theslug

Entire movie 2 hours:

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

Easier consumption:

Religion:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KeZB2EsPqGE

9/11 (skip imo):

Federal Reserve:

The religion one is pretty cool and the federal reserve portion is quite insane and I was quite unaware of some of that stuff. The crazy stuff is extra crazy but still I'm really a sucker for these kinds of things.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

i don't doubt many of the connections made in the religion pieces. religion was originally designed to explain the inexplicable. interesting nonetheless. too bad none of us will be around when the age of aquarius arrives (this is the dawning of the age of aquarius, the age of aquarius...). i would love to see what the new religion will be then, and whether or not its fundamental principles are already being formed (e.g. who is the savior, who are the disciples, etc.).

i think his thoughts on the banking, while seeded with a grain of truth, are a bit more of a stretch, however. i certainly do not like the federal reserve as it exists, though primarily because it is a privately owned entity that controls the US monetary system. i can't imagine how that has ever stood up to constitutional scrutiny, unless such a challenge has never really been offered. in any event, changing it now could be as bad, or worse, than letting it go on unimpeded. given that populations will inevitably increase continuously, some form of interest (inflation) is required to increase the pool of money available to the people. this is offset by the fact that "goods" also increase, i.e. there's more stuff to be owned. certainly there is a limit to the amount of resources available, the amount of goods that may be produced from said resources, as well as the population of the planet. i don't think the current system is set up to be able to deal with any of these limits, however. i suppose at some point we (or our descendants) will ultimately find out the answer, for better or worse.

i didn't really pay much attention to the other segments of the movie. i did note the "driver shot kennedy" piece with a chuckle.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Entire movie 2 hours:

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

imo skip

I watched the first 15 minutes and then watched some parts. Seemed like a smathering of mind**** seasoned with a hearty amount of anti-Americanism and complete with the good old "lol, jesus didn't exist"-hoobla. Well, maybe I'm not part of intended demographic.

Then again, I doubt that video is the best place to look for eye-opening experiences for anyone.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

i don't doubt many of the connections made in the religion pieces. religion was originally designed to explain the inexplicable. interesting nonetheless. too bad none of us will be around when the age of aquarius arrives (this is the dawning of the age of aquarius, the age of aquarius...). i would love to see what the new religion will be then, and whether or not its fundamental principles are already being formed (e.g. who is the savior, who are the disciples, etc.).

taks

Never heard of the Age of Aquarius. But generally all Major religions happened during the Axial Age. Or atleast thats the train of thought he was going after when he dubbed it.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Never heard of the Age of Aquarius.

i quoted the lyrics to the song above... "this is the dawning of the age of aquarius..." which is taken from the song "aquarius/let the sunshine in" by the fifth dimension, which was #1 on billboard's hot 100 for 6 weeks in 1969. the song refers to the fact that we are about to enter the "age of aquarius" astrologically (though it will be several hundred years before we are fully in aquarius).

taks

i certainly do not like the federal reserve as it exists, though primarily because it is a privately owned entity that controls the US monetary system. i can't imagine how that has ever stood up to constitutional scrutiny, unless such a challenge has never really been offered.

I think that there was a case sometime in the '10s or '20s that upheld the constitutionality of the Federal Reserve Act, but a quick search turns up nothing but tinfoil-hatter sites. In any case, the constitutional analysis isn't hard to do-- Congress has the power to coin money, regulate its value, and to regulate interstate commerce. (Prior cases had already upheld that the federal government could issue paper money, with or without backing in specie.) To insulate monetary policy from political influence, the FR Act simply delegated some of this power to the FR Board. The resulting entity, despite private ownership, must conduct its affairs within the confines of the Act, and, if the American people perceive any tyranny in it's operation, it would only take a simple act of Congress to limit or remove such power. I can't think of any other constitutional doctrine that would prevent the Congress from using a private group in such a manner.

EDIT: Well, I suppose you could invoke the non-delegation doctrine. This theory, which courts haven't given any credence to for almost a century, holds that Congress' legislative power is exclusive and cannot be extended to any administrative agency or other recipient of delegated power. A wide-scale enactment of non-delegation doctrine would destroy most of what the federal government does, and the only people who want it back desire it mostly for that purpose.

Edited by Enoch

Having a federal reserve(private) is a silly idea by itself IMO. But those documentaries are filled with huge holes and jumps to conclusions that could easily be anything limited by one owns imagination.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

To insulate monetary policy from political influence, the FR Act simply delegated some of this power to the FR Board.

EDIT: Well, I suppose you could invoke the non-delegation doctrine. This theory, which courts haven't given any credence to for almost a century, holds that Congress' legislative power is exclusive and cannot be extended to any administrative agency or other recipient of delegated power. A wide-scale enactment of non-delegation doctrine would destroy most of what the federal government does, and the only people who want it back desire it mostly for that purpose.

which is sort of the point i was getting at. true a widespread enactment would be impossible, but enactment in this one area would not. i understand the notion of eliminating monetary policy from political influence, but that's easy enough to avoid with a government bureaucracy anyway. also, "private" wouldn't be nearly as bad if all the "owners" of the reserve were purely US citizens. they are not as far as i know (hard to find out specifics with all the tin-foil sites out there), so now you end up with a situation in which US political influence is avoided, but a lack foreign influence cannot be guaranteed.

taks

But those documentaries are filled with huge holes and jumps to conclusions that could easily be anything limited by one owns imagination.

yes, they are. they take coincidental relationships that are, at best, tenuous, then extend them to full cause-effect without much justification. that's a standard "conspiracy theory" tactic. the only reason i gave any worth to the religion aspect is because of my already hardened notions on where it came from to begin with. even with that, plenty of what was said is questionable at best.

taks

Tinfoil hatters are always good for a laugh. Good link, Sluggo. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Is this truth convenient? I'm only interested in those kind.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Tinfoil hatters are always good for a laugh. Good link, Sluggo. :)

why sir, i am positively insulted!

i think it makes me look rather snappy. tis a fashion statement to be proud of!

you're just jealous because you can't pull it off as well as me :(

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your Rebel fleet. It was *I* who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

*ewoks attack, plan fails*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

defeated by teddy bears

the might and power of the Empire defeated by... teddy bears...

now i remember why Return of the Jedi is my least favourite movie

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

The point was that the truth is relatively convenient and incovenient. To the Empire, it was convenient, to the Rebels, it wasn't.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The point was that the truth is relatively convenient and incovenient. To the Empire, it was convenient, to the Rebels, it wasn't.

That doesn't sound very convenient at all!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The religion one was very interesting... I was expecting something along the lines of "Jesus/God isn't real and here's why" but I was surprised to learn something. On youtube. On the internet.

EDIT: The 9/11 vids are really disturbing... for me anyways. Especially the building that collapses for no reason.

EDIT:

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"