not as if he wasn't being shot at. They just weren't shooting at him because he was a prince.

EDIT: I wonder if they'll rotate him back in in six months like the rest of us? :shifty:

-Elwood Blues

"Which is more noteworthy: being the son of an aristocratic family and voluntarily going to war, or being the son of an aristocratic family and using your family's influence to get out of going to war?"

so what? lower the bar for children who come from substance... get some special pat on back for doing something that literal tens of thousands o' people do?

That's why I made the specific comparison between the children of two aristocratic families. What's your hang-up on Joe the poor (working class occupation)'s son from Philadelphia with the (diseased/insane/imprisoned) mom? Mythic Joe's service isn't less praise-worthy than Harry's. But Harry's service is more notable specifically because it is something that tens of thousands of regular folks do. Kind of like Edward II enjoying roofing. Many people see royals as effectively worthless do-nothings. When they actually do something of merit, it makes news. Why did John Walker Lindh draw attention? He did something that no one (or very few, as far as we know) in his position had done. On paper, he's just another Taliban soldier. Put in the context of who he was and where he came from, it becomes more interesting to a lot people.

as a history major, no doubt josh can name literally hundreds of US children o' privilege who took on the burden o' military service. wanna start the list, or should Gromnir?

What, from the Revolution through WW2? I'm talking about our recent history, the stuff that people your age and younger might actually have been alive to see. If we're going to dredge up ancient tales of valor, we might as well all yawn and talk about Henry V, who was (as far as I know) the last English monarch to personally engage in combat against a foreign enemy. There have been a few Lewis Puller, Jr.'s in our recent history, but a lot more people think of folks like GWB. For many Britons, I suspect that seeing a royal in a combat unit makes them loathe the royals less or appreciate them more. I believe Americans find the story interesting because we tend to associate combat troops (and military folks in general) with the poor and uneducated, not the wealthy and privileged.

I mean, no one's talking about throwing a Victoria Cross on the guy just for picking up a gun, but I think writing an article about him is probably okay!

The fact that the traditional view of of the arastocracy in the army is of the WW1 officer with the handlebar ordering 1000s more 18 year olds to their deaths on the somme without a thought only helps the refeshing image of Harrys actions.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

He's doing a job, just like ever other poor sod out in afganistan and iraq.

Gromnir's reaction is typical of the Monarchy hating American whom see's such things as tyranny... So in UK we don't choose our head of state, fair enough, it's not like they have any real power, so we have a bloodline of people whom are in the position due to hereditary reasons, they are afterall born into the position, they spend an entire lifetime in whatever position they are, and also preparing for said position. That in and of itself could be argued as being somewhat cruel...

The irony to me is that while we have no choice whom is the figure head of the state, Americans do have this privilage, and the president also has alot more power than our Monarchy, and to finish it all off you have chosen the son of a previous leader, I would argue based upon his name.

So what's worse, to have a powerless Monarchy, which act as figure head and representatives of a nation, or to choose and give power to a particular politician! And sometimes to even do that on a hereditary basis?

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

"But Harry's service is more notable specifically because it is something that tens of thousands of regular folks do."

of course aberrations is notable. is the reason it is notable that bothers Gromnir. the guy is english royalty... which means what? distant related to william the conquerer? so what? doesn't make the service more impressive or honorable or courageous. means only that it is more rare... an aberration worthy o' note, but not o' any special consideration. "oh, he is so courageous." no more than any other soldier in a combat unit... and his story is less genuine courageous than the guys who agonize over leaving home 'cause they can't support both family and country.

as to the notion that American elite avoid service... now josh is being disingenuous maybe... or maybe not. simple ignorance? heck, even now a military career is a big plus for political hopefuls. maybe josh would be surprised by just how many sons o' Congressmen actually has military service. sure, some has bush kinda nonsense, but to lump all in bush category is equal unfair. the thing is, every time a Congressman or fed Judge's child joins the military it not make the news, does it? is not noteworthy enough. only does we hear 'bout the son's service once that son Does something of worth, like become a public official, or if his service is particular noteworthy. mere joining o' a combat unit is not making national news... and for good reason.

as we said already. good for harry... but bad on those who see something particularly honorable or noteworthy 'bout harry compared to the tens o' thousands.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

as to the notion that American elite avoid service... now josh is being disingenuous maybe... or maybe not. simple ignorance?

I was talking about public perception. Many Americans associate combat service with uneducated/poor/working classes and believe that the wealthy/educated/influential/children of government officials squirm their way out of it. It was just a commentary on why anyone pays attention.

ps please keep in mind that Gromnir ain't being critical o' harry. is not his fault that he were born a royal and gets special attention. am thinking that it is great that harry wants to share in the troops situation. got nothing bad to say 'bout harry.

is the folks who make the story into something... more. those is the folks we is disappointed with. if the only thing that makes this noteworthy is the aberration factor, then here you go:

http://www.gigglesugar.com/242232

far more entertaining and unique.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah but Harry gets extra points for (attempting to) ride this sweet CB125 in the sand.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/imag...RY/22221878.JPG

point for josh... and harry.

HA! Good Fun!

...heck if I`m not mistaken twas a US medium that broke the Harry story :)

Not really. All The Drudge Report does is cherrypick already published articles from other publications, and put links to them in his websight. Apparently he linked to an Australian magazine, that broke the news blackout, which was then picked up by a German newspaper. The Drudge Report merely linked to their story.

Edited by ~Di

"Gromnir's reaction is typical of the Monarchy hating American whom see's such things as tyranny"

you is kidding, right? we think the monarchy stuff is a joke; a very expensive joke. the aforementioned Restoration happened 'cause english were so damned attached to the Idea of a monarch. the monarchy, given how your govt. actually works, is some symbolic gesture with a big price tag. have the queen turn over a shovel full o' dirt at tart o' some big civil works project makes all the little brits in attendance feel better 'bout themselves.

the rest o' nightshade's observation ain't really applicable, relevant or accurate.

the english monarchy would be a quaint anachronism if you folks weren't so passionate 'bout it.

HA! Good Fun!

Let's turn a story about a prince fighting a war into A BATTLE OF POLITICS

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Point taken. :) I should have added my personal view that it's nice seeing someone who talks the talk actually walk the walk. Afghanistan is no picnic in the park, and from all accounts Harry is well-respected by his men and seen as a fine soldier by his superiors. His family, royal or not, and indeed his country have a right to be proud!

"Gromnir's reaction is typical of the Monarchy hating American whom see's such things as tyranny"

you is kidding, right? we think the monarchy stuff is a joke; a very expensive joke. the aforementioned Restoration happened 'cause english were so damned attached to the Idea of a monarch. the monarchy, given how your govt. actually works, is some symbolic gesture with a big price tag. have the queen turn over a shovel full o' dirt at tart o' some big civil works project makes all the little brits in attendance feel better 'bout themselves.

the rest o' nightshade's observation ain't really applicable, relevant or accurate.

the english monarchy would be a quaint anachronism if you folks weren't so passionate 'bout it.

HA! Good Fun!

grobnar it's NIGHTSHAPE tard.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me