Bioshock: Here there be spoilers

Pop

But wouldn't that be called something different, like vernepunk or anachronistic scifi?

I know it is a discussion on semantics, but I enjoy this stuff.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

But wouldn't that be called something different, like vernepunk or anachronistic scifi?

Maybe, but if you're using those terms in front of an audience you'd have to break to define them instead of ramble on.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I agree with that, though I'd put steampunk in the same "needs definition"-category as them. It's not like it's well-known or anything.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I imagine it would be to the target audience of The Escapist.

Vernepunk, on the other hand, only shows up two results from google.

I have carefully read nothing of the spoilers. I went to Point Prometheus where I was about to face

F'n Fontaine

when I decided to go back and finish some open business.

Sander Cohen

the fruit, attacked me in his apartement and so I ended up with his

muse key!

hot diggity, I'd given up on accessing that area. Guess it's back to the ol' bathysphere for me. I suspect they'll throw more curves and twists before the end. I don't trust any of them, really.

I've rescued all the Little Sisters I've met. I don't regret it. The adam I have earned so far has more than sufficed to cover my needs. I've got all my plasmids pimped and all my tonics have at least half of their slots open.

I'm a picture taking fool. My favorite research upgrade is the one that lets me

autohack gun turrets.

Word to the wise, "snappy snappy."

Okay, I'll have to read this thread in full when I'm don.e

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I too think that comparisons to Fallout are a bit off, since Bioshock really isn't a retrofuture. In the late 50's I doubt they knew what stem cells were, much less grand visions of their potential. The aforementioned term "anachronistic sci-fi" is better.

Thanks for preventing a double post, pop.

Anyhow, I've finished the game and I got the "good" ending. What a surprise! Anyhow, excellent ending. The final boss was easy as hell, but who cares? I think designers spend too much effort trying to make sure the end boss is teh most awesome!!!11!!1!

In that respect, they did a great job with

Ryan

. That whole scene had real impact.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

oh, by the way...Andrew Ryan looks a hell of a lot like Walt Disney. Conspiracy!!!

bluehillsjv5.jpg

host4200te1.jpg

they both built fantasy worlds!

It was apparent to me that Andrew Ryan's look is based on Orson Welles' character from Citizen Kane.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...uation-BioShock

Yahtzee is a terribly creative guy. Aside from Zero Punctuation, he also makes freeware adventure games that have recieved some significant popularity. Most famous appear to be the 5 Days a Stranger "Defoe" or "Chzo" series, however you like to refer to it.

Also of note here: Yahtzee's gone on record with his hate for Full Throttle (in his Psychonauts review) so, obviously, Josh Sawyer must now challenge him to a duel. to. the. death.

Edited by Pop

Wow, Shadow sure missed the point on this one. The little girls weren't supposed to be scary. (Well maybe as a sort of warning sign to how ADAM and EVE had warped the society of Rapture, I guess) The real reason to use little girls was to give a strong psychological incentive for the player to forgo reward in order to save the little sisters. Would people have been as inclined to rescue toothless octogenarians drinking wine out of a bottle in a paper bag? The little sisters aren't supposed to scare us. They're meant to appeal to our better nature.

Obsidian Plays

oh, by the way...Andrew Ryan looks a hell of a lot like Walt Disney. Conspiracy!!!

bluehillsjv5.jpg

host4200te1.jpg

they both built fantasy worlds!

It was apparent to me that Andrew Ryan's look is based on Orson Welles' character from Citizen Kane.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...uation-BioShock

Yahtzee is a terribly creative guy. Aside from Zero Punctuation, he also makes freeware adventure games that have recieved some significant popularity. Most famous appear to be the 5 Days a Stranger "Defoe" or "Chzo" series, however you like to refer to it.

Also of note here: Yahtzee's gone on record with his hate for Full Throttle (in his Psychonauts review) so, obviously, Josh Sawyer must now challenge him to a duel. to. the. death.

It was apparent to me that he was based on Walt.

Oh, just bite me, fin boy. I didn't want to ruin my exploration and I pretty much stopped reading as Shadow got all nutso about the setting and the Little Sisters.

Now, I only got to the end of the second page so far, but I disagree completely in regards to the final boss ending. I thought it would be ball-room blitz, but it turned into a wedding-chapel waltz. Our last man went down like a two bit prostitute in a twelve dollar brothel. I didn't mind it at all. I'll play it again on hard and I'm sure it will be a bit harder. Probably not much, considering all the phat tonics I'll have equipped, but harder at any rate.

We are in complete agreement as regards

the encounter with Ryan

. I figured out that there would be some twist along those lines by the time I got there, and I was certain as hell that

Fontaine was still alive

, but the voice acting really carried the day for the whole thing.

Bioshock has some of the best VO work I've ever seen in a game.

BTW: Dianne McClintock

is dead on a desk in Atlas' rebel headquarters. You find her last diary entry on her body, and then Fontaine's diary confirms that he did for her.

I pretty much scoured the game, but I'm probably going to go through again just to see what I can find. I'm with Azarkon in that I don't think this game qualifies as an RPG. That's not a slam. I just figure that the term must have limits to have any meaning, and I draw the line well before Bioshock. I don't care. I'm an avid FPSer. It's not like a good FPS is inferior just because it's an FPS.

It had some great moments. In fact, the ending might be the best FPS ending I've seen. On the other hand, I don't know if has the design muscle to wrest the FPS crown.

On the ugly side, loading was far too long. I thought the XBoxesque "do not turn off the machine" was just plain goofy. Not a real complaint, but it seemed quaint. The graphics weren't all that. I guess if I play it again on a DX10 system, I might have a different view. The graphics were good, but not "OMG awesome!" Luckily, the retro, art deco look didn't require graphical awesomeness.

Anyhow, in areas where I'm repeating something someone said, take it my agreement. I don't know what happens past page two of the thread, but I'll read it all tomorrow before I start my inevitible second run.

Obsidian Plays

There was a free game update released either today or yesterday that helped with the loading times, as well as improved enemy AI in regards to the medstations (they didn't seem to be used all that much)

Some kids muddling around in the PC code also found references to omitted plasmids. DLC, mayhaps?

It was apparent to me that he was based on Walt.

It is apparent to me that you should shut your ugly face.

Ah, great news and many thanks!

I hope they changed the AI behavior so they run to those med stations more often, I hacked every single thing I could find, and made a point of hacking med stations first. Even without the patch, I killed a number of splicers with hacked med stations. hahahaha I kept wondering if one of them would do the same thing to me, but I never used one without hacking it after I found out they could be used as weapons. :Cant's shifty-eyed icon:

Obsidian Plays

In my game, enemies went for medstations all the time. However, I usually killed them before they got to them.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The enemy used them constantly in my playthrough, and I did play on Normal. I also made a point to hack or destroy(they drop medkits) all of the stations before engaging any enemy concentrations after I had a houdini teleport to a medstation in Fort Frolic. For example, the battle in the theatre hall with the three houdinis got much more simple with that. I loved that battle to death by the way, the enemies use of the balconies, the scaffolding and all the given space in general was ingenious. I died so many times.

kirottu said:

If you're willing to take a chance, you can use the medstation against

Steinman

. Just rush into the room and down the stairs to the right. Then hack the medstation. You might take a few hits on the way, but then you've got better coverage than standing toe to toe with him at the door. After that, use the weapon o' choice 'gainst his crazy ass. I'd suggest burning oil slicks, but the first time I basically did the old west move and gave him with my revolver.

Obsidian Plays

I did use the medstation against him, actually. The thing is that he didn't go for that one. He went for the one outside, which I had already hacked.

It might depend on where you are. When I gave him lead poisoning, he was in the room and I was between him and the med station outside. He ran for the one downstairs. If I'd been in the room with him, he'd probably have run outside.

Obsidian Plays

• 4 weeks later...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4508664361400518462

Watch out, it's one hour and half and it's ****ing depressing.

Heja Sverige!!

The way they listened way too much to focus groups. It completely knocked out the challenge out of the game. And the emergence. And the fun.

Heja Sverige!!

It's a solid title, but it's not a classic. I had a lot of fun. I liked the story. I enjoyed the plasmids and various weapons.

...But, after my second run, I notice that I was once again drawn to American McGee's Alice. Again. Bioshock was fun and all, but Alice has staying power.

Obsidian Plays