Mask of the Betrayer

Cantousent

mindless dungeon crawls

Whoah, brother! D&D is a broad church. Personally, I love mindless dungeon crawls. Absolutely love them.

You need something to break up the meaningful NPC dialogue and intense plots you lot seem so obsessed by :unsure:

I will happily meet you halfway, though. Mindless dungeon crawls (or MDC if we want a new three-letter-acronym) should be optional and not critical path. You can avoid them, I will POWAGAEME my way through them.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

mindless dungeon crawls

Whoah, brother! D&D is a broad church. Personally, I love mindless dungeon crawls. Absolutely love them.

No, Icewind Dale is a great dungeon crawl with excellent set piece battles and a good level of challenge. Hacking apart orcs and then for some reason, half the God damned city watch (which incidentally, nobody apparently cares about) is insipid, reality breaking and stupid. In that order.

You need something to break up the meaningful NPC dialogue and intense plots you lot seem so obsessed by :thumbsup:

... like?

Did we play the same NWN2? The best part of the whole game was the trial in Act 3. It was so incredibly well done, so well executed and written, I couldn't believe the same group of people had me slaughtering the entire city watch and running around Orc caves for a billion years.

Then it's back to hacking things apart! But at least it was entertaining from that point on. The Dungeon with the demons (I forget now) was well done.

Basically, more of the Demon dungeon, less orc caves and definitely no warehouses.

Edited by Aegeri

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

So, I just found a cheap box that has both the original Neverwinter Nights + expansions, and Neverwinter Nights 2, so I bought it.

Since I've never played any of these before, I'd like to ask you Cantousent, if playing these is neccesary to understanding the story of Mask of the Betrayer?

(Also, since I've never played any of these before, I'd like to ask anyone if you have to play Neverwinter Nights or it's expansions to understand Neverwinter Nights 2?)

Regarding the second question: No, not at all.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Basically, more of the Demon dungeon, less orc caves and definitely no warehouses.

Definetely agree with that. While I'm not overly fond of dungeon crawls in general, if they are well done and well paced I can find them very enjoyable. Orc Caves and Warehouse was just a test of patience. It's just so mindless. Actually, I find most of Act I of NWN2 to be lacking. The game really picks up at Act II if you ask me, and while some combat areas are still kinda meh, it never gets as frustratingly boring as the Orc Caves and Warehouse (or the graveyeard, but that's optional).

(Also, since I've never played any of these before, I'd like to ask anyone if you have to play Neverwinter Nights or it's expansions to understand Neverwinter Nights 2?)

Nope, they are seperate from each other. And while I haven't played the NWN2 expansion, Obsidian is saying that it's pretty much a story that you can enjoy without having played NWN2. But I would guess that there are things that reference to the NWN2 campaign (since the expansion is a continuation of that character).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'd also point out, that the optional battle with one of the demons from that wonderfully executed demon dungeon, was really really really good. It was easily more challenging than 90% of the game combined, actually used the monsters abilities to make it difficult rather than screw with the DnD rules heavily and was very satisfying. More of that please. Definitely more of that.

*Dances*

What fight was that Aegeri?

The only thing I could wish from the demon dungeon is perhaps some more different consequences or paths as to what demons you choose to help. It's a very interesting (and I think very well written) situation for roleplaying, but unfortunately it all culminates in the same thing (I think?). Granted, I'm not really sure what consequences could be written for the situation either, so there ya go. :thumbsup:

One of the very best parts of the NWN2 campaign I think.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm with you fellas, the crawls in Act I did just that....crawl. And I'm a big fan of IWD.

Interestingly all the engine optimisations will be in the next patch for NWN2, which is so good they've given it a special name - "Premonition". See, I bet you can't wait for it if it has a special name.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewt...4&forum=109

What fight was that Aegeri?

I'll spoiler this, because I find it was actually hard to even discover you could do it:

If you have some sort of influence rating with the Warlock character (been so long, can't remember their names), you get an option to follow him to see what he is up to. He goes back to Sandras (I think that's her name, the annoying blonde chick who follows you around for a while) farm and shows he has a bit of sentimentality to him. Then Koraboras (the Pit Fiend from the demon dungeon) turns up and all hell breaks loose. It's a pretty well done fight, because the devils rapidly chain portal in other devils and it becomes a big mess. It was actually pretty challenging and unlike other fights in the game, doesn't horribly break the DnD rules to actually be challenging either.

It also gives you some random warhammer, which I can't quite remember what it does off the top of my head

*Dances*

Cant: One question, you mentioned that combat in MotB is much more difficult, is this because fights are better spaced out and generally better planned? So can I look forward to NOT having mindless dungeon crawls like the orc caves and city watch warehouse? I still cannot play NWN2 again to this day because of how literally terrible those dungeons were.

I would however love the idea of fights being significantly tougher and without the 'filler' nature that those above two areas gave me the impression of being from the original.

I skimmed the last page before I read this post, so I guess I don't have a fresh mindset. Let me say that MotB has a great deal of combat. Like Monte, I like to have a lot of combat in a game, and I find that fighting serves as a prominent feature in most PnP DnD games I've seen as well.

However, I feel you in terms of the orc caves. Personally, I combat is interesting there, but is sometimes excessive in that the plot doesn

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sorry to double post, but you don't have to play the first NWN to understand NWN2 in the least. I know a lot of folks recommend NWN + expansions, and since you have the game you might want to play them also, but it is not necessary.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'll spoiler this, because I find it was actually hard to even discover you could do it:

Right, I remember that. I also liked the bit of interaction you get with Mr Warlock, and if you pass a certain check in the dialogue, there is a nice moment for him there. :thumbsup:

Cant: One question, you mentioned that combat in MotB is much more difficult, is this because fights are better spaced out and generally better planned? So can I look forward to NOT having mindless dungeon crawls like the orc caves and city watch warehouse? I still cannot play NWN2 again to this day because of how literally terrible those dungeons were.

I would however love the idea of fights being significantly tougher and without the 'filler' nature that those above two areas gave me the impression of being from the original.

I skimmed the last page before I read this post, so I guess I don't have a fresh mindset. Let me say that MotB has a great deal of combat. Like Monte, I like to have a lot of combat in a game, and I find that fighting serves as a prominent feature in most PnP DnD games I've seen as well.

However, I feel you in terms of the orc caves. Personally, I combat is interesting there, but is sometimes excessive in that the plot doesn

Edited by Aegeri

*Dances*

Dungeon crawls can definitely be fun. Especially if they're actually towers. IWD1's Hand of Seldarin is absolutely beautiful. I think it's the sense of exploring something decrepit and the feeling of something's not right that made it so awesome. Puts the player on the edge and more aware - like awakening the senses and focused into the game.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

If your primary concern is combat difficulty, then you'll be quite happy with MotB. Not only is the story more interspersed with the battles, but the battles are much tougher. That doesn't even include the spirit eater mechanic which will make things difficult as well.

The upshot is, if you'd rather have a game that is light on combat, I cannot recommend MotB. If you want a game that has a great story with challenging battles, then MotB is the game for you.

Obsidian Plays

I'm surprised the suckers for romances have yet to asked these questions:

-How are the romance plots executed in MotB compared to NWN2?

-Romanceable characters are still limited to two? (Safiya and Galynn according to the Devs months ago)

-What about the characters you romanced in NWN2? How will it affect with this new batch of romanceable characters in terms of character development and its consistencies? Will it assume you did not romance them like how MotB assumes you killed KoS regardless of alignment?

Doofi. I actually like the news from BigBottom's post. That new optimization coming in the next patch will be quite good.

Obsidian Plays

The romances in NWN2 were kind of lame but what can you expect a game with a Teenie rating. I wish we had romance options for Neeshka, Elanee, Qara, Grobnar, Casavir, Sand, and Bishop, and on top of that have them be with either gender. :brows:

Yeah, that would be really interesting... :dancing:

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I always knew you held special interest for gnomes, but goddamn man...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

GROBNAR THE BARDINATOR!

Who can't help but love that gnome! :bat:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The romances in NWN2 were kind of lame but what can you expect a game with a Teenie rating. I wish we had romance options for Neeshka, Elanee, Qara, Grobnar, Casavir, Sand, and Bishop, and on top of that have them be with either gender.

yeah, neeshka an qara... i'll bring the movie camera if someone else can get the popcorn!

oh, you ment with the PC... i see.

taks

comrade taks... just because.