Heavy Rain Tech Demo

Zoma

It seems to me that, if graphical realism is one of the main goals of the game, then they should release this on PC, and make PC the main platform.

It's still just a quick-time event fest, so it's not all that keyboard-friendly.

I really like the idea of having multiple intervening, but ultimately independent characters with their own plotlines. I don't like the fact that it is pretty much Dragon's Lair and that you have button icons flying around your character. Turning a game into one long QTE is a horrible, horrible idea.

Edited by Purkake

Don't worry, you can also directly control your character. It's not just QTE's. And I don't think graphic realism is the goal of HR, rather it's to tell a deep story in it's own unique way.

Yeah, you can walk from one cutscene/QTE to another.

A deep story would be awesome, but Fahrenheit didn't really fill me with confidence.

And what's the deal with the super CSI shades? Of course you can't do the whole CSI process, but at least don't try to pretend that they are anything other than a gimmick. Can't he just look at the tire tracks and use his super detective skills instead of super sci-fi glasses?

Edited by Purkake

Uhm, no, you can directly control your character during gameplay. From what I understand, you don't directly navigate the character, but rather look at a direction and then walk to this direction. I think that's a bit more natural than navigating the whole body.

Anyways, HR turns out to be an enjoyable experience, something different. I'm picking this up at release day.

Edited by Morgoth

Probably something like The Nomad Soul?

In other words extremely ambitious, quite impressive in part, and also broken in half a dozen places.

I dunno, I wasn't wowed by the heavy Rain gameplay demo at all.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Uhm, no, you can directly control your character during gameplay. From what I understand, you don't directly navigate the character, but rather look at a direction and then walk to this direction. I think that's a bit more natural than navigating the whole body.

Anyways, HR turns out to be an enjoyable experience, something different. I'm picking this up at release day.

Yeah release day, in Australia :teehee:

It might be good, but everyone is hailing it as the great new and innovating game. The hype is through the roof, as usual.

In the graphical department, it looks like that they've had to scale things down a bit. I cannot exactly point out what it is, but the overall picture seems to have been toned down.

The body-animation, cameraangles and general cinematography still seem to be top notch, but the detective's facial animation needs some work. His eyes are not focused, he blinks too little and the lack of animation of certain facial muscles makes his face look more "vaxed" than before.

I also saw a pimple on his face. I'm not goona buy the game now. :p

Geez, did someone put sand in your schnaaschnaa this morning? I was actually slightly positive about it.

Maybe you should understand on how Scandinavian culture works, nothing is ever awesome, ever. If something does not suck enough or is considered ok, it is 'good' from central european standards, and Dragon Age-thisisthenewsh*t-awesome from north american standards :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In the graphical department, it looks like that they've had to scale things down a bit. I cannot exactly point out what it is, but the overall picture seems to have been toned down.

The body-animation, cameraangles and general cinematography still seem to be top notch, but the detective's facial animation needs some work. His eyes are not focused, he blinks too little and the lack of animation of certain facial muscles makes his face look more "vaxed" than before.

I also saw a pimple on his face. I'm not goona buy the game now. :p

Geez, did someone put sand in your schnaaschnaa this morning? I was actually slightly positive about it.

Maybe you should understand on how Scandinavian culture works, nothing is ever awesome, ever. If something does not suck enough or is considered ok, it is 'good' from central european standards, and Dragon Age-thisisthenewsh*t-awesome from north american standards :p

I subscribe to the same Scandinavian cynicism. After all, Estonia has always been the wannabe Scandinavian state, we even have a Finno-Ugric language...

I just saw the GT video, and it kind of fills me with dread regarding QD's screw ups with Fahrenheit. They seem to drink to heavily from the crap psychological thriller school of writing, and I can still see them going all idiotic and mystical as the story develops. I hope they focus more on the characters, rather than the action or the Hollywood plot.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Tell me a game these days that is "100's of hours" long.

Gothic 3.

...from which I got bored after 5 hours. Next.

So what you're saying is that a game is only as long as you think it's fun to play..? Real clever.

Your ADD doesn't exactly have any relevance in this matter. Gothic 3 is still hundreds of hours long.

Fun fact: I know many people with ADHD, I have ADHD myself, and computer games are one of the things we can immerse ourselves in near indefinitely without getting bored (the Internet is another). It's called hyperfocusing, and it occurs when the subject at hand is emotionally investing (consider that most games are an exciting adventure where you constantly explore new areas/concepts). :sorcerer:

Edited by Krezack

I also saw a pimple on his face. I'm not goona buy the game now. :grin:

I subscribe to the same Scandinavian cynicism. After all, Estonia has always been the wannabe Scandinavian state, we even have a Finno-Ugric language...

Well thanks for the insights guys, but I wasn't really asking for scandinavian mentality. I just noted that picking a game on little details is really dumb, because a flawed masterpiece can still be a masterpiece, after all.

And don't get me started how cynic Austrians can get...

Peace. Happiness. Heavy Rain. :yes:

Edited by Morgoth

Well thanks for the insights guys, but I wasn't really asking for scandinavian mentality. I just noted that picking a game on little details is really dumb, because a flawed masterpiece can still be a masterpiece, after all.

Peace. Happiness. Heavy Rain. :yes:

I'm all for flawed masterpieces, but Fahrenheit is pretty much the only other thing that they have done and that I have played. The story had potential, but they screwed it up royally with the second half. Someone seriously though that adding ANOTHER evil cult and a damn artificial intelligence was a great idea...

I know they were short on time, but apparently cutting the delirium-induced story elements was not an option.

Edited by Purkake

Peace. Happiness. Heavy Rain. :)

What flawed masterpiece? Heavy Rain hasn't been released. Fahrenheit was an okay game with some interesting elements.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

• 6 months later...

It's time for a little necro...

New Hand-on previews at Kotaku and Eurogamer.

"At the moment, it's fascinating and compelling, despite the heavy, sometimes-cloying atmosphere and sense of sadness, despair and alienation. Heavy Rain is racing through virgin territory before you have even finished learning how to steer it, and whether or not it proves to be a great success, it already stands apart."

Also don't miss some new screenshots.

B00bs!

SLEAZY_PLACE03.jpg.jpg

Some more b00bs?

MAD_NEON2.jpg.jpg

David Duchovny?

CRIMESCENE03.jpg.jpg

lol i was thinking the same thing. the last pic is missing them though, somebody screwed up

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I have to aplaud them for making every character look like they are from a Kaurism

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy