PLAY BALL! The 2008 Baseball Season Begins

Guard Dog

"MIAMI -- After eight years of searching for a long-term home -- and eight years of frustration -- the Marlins on Thursday ecstatically found the answer to their dreams. Funding for a new stadium, in the form of a Baseball Stadium Agreement, was approved by the two principal commission bodies here."

Link

"MIAMI -- After eight years of searching for a long-term home -- and eight years of frustration -- the Marlins on Thursday ecstatically found the answer to their dreams. Funding for a new stadium, in the form of a Baseball Stadium Agreement, was approved by the two principal commission bodies here."

Link

It's on the site of the Orange Bowl. There is a reason why the Dolphins, Hurricanes, heck even the FedEx Orange Bowl wanted to get out of the Orange Bowl, the area sucks. Limited freeway access, all two lane surface streets, and very high crime. Just watch the show "The First 48" on A&E and you will see that area all the time. They say having the new stadium there will rejuvenate the area. Well having the OB there didn't help so I'm not sure where they got THAT idea.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's on the site of the Orange Bowl. There is a reason why the Dolphins, Hurricanes, heck even the FedEx Orange Bowl wanted to get out of the Orange Bowl, the area sucks. Limited freeway access, all two lane surface streets, and very high crime. Just watch the show "The First 48" on A&E and you will see that area all the time. They say having the new stadium there will rejuvenate the area. Well having the OB there didn't help so I'm not sure where they got THAT idea.
Depends on how they do it. We had the same problem here in San Diego, downtown was a mess, derelict buildings, homeless people, violence in the street, but they did it, cleaned up the area and it's barely recognizable from what it used to be like. Nice restaurants, bars, night clubs and shopping centers, built the convention center - cleaned up the crime in the area, and then gave the homeless tickets to Arizona I think :)

Not much news happening around the Grapefruit League yet but the rest of the players are reporting to camp now and the first split squad games are next week. I'm definitely doing up to Vero Beach next Friday to watch the Rays split game against the Marlins, then to Orlando on Saturday to watch the Braves inter-squad scrimmage. Should be fun.

Since there is no real news yet read this article if you can get through it without laughing:

Ex Minor Leaguers may Sue MLB Over Steroids

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is too funny. This I have to see!

Marlins to Create All Male Plus Size Cheerleaders

Thomas Sowell

The sad thing about this season is that its over before it even begins, the Stros are a lock.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

More baseball than you can stand

The Arizona Diamondbacks sign OF Trot Nixon to a minor league contract

The Pittsburgh Pirates sign P Byung Hyun Kim to a 1yr contract

The Seattle Mariners sign 1B Mike Kinkade to a minor league contract

The Toronto Blue Jays sign OF Shannon Stewart to a minor league contract

The Boston Red Sox sign P Bartolo Colon to a minor league contract

The Chicago White Sox sign P Tomo Ohka to a minor league contract

The Cincinnati Reds sign P Josh Fogg to a 1yr contract

The Cleveland Indians sign OF Jason Tyner to a minor league contract

Edited by Kelverin

Barry Bonds pre-2000 was the most talented baseball player since Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle.

Barry Bonds post 2000 is the single most devastating hitter in the history of the game. This iteration of Bonds is my favorite.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Nationals Ballpark a Sight to Behold

I must say I really like the current trend of baseball only stadiums. This game just does not work on football fields. Plus don't you hate watching football games with infield dirt in October. The new Nationals park looks really nice but it's got nothing on the one they are bulding in Tampa.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/column...ory/512051.html

This is a cool story. And I don't think Texas will have that many cool stories this year.

Thomas Sowell

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/column...ory/512051.html

This is a cool story. And I don't think Texas will have that many cool stories this year.

They continually refer to him as a "kid". The guy is turning 27 in a few weeks. He's supposed to be in the prime of his career. They're comparing him to 19 year old versions of Juan Gonzalez, Ivan Rodriguez, and even Ruben Sierra. You can't! Of course you can't compare him (in his current form) to those guys at 19! He's not some raw kid who hasn't fully grown into his body yet. He's a polished baseball player who's benefited from several years of top level instruction, weight lifting, with some substance abuse here and there.

It's great that Josh Hamilton is finally becoming the baseball player that he was supposed to be when he was first drafted 8 or 9 years ago. But jeeze, the guy can't be called a prospect. Call him a long time minor leaguer/high pick bust, who cleaned up his life and is supposed to play at the proper level he was originally envisioned to play.

Randy Galloway? I'll add him to my list of douchebag baseball writers/commentators. Joining the likes of Richard Griffin, Bruce Jenkins, Joe Morgan, and Tim McCarver.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Mets Say No to Bonds, Becket out with Back Injury, Cubs leaving Wrigley?

The homerun king is officially persona non grata in MLB these days. When Tampa and NYM say no (both teams in need of a power hitter) you know it's over.

Thomas Sowell

I've finally made it to a spring game. I drove over to Jupiter to watch the Marlins and Orioles. The fish were beaten like red headed step children. But I got my first look at their prize prospect Jeremy Hermidia. He was one of the bright spots especially when he hit a HR that cleared the stadium wall at the deepest point. But he was hacking at some really bad pitches trying to make something happen. The rest of the team played pretty dismally especially the bullpen. Nolasco pitched three perfect innings before giving up a hit. Then the bullpen pitchers came in, a new one every other inning. They gave up 16 hits and 7 earned runs. The prognosticators have not had much nice to say about the fish. So far I'd agree.

Thomas Sowell

"When Tampa and NYM say no (both teams in need of a power hitter)"

Eh? Since when? A team that has Beltran, Wright, and Delgado aren't exactly lacking power hitters. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...

If you slept in this morning you missed opening day in Japan, where the Red Sox beat the A's 6-5 to begin the regular season. They will play again tomorrow. Funny thing is both teams are going to play more exhibition games this season.

Canseco will soon be releasing another book

"As for Alex Rodriguez, Canseco says he didn't inject Rodriguez, but that he "introduced Alex to a known supplier of steroids." Canseco didn't mention Rodriguez in the first book because he "hated the bastard." He was worried that people would have "questioned [his] motives" had he included Rodriguez.

Why all the hatred, you ask. Well, Canseco claims that A-Rod was trying to sleep with Canseco's wife. Apparently, even after Canseco had been nice enough to help A-Rod find a friendly steroids supplier, A-Rod kept calling Canseco's wife.

And, in case there's any further confusion about Canseco's true feelings, he ends the chapter by saying:

So A-Rod, if you're reading this book, and if I'm not getting through to you, let's get clear on one thing: I hate your ****ing guts."

Link

Canseco is a bitter ex ball palyer who couldn't hack it anymore. Now, he's accusing everyone he can, and yeah, sometimes the accusations turns out to true; but hey, when you accuse 80% of a group of something you are bound to be right about it once,a nd awhile.

Disgusting piece of poo he is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.