PLAY BALL! The 2008 Baseball Season Begins

Guard Dog

Pujols to miss at least three weeks

CINCINNATI -- The Cardinals will be without Albert Pujols for at last three weeks, and perhaps more.

The first baseman was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday with a strained left calf. Pujols originally sustained the injury on June 3 in Washington, but aggravated it Tuesday night breaking from the batter's box on a grounder.

As expected, Chris Duncan was called up from Triple-A Memphis and will start in Pujols' place at first base. Duncan will bat sixth, while Ryan Ludwick will take Pujols' spot at third in the order.

Not a good week for managers.

"After being swept in Milwaukee by the Brewers and losing five straight game, the Toronto Blue Jays have fired manager John Gibbons, coaches Marty Pevey, Ernie Whitt and Gary Denbo.

Cito Gaston has returned as the manager for the remainder of the season. Nick Leyva will coach at third base and Gene Tenace returns as the hitting coach - both coaches from the Blue Jays 1992 and 1993 World Series title era. Roving hitting instructor Dwayne Murphy will take over as the first base coach."

Link

Not really a fan of inter-league play, I must admit the weekend series in Chicago has been exciting, but it seems to be the exception and not the rule....

What about the rest of you?

Recent transactions

Indians sign 3B Morgan Ensberg to a minor league deal.

The Atlanta Braves sign P Jorge Julio to a minor league contract

The Florida Marlins sign P Chris Michalak to a minor league contract

The New York Yankees sign P Sidney Ponson to a minor league contract

The Baltimore Orioles sign P Tim Spooneybarger to a minor league contract

The Seattle Mariners sign P Scott Williamson to a minor league contract

The Cleveland Indians acquire C Sal Fasano from the Atlanta Braves for a player to be named later

The New York Yankess sign 3B Chris Basak to a minor league contract

The Toronto Blue Jays acquire P Jonah Bayliss from the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later

Edited by Kelverin

Jeter voted most overrated player by 495 of his peers

http://www.knucklecurve.com/derek-jeter-vo...errated-player/

Switch Pitcher vs Switch Hitter :deadhorse:

http://www.bugsandcranks.com/the-clubhouse...switch-pitcher/

Transactions

The Houston Astros sign OF Val Majewski to a minor league contract

The Kansas City Royals release P Bret Tomko

The Washington Nationals sign P Zack Segovia to a minor league contract

Talk about a dumb career move

"Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon was suspended indefinitely by the team Wednesday for insubordination after reportedly grabbing general manager Ed Wade by the neck and throwing him to the ground."

More Info

Trades/Transactions

The Detroit Tigers trade P Denny Bautista to the Pittsburgh Pirates for P Kyle Pearson

The Pittsburgh Pirates release OF Kevin Thompson

The Seattle Mariners acquire P Nelson Payano from the Atlanta Braves to complete the trade for Greg Norton

The Cleveland Indians sign P Juan Rincon and IF Tony Graffanino to minor league contracts

The Kansas City Royals claim P Robinson Tejada off waivers from the Texas Rangers

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. They're winning because they have an awesome team. Plain, and simple. Theys eemed to have no problem winning with him when they tied for 1st over, almost amde thre world series, and outside of a horrible September last seaosn ahd a pretty good season.

They were eventually going to turn it around, anyways. *shrug*

It's what happens when you have guys like Reyes, Wright, and Beltran. (Reyes and Beltran who should be the ASG, btw).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I do, as much as I care about anything. The best players should eb there. And, Beltranm and Reyes ar eamonsgt the best at their position. they belong there.

P.S. ON a negative Mets thing, the next time I read/hear someone claiming how great at defense Wright is; I'm gonna to imagine punching them a billion times 'cause he sucks in the field. Period. He makes one great play and now people think he's god's gift to fielding at 3rd base. L0L Pathetic.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I do, as much as I care about anything. The best players should eb there. And, Beltranm and Reyes ar eamonsgt the best at their position. they belong there.

P.S. ON a negative Mets thing, the next time I read/hear someone claiming how great at defense Wright is; I'm gonna to imagine punching them a billion times 'cause he sucks in the field. Period. He makes one great play and now people think he's god's gift to fielding at 3rd base. L0L Pathetic.

Replace "Wright" with "Jeter" and "3rd base" with "shortstop" then I would agree.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Been watching the All star game, the only way to stomach meaningless baseball games is with massive amounts of beer.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Did my best to avoid the allstar game last night, but what do you know, got home and it's a tie game in extra inning's. So I watched it, I was hoping for a tie that would have been funny. Why don't they just give home field advantage to the team with the best record?

The Kansas City Royals sign P Jose Capellan to a minor league contract

The Washington Nationals release OF Alex Escobar

Since when is Sexton a 3rd baseman?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Since when is Sexton a 3rd baseman?
Everyone's a critic

Since.....never 1B, RF

Most likely will DH or come off the bench against lefties

The Arizona Diamondbacks acquire 1B Tony Clark from the San Diego Padres for P Evan Scribner

The Chicago White Sox release IF/OF Pablo Ozuna

The Kansas City Royals announce the retirement of P Hideo Nomo

The New York Mets release OF Chris Aguila

Phillies acquired RHP Joe Blanton from the Athletics for second baseman Adrian Cardenas, LHP Josh Outman and outfielder Matthew Spencer.

Edited by Kelverin