Heavy Rain Tech Demo

Zoma

I don't care how great they can make CGI humans look in stills or freckles or skin wrinkles etc. They still can never get the speaking-mouth movements right, and that ruins the whole effect in terms of "realism'...for me at least.

What the problem is, is the models aren't quite at "Real" yet. So they're still just animated characters, but the animators seem to think they look real enough so they use motion captured facial animation and such and throw the principles of animation out the window. So they have realistic animation, on a not-quite realistic character, which just looks wrong.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

newc0253

I think they eventually will be able to, as well...but that time is not now.

I'm not sure I really want games that look like actual live-actor movies. For one thing, then the constant violence aspect becomes more ... well ... creepy ... to me personally. 90-100 minutes of horror movie is fun, but I'm not sure I could stomach 100's of hours of such whilst playing a game. I'm a wimp, I know. :ermm:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tell me a game these days that is "100's of hours" long.

Tell me where I actually said that a game plot itself is 100's of hours long. :woot:

Maybe I'm unusual, but every game I've really liked I've played for 100's of hours. Which is why I don't like shooters much - they're not typically very replayable imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tell me a game these days that is "100's of hours" long.

Gothic 3.

...from which I got bored after 5 hours. Next.

So what you're saying is that a game is only as long as you think it's fun to play..? Real clever.

Your ADD doesn't exactly have any relevance in this matter. Gothic 3 is still hundreds of hours long.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

And here's a preview from IGN. Click

Cage ended the demonstration by noting that there will be around sixty scenes like that to play through and no matter what happened, there would never be a game over. Even having a character die, the story would continue on and be influenced by your actions.

Guess it makes sense to have more playable protagonists. But what if all die? Do we get a nice "Game Over" screen then?

Anyway, this is gonna be a must-buy, no question.

And here's a preview from IGN. Click

Cage ended the demonstration by noting that there will be around sixty scenes like that to play through and no matter what happened, there would never be a game over. Even having a character die, the story would continue on and be influenced by your actions.

Guess it makes sense to have more playable protagonists. But what if all die? Do we get a nice "Game Over" screen then?

Anyway, this is gonna be a must-buy, no question.

Sounds very interesting indeed. I would really like to see how that will work out.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They released a gameplay trailer, which consists entirely of quick-time events. The lip-synching also looks rather bad.

No, the uncanny valley has not been crossed. Not by a long shot.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah, I am wondering about the gameplay in Heavy Rain. It seems like they actually decreased the control you have over your character from Fahrenheit and built a game consisting of a chain of scenes consisting of various quick time events! Does anyone remember that old laser arcade game Dragon's Lair..?

This video didn't really demonstrate actual gameplay, as opposed to what was shown to journalists in Leipzig. You actually can have full control of your character, turning your head independently and walk into the direction where you're looking at. Basically, everything you can look at can also be interacted with (whatever that may be). The actual demo demonstrated didn't even have anything to do with the actual game, is it was specifically made for the Leipzig announcement. So who knows how's HR gameplay turns really out.

"You've seen so many games telling you about rookies going off to the second world war, heroes trying to save the world... We try to tell a real story that's happening in a real world. No supernatural powers, no monster to kill, just real life." He reckons this can be just as exciting. "If not more."

Finally someone who thinks like me! Now do a RPG using this way of thinking: no magic, nothing supernatural, just real life. I'm hoping Alpha Protocol will come close to something like that, but they have unlimited ammo and twin-gun wielding teenage girls..