PLAY BALL! The 2008 Baseball Season Begins

Guard Dog

Well, the NFL season is over and we are all sad. The NHL holds my interest a little so long at the Panthers are playing. But today Major League Baseball (the sport we sort of follow between football seasons) begins it's spring training. Any thoughts of how YOUR team will do this year? Who is your team for that matter? Is base ball still relevant in the US and the world? Will the cloud of performance drug abuse affect the season? This year is the 100th year since the Cubs last won a championship, will the drought end?

Discuss!

http://mlb.mlb.com/spring_training/y2008/index.jsp?c_id=mlb

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Great Pitching, questionable offense, and can they stay healthy? That about sums about the 2008 San Diego Padres.

We just signed Tony Clark, which will help our bench, add a strong veteran presence and also give Gonzalez some much needed day's off. Our division is pretty strong with the emergence of the D Backs and Rockies. I still think we have a shot at a division title. Can't wait for the season to start. The break between football and baseball is far too long.

Projected lineup:

RF Brian Giles

2B Tadahito Iguchi

1B Adrian Gonzalez

3B Kevin Kouzmanoff

CF Jim Edmonds

SS Khalil Greene

LF Scott Hairston

C Josh Bard

Projected Rotation:

Jake Peavy

Chris Young

Greg Maddux

Randy Wolfe

Mark Prior

Projected Bullpen:

Trevor Hoffman

Heath Bell

Cla Meredith

Kevin Cameron

Justin Hampson

Joe Thatcher

Wil Ledezma

The Tribe now employs a relief pitcher known as Kobayashi.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3120653

It's unknown whether or not this relief pitcher also works for Keiser Soze, but I think it's safe to say that we'll need to hire more hot dog vendors this year.

If the Tribe can recover from that terrible, terrible choke in the ALCS, I think they'll win the Central. The Tigers' new lineup doesn't scare me. Good pitching trumps good hitting every time.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Today's signings

The Los Angeles Dodgers re-sign OF Mark Sweeney to a 1yr contract

The Philadelphia Phillies sign P Kris Benson to a minor league contract

The Seattle Mariners sign IF/OF Greg Norton to a minor lague contract

The Texas Rangers sign OF Kevin Mench to a minor league contract

Edited by Kelverin

I'll be a casual baseball fan again this season. It's Cubbies or nothing for me. But I can't help thinking that no matter what happens this summer it will be overshadowed by all this damn steriod crap. Sure, it was your wife taking the HGH and not you, Roger Clemens. Retard.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The Marlins are getting a new stadium:Marlins Stadium Agreement Reached

They are putting it on the location of the old Orange Bowl. There is a reason why the Orange Bowl game, the Dolphins, and the U of M all left that place, the location sucked. It's six blocks west of I-95 and Downtown Miami. There is one exit off I-95 to reach it. It's about eight blocks (1 mile or so) south of the Dolphin Expressway and the entrance ramp from 7th Ave (that runs by the OB) is west bound only. The area is dirty, run down and so high in crime that it is often featured on the A&E series "The First 48". Traffic will be a nightmare beyond imagining and there is a fair chance you will be robbed and killed for your trouble anyway. Miami can have them. Besides I've had more fun and spent less money going to Jupiter Hammerheads Class A games anyway.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This year the Tampa Bay (ahem) Rays have completed their transormation from a cool logo and mascot to a ridiculous one. How ironic is it that a team that now styles itself after a ray of sunshine plays indoors?

BTW, Atlanta now has Glavine and Smoltz again. I know they are old not but it is still pretty cool. I'm going up to Orlando the Friday after next to check out their scrimmage.

Thomas Sowell

Barry Bonds is now out of baseball. Apparently he will not be missed. http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb

A pretty good read to put the steroid business in perspective: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/79...i021808.article

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

The Giants are in pretty crappy state. Without Bonds, their hitting could quite possibly be the worst offense since...well, ever.

1) Roberts

2) Visquel

3) Winn

4) Molina

5) Rowand

6) Durham

7) Aurilia

;) Frandsen

Things don't look too good on the other side of the bay in Oakland. But atleast the A's have a legitimate framework for rebuilding.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The whole steroids issues is overblown. Steroids did NOT make Bonds or Clemens great players. They're great players because they are great. Period. To me, steroids are really no different than other advantages like pain killers (of which , at times, players couldn't play without). people should stop whioning about it. L0L

And, the SF Giant players are liars, backstabbers, and hypocrites. Not to mention cowards.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I probably never will get the lure of baseball. I have played baseball. I have watched baseball. There is no other sport in this world that is more boring than Baseball and its derivitives besides Bowling and Golf. That being said I have to agree with Volourn. While the Steroids my allow such players bulk up and stronger, all that strength means nothing if they can't hit the ball in the first place.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Love, LOVE baseball, meant to be enjoyed with friends and family. Nothing quite setting in the bleacher on a lazy day talking with your dad/child or best friend about everything, including sometimes baseball itself. Bottom of the ninth, full count, base loaded, tie game - boring my ass, some of the most exciting moments in sports can be found in baseball, but I really don't mind all the down time either, don't miss the fact there is no time clock. Just love the game for what it is.

As far as steroids is concerned, they do give players an unfair advantage. No doubt about it, made average players great. Great players greater. How many minor leaguers never got a shot at the big leagues because they played the game "right" and never shot up or took drugs, how many peoples LIVES were altered? Nobody can answer that, but it's in the past, let's move on. That being said, I am tired of anything that has to do with steroids and HGH or anything like that, lets talk about spring training, roster moves, injuries, anything but the "S" word.

I do quite enjoy a baseball game if I'm at the stadium, and I'll usually watch some of the playoffs on TV each year, but I just don't have the time to really follow the sport. If I'm going to pick a sports team to follow, I'd like to be able to see a significant percentage of their games without being forced to quit my job and dump my fiancee. Reading the box scores the next morning doesn't make me feel like much of a fan.

Plus, the lack of consistent competitive balance in the MLB irks me. (This is also one of the reasons I dislike college football, despite being a big fan of the professional variety.)

Also, from a participatory point of view, office softball leagues are great fun.

Plus, the lack of consistent competitive balance in the MLB irks me. (This is also one of the reasons I dislike college football, despite being a big fan of the professional variety.)
I agree about college football, MLB really has the most competitive balance of any major sport, other than maybe hockey. Check the world series competitors over the last 10 years. Pretty evenly balanced I would say, however there are some teams that have ZERO shot at winning anything.

The point is that using steroids is against the rules. It is cheating, by gaining an unfair advantage over clean players.

So, if everyone in baseball used steroids, would that level the playing field? Would that make it fair?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Life isn't fair anyways. Besdies, if the myths are true, the vast majority of players were/are using so where's this disadvantage coming from/.

As for it being 'against the rules', rules are meant to be changed. Again, to me, it's no different then popping pain killers.

Life isn't fair anyways. Besdies, if the myths are true, the vast majority of players were/are using so where's this disadvantage coming from/.

As for it being 'against the rules', rules are meant to be changed. Again, to me, it's no different then popping pain killers.

Are the pain killers you are referring to legal? Because steroid use has been against the law for a long time. So there's a difference for you.

Do painkillers make you a better player? It might get you more innings pitched, or more at bats but they do not improve performance.

If I am not mistaken the minor leagues have always had very strict guidelines on steroid/drug use. Since the players union was so powerful the league was unable to demand stricter drug testing in the majors until recently.

However the owners are as much to blame if not more so, for the whole situation, they knew what was happening and were to busy counting their money to do anything about it.

"Are the pain killers you are referring to legal? Because steroid use has been against the law for a long time. So there's a difference for you. "

The law is punish. Check the alwbooks. there's lots of dumb laws in them. Laws not worth paying attention. Possibly laws that we are all breaking in one wya or another as well. Again, lawsa re meant to be changed.

"

Do painkillers make you a better player? It might get you more innings pitched, or more at bats but they do not improve performance"

Painkillers do make you a better player as you likely wouldn't be able to play at all or play worse if you didn't do them. As otehrs have asked, if painkillers didn't improve performance then why do athletes take them?

To me, steroids are really no different than having a full time physician help you with your training regiment, or anything that helps a player become better (even if the effect of steroids on a player's ability is questionable even in the best of circumsatnces).

Afterall, if steroids made players better, why aren't there more players with Barry Bond type numbers? L0L In fact, a guy from Detroit who got caught/suspended for steroids last season had some of the worst stats known to mankind. L0L Steroids sure didn't help him any. Ha. Why wasn't he hitting 70+ homers?

R00fles!

I must admit, i have always enjoyed attending minor leauge games more than the majors (something about $5.00 beers offends my sense of right and wrong). But I do go to Marlins games whenever I can. Especially when the Braves are in town. Atlanta and Tampa are my favorites but with the Marlins so close I follow them as well. If you are not a baseball fan and wish to become one, I reccomend a trip to Cooperstown. If that does not make a fan of you, nothing will.

Thomas Sowell

I must admit, i have always enjoyed attending minor leauge games more than the majors (something about $5.00 beers offends my sense of right and wrong). But I do go to Marlins games whenever I can. Especially when the Braves are in town. Atlanta and Tampa are my favorites but with the Marlins so close I follow them as well. If you are not a baseball fan and wish to become one, I reccomend a trip to Cooperstown. If that does not make a fan of you, nothing will.
Try about $8.00 for a 16oz beer in San Diego. If I want to bring the wife and kid and sit in a seat at petco park I can expect to drop $200.00 at least. I'll go like once a year, and watch the rest of the games for "free" on TV.

I long for the days of Jack Murphy Stadium, $5.00 tickets about $6.00 for a beer and hot dog and $4.00 parking :sad: