US Presidential Elections

Guard Dog

What do you think about this story of Hillary embellishing on her visit to Bosnia or some such place and claiming she came under sniper fire.

How do you downplay that a presidential candidate shows symptoms of being a pathological liar ?

Recommend they take up politics?

Seriously, if you want politicians who only tell the truth you'll wait a long time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Politicians who tell the "truth" are never elected, since they tell people what they don't want to hear.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Something I've heard GD say enough times...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Politicians who tell the "truth" are never elected, since they tell people what they don't want to hear.

I wonder if that's true. Has anyone actually tried?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I wonder if that's true. Has anyone actually tried?

Yes. I have. It did not go over so well.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Really? Could you elaborate?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I was brutally honest in my bid to become class treasurer in jr. high. The trick is to focus most of your honesty on your opponents ugly, good for nothing mug.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Really? Could you elaborate?

When I got out of the military I got involved in politics, almost by accident. I ended up working as a paid consultant for Don Garlits in his congressional campaign (he lost). I then went to work for the Florida Republican Party for two years. I ran for the Florida State House in 1996 (and lost). I had tied so much of my own money in the campaign I was broke and I decided then and there politics was not for me. I used my GI Bill to go back to college and finish my BSEE degree.

Anyway there were a number of issues in that campaign that people wanted the state to do that simply put were not the States responsibility (like buiding a high speed rail transit system or State sanctioning of homeowners associations as governing bodies). I made my position plain in my campaign and lost. I decided I was going to do what was right, not politcally expedient. I thought I could take the straight talk angle. it didn't work.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Still no news about exit polls or whatnot?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hillary will obviously win, something like 3/4 of the democrats are old.

The question si by how much, breaking the 60 barrier is not impossible at the moment but less than 10% are counted.

With 99% reporting Clinton - 55%, Obama - 45%. No surprise she won and it was by a big enough margin to keep her going. So with Hillary likely to win Indiana, Montana, and Guam and Obama likely to win Oregon, North Carolina, and PR there is an excellent chance they will go into the convention in a virtual tie. I am loving this! Plus the polling trends are going against Obama. The more he talks, the less people like him.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/04/22/de...aws-to-a-close/

Thomas Sowell

As long as Hilary or Obama wins America I will be happy. Or less sad.

Do we know whether Hil/Ob are winning compared to Mc/Bush's type, or is all the competition so far about who will lead if elected?

TBH I think America's system is pathetic. A cult of personality designed to waste exorbitant amounts of money whilst keeping the proles occupied. Maybe?

A cult of personality designed to waste exorbitant amounts of money whilst keeping the proles occupied. Maybe?

Not entirely, but definitely partially.

Everyone is so used to this 'voting on instinct' thing by now that cynicism has turned to acceptance. Nobdody really minds enough to buck it up.

Actually Krezack most Americans have no clue how little power the executive (President) branch has. Especially if Congress were to become hostile (as is likley if the candidate who wins goes extreme left or right). It really is about personality not qualifications or ability. Personally I think the 2008 election is sounding more and more like an Alien vs Predator tag line. No matter who wins, we lose.

Thomas Sowell

Is Congress democratically elected?

Completely.

Thomas Sowell

Now i know why Obama speaks with a such beautiful and naive manner. Apparently, he hasn't met the guy in the smokey room yet. Hillary and McCain met him aeons ago :ermm:

...AND YOU HAVE MEDDLED WITH THE PRIMAL FORCES OF NATURE! MR. OBAMA!

...AND.YOU.WILL.ATONE.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/america...e/18034744.html

I've read a lot of analysis after yesterdays pimary and this is one of the better ones. They are all looking at the same thing though:

Problem was, he lost all the older voter categories, starting at age 45. He lost white people, both genders. And with respect to every background, he lost the working-class folks, the union members, and the non-college educated. He lost suburbanites (including two of the suburban Philadelphia counties, Montgomery and Bucks, that he needed to win by comfortable margins), small-town dwellers, and rural residents. He lost the white Catholics and he lost the Jews. He lost the culturally-conservative Democrats on Bob Casey's home turf, Lackawanna County, by a 3 to 1 margin.

So far Hillary has won the biggest margins in the november swing states (that is states that may go either way come the general election) The important swing states are Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado and Indiana. Hillary has won them all except Colorado and Iowa. Indiana hasn't voted yet. Obama has won biggest in states that the democrats simply will not win in november. That means he will be vunerable in the swing to McCain who is a liberal by republican standards. Remember, McCain is going to get 260 electoral votes just by winning the solid red states. He would only need to win any two of the swing states to defeat the democratic candidate. That means Obama would need to win 6 of 7 states he did not win the primary in if he is the candidate.

Believe me, the superdelegates are aware of this. I still think they will snatch the brass ring away from him at the last minuite. I will not be fair but I think it's coming.

Thomas Sowell

So far Hillary has won the biggest margins in the november swing states (that is states that may go either way come the general election) The important swing states are Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado and Indiana. Hillary has won them all except Colorado and Iowa. Indiana hasn't voted yet. Obama has won biggest in states that the democrats simply will not win in november. That means he will be vunerable in the swing to McCain who is a liberal by republican standards. Remember, McCain is going to get 260 electoral votes just by winning the solid red states. He would only need to win any two of the swing states to defeat the democratic candidate. That means Obama would need to win 6 of 7 states he did not win the primary in if he is the candidate.

Believe me, the superdelegates are aware of this. I still think they will snatch the brass ring away from him at the last minuite. I will not be fair but I think it's coming.

I repeat: They're not as dumb as you hope they are. Seriously, do you have any idea what would happen if an african-american candidate with the lead in delegates, popular vote, and victories is denied the party's nomination by party elders?

Looking at past elections, there is no correlation between a state's support of one candidate in a primary and their support for that candidate in the general election. People voting in the Dem primaries are a pretty small subset of the electorate as a whole. And they are, by and large, Democrats: Faced with the choice of either a candidate whose policy positions are virtually identical to the positions of the candidate they preferred in the primary, or a candidate who stands for 4 more years of the Bush economy and Bush foreign policy, they're not going to switch sides.

Pennsylvania did nothing but prolong the process. Hillary won by a large enough margin to stave off elimination (for now-- the media blitz in PA has left her campaign broke), but not by a large enough margin to change the overall picture.