Mask of the Betrayer Redux

Big Bottom

Is there no way (with cheats for example) to get all 5 companions?

Btw, does anyone think there's gonna be a second expansion? it would really be cool to be able to reach lv 40 just as in NWN1 (for multiplayer purposes)...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I hope there's a second expansion.

Anyone know of any good wallpapers for Mask?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Btw, does anyone think there's gonna be a second expansion?

Many of the tooltips in the original NWN2 OC hinted towards MotB (the whole bit about Rashemen, Woodman and Okku, hagspawns etc). While there's not as much in MotB, there's one bit (which has no relation to MotB, just like the Rashemen references in the OC have no relation to the OC itself) about the Chult area. Maybe a hint towards an upcoming expansion, maybe not.

I'm not crazy about epic levels though, and I would prefer a new adventure (not the Knight Captains story) and have Obsidian focus more on "filling up" the current levels. Still, MotB was a blast for me so I will be thankful if a new expansion would turn out to be as good (epic levels or not).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

So should they be asked or want to make an expansion, Chult is a probability as a setting.

Cool beans. It's not exaclty been a frequent rpg location.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It would also make sense since Obsidian seemed to want to include a variety of different places for modders to toy around with. MotB is really varied in terms of where you go, it's almost silly (though it's actually awesome) when one views it in the the context of how long it takes to complete the game. Chult would likely provide yet more good resources for modders.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I want second expansion pack (as far as I played MotB it had potential being best RPG released in many, many years) but preferably without epic levels. Level scale 4-15 would be ideal for me. Epic levels are broken.

I don't know anything about Chult... :lol:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I would also like Obsidian to add all the missing content of the NWN2 OC in their next expansion, like the missing prestige classes (master of many forms/shifter, mystic theurge, contemplative, NW9 agent, NW9 magus, etc) and the missing races (ghostwise halfling, lizardfolk, etc).

I still wonder why they haven't fixed this in any of their patches.

Oh, and can we please have a proper fatigue system just like in BG and IWD? I really miss that, and it adds to the realism.

PS: I just noticed the cheat to add new companions in your party, but how does it work? Does the companion whose name is typed in the cheat console automatically join your party? Can we raise the number of party members in MotB just like we could in the OC?

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

:lol:

I would also like Obsidian to all the missing content of the NWN2 OC in their next expansion, like the missing prestige classes (master of many forms/shifter, mystic theurge, contemplative, NW9 agent, NW9 magus, etc) and the missing races (ghostwise halfling, lizardfolk, etc).

Ugh, like insane amounts of variables with all the classes, prestige classes, spells, races etc. wouldn't already create enough bugs. And no mystic Theurge plz.

I'm way more interested in quality storytelling, interesting battles, great art direction (MotB's beat NWN2 OC's easily) etc. instead of MOAR MOAR MOAR STUFF.

Of course, more stuff is always welcome but resources are limited and adding 15 different new prc's isn't something I would use them if I have to make choices. Wasn't it said somewhere that NWN2 "vanilla" tried to bite too much cake - having all the same things NWN1 did (minus epic levels & things related tot hem) but also having way more complex toolset, better singleplayer campaign, subraces AND pile of PrC's which didn't come in NWN1 until SoU

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, all the things I mentioned were supposed to be in the final version of the game. It is kinda normal for customers to expect those things to be delivered in one way or another (patch or expansion). Meh, I even remember when they were promising us to have horses. Why don't they put those in their next expansion too?

Too many promises, very few being kept...

Nobody reads the spoiler thread.

Where's the instructor level? There's a blackened doorway that doesn't lead anywhere on the main level, maybe that's it, but if it is it's a game-stopping bug for me, as I'm stuck and leaking spirit points.

Spoiler-free screenshot of suspected bug attached.

There is another entry to the instructor level in case that one is bugged though. If you go to the headmistress chamber, the other door there leads to the instructor level.

yeah, I noticed.

It would make sense to include fatigue in a Chult expansion, since wearing any kind of metal armor is problematic there. It's fun to play in PnP because everything's made of wood and leather and has serious penalties to attack and damage (though I wouldn't expect Obsidz to implement any of that). I'd think an expansion there would be interesting. That having been said, after the IWD series I'm burnt out on Yuan-Ti, which would be the logical antagonists in such a setting.

I wouldn't expect the Shardbearer to be the protagonist, though.

Played more MOTB till 3am, I just can't stop. Amazing game, and the performance improvement really brings out the best of NWN2. It doesn't exactly froth with mindshattering originality but it's an xpack and it's very, very fun and well written.

Second xpack... any outlandish setting would do me. Hell, why not Kara-Tur?

I've just finished the Ashenwood bit and did that Spirit trick to heal the Wood Man - which is great because the world map travel between the related areas was making my hunger skyrocket. Now about to go to Sunken City. I really love how the Betrayer/Akachi story, Kaelyn's crusade and my 'curse' are all being related without it being some sort of "earth-shattering threat to destroy world from beyond" thing. Also the dialogue isn't philosophical in NWN2 or KOTOR style, but it subtely pulls off what it wants to and there are some choice bits in there. Spirit Shaman is fun too, and the new simplified crafting system is excellent - I just have to figure out where I can get some spirit essences without Devouring.

I think MotB is going to be shelved for me until I can upgrade. I really like what little I've played, but having to play through every fight at 0.5FPS without resorting to "Pause before fight, queue up 5 meteor storms per party member, unpause and come back 10 minutes later as things start to move again" is just to difficult. It's impossible to control anything in combat with all the spell effects flying around. It's a shame really, but I don't think playing it on what I have is really going to give me a fun experience. :sad:

Edited by Deraldin

Seriously, WTF just happened to

Bishop's

voice?! Jesus, what the hell man...that's like totally not cool. In the OC his voice was deep, biting and with an air of superiority. Now he just sounds like Grobnar on crack. Not Good! I'm not sure why they decided to change voice actors, but if you're going to do it, at least replace them with one that sounds pretty similar (e.g. BG1 Jaheira --> BG2 Jaheira) and not like an emasculated Neelix from Star Trek.

manthing2.jpg

In the dialogue, there is an option for you to choose

'What happened to your voice? You sound different'

or something along the lines. I can't remember.

My assumption is that

He is slowly losing his identity which makes him, that includes both voice and appearance wise, gradually change over the time.

In the dialogue, there is an option for you to choose

'What happened to your voice? You sound different'

or something along the lines. I can't remember.

My assumption is that

He is slowly losing his identity which makes him, that includes both voice and appearance wise, gradually change over the time.

I saw that the option. Fortunately, I had enough wisdom. It just seemed like a cheap cop-out explanation of why they couldn't hire the original voice actor. :down:

BTW folks, invest in Wisdom. This game is chock full of WIS specific dialogs. :)

manthing2.jpg

There are a few INT specific ones to.

I just have to figure out where I can get some spirit essences without Devouring.

Eternal Rest + Undead Spirits = Your Friend (but getting enough Spirit Essences without being a Devourer is very difficult, I didn't get more than about two pristine through the entire game and I did some devouring, but not much

There are certain enemies, such as the giant earth elemental in the Underwater City, that yield pristine spirit essences when devoured.

I'm going the hard route this time - a warlock. That they have to be chaotic means that I have to shy away from suppression as often as possible. Can you devour the spirits of summoned undead / elementals?

There are certain enemies, such as the giant earth elemental in the Underwater City, that yield pristine spirit essences when devoured.

Yeah, I got that one. Maybe I managed to get up to about three total, I'm too lazy to check. Doesn't matter since I didn't use any, I didn't want to make the game easier.

Has anyone managed to get all 5 companions (with cheats)?

Spider/Pop:

Crap, I didnt' devour the underwater elemental. I used my first brilliant spirit early on, and now I've only just managed to save three by ER'ing undeads so I can get that Okku bonus in the berserker lodge at Mulsantir. Can I even go back there now, though? I've just cast ER on Myrkul (that area is awesome) and got myself into Act III.

Conversely, the game dropped into OC-level difficulties somewhere around the middle of Act 2 - and I've just started Act 3, for reference. Okku is an insane tank of course, but I think the bigger issue was that none of the spellcaster enemies really had resistances or offensive spells that really made you go "oh CRAP". Okku could pretty much kill everything with proper healing, for example, but in general it hasn't been much harder than the OC, which is a bit of a pity. We'll see though, the plot/dialogue is damn good.

Spider/Pop:

Crap, I didnt' devour the underwater elemental. I used my first brilliant spirit early on, and now I've only just managed to save three by ER'ing undeads so I can get that Okku bonus in the berserker lodge at Mulsantir. Can I even go back there now, though? I've just cast ER on Myrkul (that area is awesome) and got myself into Act III.

Yeah, you'll get to go back.

And I agree with you about the difficulty. Except getting hit for 175+ points of damage every now and then, there was nothing that really scared me.