Heavy Rain Tech Demo

Zoma

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be snarky! We all promote things we have a particular interest in.

Since I've heard Heavy Rain is to be a PS3 exclusive, I'm trying not to follow news about it as I don't see myself every being able to play it. Shame, Fahrenheit had a lot of potential. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

• 1 month later...
Because newc "usually" likes my gaming news, I'm just gonna post some more: Here's a full public presentation video of the Heavy Rain demo. Click

Most impressive!

I really don't like the gameplay so far, and some animations look a bit iffy for my tastes.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely. Shame it's a PS3 exclusive, though I guess a PC version might come out in the end.

DC: We tend to believe in our industry that we need to tell simplistic or spectacular stories, where the hero saves the world, destroys evil, or has supernatural powers. This is because the videogame, as a medium, has been too immature to tell complex and subtle stories. I made this mistake myself at the end of [indigo Prophecy], where I felt my story needed something spectacular because all I had so far was normal people leading a normal life. I realized that the "normal" part was the one that worked the best, and that it wasn't necessary to save the world to tell something exciting anymore. Heavy Rain will be about normal people in real life, and I believe it'll be much more emotionally involving, as gamers will easily relate to the situations and characters. This is a new approach. In Heavy Rain, you won't be a superhero or a gangster. You'll just be someone real.

Hallelujah!! :ban::*

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Sounds interesting, doesn't look quite as realistic as the hype seemed to indicate. Also the gameplay mechanics described will either be fun or head-banging worthy by the sounds of it...not sure which yet.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

New preview at Eurogamer

"I'm not starting with the story and trying to fit gameplay in," he insists, becoming animated, "because that would fail the same way. What I try to do is to think about the story and the gameplay together. At the moment that I have an idea for a scene, I try to think about the potential for gameplay in this scene. Or when I think I think about a nice gameplay mechanic, what's the potential for the story? I wrote many scenes that were deleted because they had a good idea for gameplay but not for story, or a good idea for story but not for gameplay. I need to have good ideas for both in every single scene."

This sounds like each single scene will encompass unique gameplay mechanics. So we don't get to see a pattern, with a story tacked on on it.

Also check out some screens and artworks

They need to make a full game that's all like the diner sequence in Fahrenheit.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

1Up Preview

"Luckily, its grisly serial-killer plot shows incredible promise. "Most publishers are still busy making games for 12-year olds," explains Quantic Dream CEO and founder David Cage. "Heavy Rain is for an adult audience who want to be emotionally engaged." Cage places immense value on depth and meaning -- two narrative tenets generally absent from even the best games' story lines."

In-game graphics that looks like Mental Ray-rendered images? Say hello to some PS3 powah!

• 5 months later...

In the graphical department, it looks like that they've had to scale things down a bit. I cannot exactly point out what it is, but the overall picture seems to have been toned down.

The body-animation, cameraangles and general cinematography still seem to be top notch, but the detective's facial animation needs some work. His eyes are not focused, he blinks too little and the lack of animation of certain facial muscles makes his face look more "vaxed" than before.

I really liked the developers vision though, hopefully they will deliver on those accounts.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In the graphical department, it looks like that they've had to scale things down a bit. I cannot exactly point out what it is, but the overall picture seems to have been toned down.

The body-animation, cameraangles and general cinematography still seem to be top notch, but the detective's facial animation needs some work. His eyes are not focused, he blinks too little and the lack of animation of certain facial muscles makes his face look more "vaxed" than before.

I also saw a pimple on his face. I'm not goona buy the game now. :)

It seems to me that, if graphical realism is one of the main goals of the game, then they should release this on PC, and make PC the main platform.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: