Mask of the Betrayer Redux

Big Bottom

it ended up just my dude, F12/WM7, with my other two compatriots taking a dirt nap. i had about half the critters left, 10 heal potions, a half a pack of cigarettes, it was dark and i was wearing sun glasses. i got busy running from the two things that could hurt me, killed off the spellcaster types (they had a seemingly endless supply of something that did 30-40 per shot), then notification came that it was "time" to do the final deed, which went over quickly.

i decided to restart and actually get a few companions in tow next time. there's at least two side-quests plus the one dude i got...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I typically, if I had the choice about what I was doing in the first place, I scoured every bit of exp before the big fight. Now, don't get me wrong, I knew this fight would be painful for some folks, but you can beat the big guy early if you're dedicated. On the other hand, I prefer front loading my pain early and can find worse fights before you take care of the "boss" battle. By the time I get to the fight, I'm generally over prepared and trying to ensure I've (pretend you didn't hear this) farmed a little experience from the other folks in the battle. :Cant's ****-eating grin icon:

A little trivia. I could consistently kill this particular beastie before the cut scene finished to crash the game for a long, long time. I finally figured out the problem and finally managed to convince one of the designer that I was right. I can't say for sure which was was harder, but it was kind of funny. A little bit less so if it consistently stopped the game for some poor bloke.

I think this is a good example of why I said that MotB would be more difficult for most folks than NWN2.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I typically, if I had the choice about what I was doing in the first place, I scoured every bit of exp before the big fight. Now, don't get me wrong, I knew this fight would be painful for some folks, but you can beat the big guy early if you're dedicated. On the other hand, I prefer front loading my pain early and can find worse fights before you take care of the "boss" battle. By the time I get to the fight, I'm generally over prepared and trying to ensure I've (pretend you didn't hear this) farmed a little experience from the other folks in the battle. :Cant's ****-eating grin icon:

A little trivia. I could consistently kill this particular beastie before the cut scene finished to crash the game for a long, long time. I finally figured out the problem and finally managed to convince one of the designer that I was right. I can't say for sure which was was harder, but it was kind of funny. A little bit less so if it consistently stopped the game for some poor bloke.

I think this is a good example of why I said that MotB would be more difficult for most folks than NWN2.

So far I'm finding it considerably harder, but part of that is the 0.5FPS during fights because of all the spell effects. If I could just turn those off somehow... :lol:

Seriously, I haven't encountered a really difficult fight yet. And I'm in chapter III. There have been a few fights that I've lost, but they can be counted on one hands fingers I think and I haven't lost any fight twice.

I had some problems before I got the fighter NPC because my main character could punch her way out of a paper bag due to some really crappy equipment and everyone and their grandmother being immune to sneak attacks. But after that, nothing has really been that hard. And once I got a very special essence and crafted a weapon that was on pair with what I had in the end of the main OC (ie +5 with some elemental damage) and threw that special essence on it, nothing has been able to stand in my path.

And I'm playing on the highest difficult setting. It's just that my opponents doing double the damage doesn't matter much when they can't bloody hit me in the first place. AC 51 unbuffed and 55 with Tortoise Shell can have that effect.

(For reference, my character, who just hit level 30, is a Rogue 16, Fighter 8, Shadow Thief 5, Shadowdancer 1 with focus on Dual Wield. Do I ever hate myself for not reading the manual beforehand so I knew to get Crippling Strike so I could take the epic feats that enables sneak attacks on all)

Turns out Gromnir was right. Crafting in the original game was way overpowered. I've replaced none of the gear I crafted at the end. I wouldn't even have replaced the weapons had they allowed me to keep them (except for adding the special essence to one).

So I guess I'm not most folks, because for me the expansion is easier than my first playthrough of the OC was (and that was played on Hardcore).

Oh yeah, I definetely agree with that. It was driving me mad. Other spells that got erased was Safiyas "Stone Body" which she loved to cast.

Also, is it just me or do sound effects vary a lot in volume? I notice this now that I'm playing a Warlock when I use Eldritch Doom. Even though I turn the sound effect volume down a lot, occasionally (most the time it seems to follow the volume set in the options) it will be really loud. Same goes for stuff like, er... The tentacle thing (can't remember the name at the moment).

The sound effects are a helluva lot louder now. I've had to turn the sound effects slider to about a quarter, while keeping voice and music at pretty much max.

Oh, and Evard's Black Tentacles is annoyance on par with almost anything else. I even gave that spell the kickout in the OC.

But the new REAL portraits + awesome mystical score = much goodness. :lol:

[Nb. I'm not overly impressed with Safiya's VO though. Gann's and Kaelyn's VO's are pretty good, but Safiya's seems less than desired]

manthing2.jpg

So I guess I'm not most folks, because for me the expansion is easier than my first playthrough of the OC was (and that was played on Hardcore).

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and most folks scoff at MotB. I don't think so. I think you're the odd man out on this one. For myself, the packaged campaign was much easier for NWN2, but then again, MotB isn't a bragging rights game.

I suppose the real question is, is it so easy that you don't enjoy it?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, we shall see.

It's 5:30pm, I'm home and I'm ready to fire up MOTB, after just finishing the barrows as an Air Genasi Spirit Shaman.

I have at least 8 hours.

;)

I suppose the real question is, is it so easy that you don't enjoy it?

No, not at all. I thought the game was great fun. But I liked the OC as well. Replayability may suffer a bit due to lack of challenge however. We'll see. Of course I have to play through the last chapter again so I can pick up a little something that will allow me to get the "nice" ending.

I just find it a bit amusing when there is a loading screen tip that warns about difficult optional fights and I kept wondering what fights those were supposed to be. Still couldn't say for sure.

The final fight was ok though. For once my character didn't get to shine because she got killed fairly easily for some reason. But that's when your companions pick up the slack, right?

;)

The only question is if I can make it through the OC with any more characters or if I am to swallow my pride and start a new expansion only character. I do have a Frenzied Berserker/Weapon Master about a third in to the OC that I would like to get into MotB.

So... uh, where's the title movie from before I installed the expansion? It doesn't play anymore. It was a great movie and it no longer playing is totally not cool.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So... uh, where's the title movie from before I installed the expansion? It doesn't play anymore. It was a great movie and it no longer playing is totally not cool.

Yeah! I mean WTF, mate?

Also, where's my Ritual of Purification Powers. They were great powers and them no longer being there is also totally not cool.

manthing2.jpg

Shouldn't that be in the spoiler thread?

Anyway, since I myself had problems with this:

They're all in the instructors level of the Acadamy. Since one is pretty apparent to find once you're there, I'm assuming you haven't been yet so I'll stop here. Feel free to ask for clearer instructions if you need them.

Nobody reads the spoiler thread.

Where's the instructor level? There's a blackened doorway that doesn't lead anywhere on the main level, maybe that's it, but if it is it's a game-stopping bug for me, as I'm stuck and leaking spirit points.

Spoiler-free screenshot of suspected bug attached.

post-17393-1192262868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pop

Damn, from the descriptions Kaelyn is well developed, and I just want One of Many in there.

I'm at the point where I have Safiya, Gann, and Kaelyn and now the option opened up where I can have one more companion, but I'd have to kick out Safiya, Gann, or Kaelyn. *cries*. Dammit, I want them all! Oh well, I guess this first play through, I'll do the Safiya, Gann, and Kaelyn party.

Ease your worries, Brothers!

1. ~

2. DebugMode 1

3. rs ga_party_add("name")

4. DebugMode 0

5. ~

where name =

safiya

dove

gann

okku

, or

oneofmany

;)

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

I currently have a party of myself (Shaman/Stormlord), Okku, Kaelyn and Safiya.

Just beat Okku and fooled around with Lienna's portals.

I haven't met One of Many yet,

but I suspect he comes from the 'furnace' in Myrkul's Vault.

Am I able to progress in that area if I go back now, or do I have to wait until later in the story?

As for the combat, at Hardcord difficulty and with a pretty unoptimised party in all things, most combat is alright but the key fights are pretty difficult.

I gave up and toned down difficulty for Okku and the spirits, it was insane with just Kaelyn and Safiya.

Dusted my computer and now the game seems to be running tons better. It wasn't even that dusty. I guess I should clean it out more often than just every 6 or so months.

Okay, so the problem wasn't dust. Ever since I got this widescreen monitor and have had to play at 1440x900 minimum to play a game without it looking funny, NWN2 has run like a hog. Moreso than it ever seemed to do previously, even with options and stuff turned on.

Today I found out the real reason behind this. Xfire. Turning XFire off DRASTICALLY improved performance for NWN2 for me. I don't think I used Xfire the first time I played NWN2. Seriously, I was slideshowing whenever I was indoors and there were large amounts of enemies in the building.

Edited by Tale

Pop, I can't say whether that's a bug or not, as it isn't my place. However, I can say that, if you wasd up to the blackened area, you should see a walkable area through which you can walk. The door is either there and you can't see it because it's blackened, or it's not there but it blocks your ability to walk into the small are behind it. Either way, whether it's a bug or not, it's a pain in the ass.

Obsidian Plays

Pop, I can't say whether that's a bug or not, as it isn't my place. However, I can say that, if you wasd up to the blackened area, you should see a walkable area through which you can walk. The door is either there and you can't see it because it's blackened, or it's not there but it blocks your ability to walk into the small are behind it. Either way, whether it's a bug or not, it's a pain in the ass.

I figured out a way around it (see spoiler thread). Basically, it's a staircase you can only reveal by coming from it, instead of to it.

Thanks guys :)

Too bad I can't play MotB until next wednesday though. Oh well...

And what about that chest? Does it have anything of worth?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)