Comic Con

Oerwinde

Anyone else going to Comic Con this year? It will be my first visit. Going this year for Warren Ellis, but it looks like hella fun.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just got back. It was awesome and I would go back. I even got interviewed:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6463896.html

I'm Kevin Davies.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Pretty cool.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, the panels were good for the various movie stuff, but the movies they were showing were weak. Except Iron Man, which was pretty freaking wicked.

I think the highlights of the con for me were the Sarah Silverman panel, the Warren Ellis panel (nearly died laughing), and the premieres of Superman Doomsday and Dr Strange.

I'm also wondering when they showed the Mark 1 armor and the Dark Knight teaser, because the armor was in a crate for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and the teaser wasn't shown during the WB panel.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

:cries: if my funds weren't so absolutely drained (it's complicated) I'd have joined you.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I really want to go, but life (and lack of money) has gotten in the way this time around.

Calax, maybe you and me can make it down next year, roadtrip style. I've got an aunt in Jamul that I bet'd put us up, we'd probably only need monies for transportation and con entry.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I really want to go, but life (and lack of money) has gotten in the way this time around.

Calax, maybe you and me can make it down next year, roadtrip style. I've got an aunt in Jamul that I bet'd put us up, we'd probably only need monies for transportation and con entry.

hopefully by that point we'll both have jobs that pay more than minimum.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

How did the Superman bits look? Is it all Justice League style?

the designs are a tad different, but all in all its definitely bruce timm animated style.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd never heard of ComicCon until this year, but apparently there's to be a Torchwood panel, which I would have quite liked to go to, but 'tis not to be. Maybe they'll hold it in the Middle East next year?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

the designs are a tad different, but all in all its definitely bruce timm animated style.

yeah, there was a real brief teaser on the 300 DVD. Don't get me wrong, I like the animated style they've been using for the last few years, but it wouldn't hurt to change it every once in a while.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

yeah, there was a real brief teaser on the 300 DVD. Don't get me wrong, I like the animated style they've been using for the last few years, but it wouldn't hurt to change it every once in a while.

Their next one is very different. Justice League: New Frontier. The designs are all similar to the golden age versions.

Devastatorsig.jpg

dcd-newfrontierposter.jpg

Kind of like this only animated.

They'll be based on the Darwyn Cooke designs rather than the Bruce Timm designs.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

<delurks>

I attended 'Con as well. Even though we live in the area, Mr. Bela and I haven't been going regulary (we went last year (yeah, we were at the NWN2 panel! :grin: ), then about 5 years before that). I think we only attended panels for TV shows. (Hmm... is that sad? :ermm:)

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but it seemed a LOT more chaotic this year than last year. Mr. Bela and I waited in line 2 hours just to pick up our badges! :o And the lines to get into the rooms for the "big" shows seemed a lot worse, too.

Thursday was when we picked up our badges. Due to the 2 hour wait, we missed the Paramount panel (grr), so we went ahead and got in line for Lost. (Yeah, 3 hours before it started...) The Lost panel was mildly disappointing as the questions from the audience were softballs. :) The panel was only Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. (Last year was Lindelof and Cuse along with Hurley and Jin (and Rachel Blake if you think she counts).) Harold Perrineau (Michael) was a surprise guest. At the end, they showed a new orientation video. (See it here.) At first, I thought it was a joke, but now I'm not so sure.

The "Superman: Doomsday" premier was in the same room as the Lost panel, so we hung around the room for that. Mr. Bela enjoyed it more than I did (it was a little too violent for my tastes), although I did think it was good. Except for Anne Heche as Lois Lane. :yucky:

Friday, we attended the panels for the Stargate SG-1 DVD movie and Atlantis. After that, I drove to Los Angeles to a concert (ahh, it only took me 4 hours to get there...), so Mr. Bela attended the Eureka and Babylon 5 panels without me. (There's a B5 direct-to-DVD release out now, if you didn't know.)

Saturday, I went to the Simpsons panel while Mr. Bela attended a panel for either Bionic Woman or The Sarah Conner Chronicles (I don't recall which) while waiting for the Heroes panel. There was "only" 45 minutes between Simpsons and Heroes, which wasn't nearly enough time for me to actually attend the Heroes panel.

However, I did make it for the Battlestar Galactica and Futurama panels, which were in the same room. :luck: Galactica guests included Starbuck, Six, and Roslin, along with a surpise guest of Lucy Lawless. For Futurama, most of the main cast (Billy West, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche, and Katey Sagal) were there. As the panel started, the audience received a small comic explaining their comeback (the "20th Century Box" network canceled their "box delivery route", but a bunch of nerds used their "nerd powers" to bring them back...), and the voice actors read us the comic in-character. :woot:

Sunday, we went to the Flash Gordon panel. The show actually looks promising.

One of these years, I'll post my pictures.

Edited by Bela

Will Save penalty vs. Kitty: -20

GCS d(--) s--: a C+++$ US++>$ P+++$ L+(++) E--- W++ N+ w--- V- PS+ PE Y+ t+@ 5++ X R+ tv(+) b+ DI++ D+ G+ e++ h-() r+++ x?

How many nuns would a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

You had a 2 hour wait for your badges? Wow. I got in line, went up the escalator, got to the room, and they gave me my badge. Took maybe 10 minutes. This was at 10 AM thursday morning. Did you not pre-register?

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, we did pre-register. But we didn't get there (on Thursday) until about 11:30 or 11:45. At that time, the pre-registered line was wrapped all the way around the convention center towards 8th Avenue, down Convention Way, and then along the marina. :lol:

Will Save penalty vs. Kitty: -20

GCS d(--) s--: a C+++$ US++>$ P+++$ L+(++) E--- W++ N+ w--- V- PS+ PE Y+ t+@ 5++ X R+ tv(+) b+ DI++ D+ G+ e++ h-() r+++ x?

How many nuns would a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Yeah, we did pre-register. But we didn't get there (on Thursday) until about 11:30 or 11:45. At that time, the pre-registered line was wrapped all the way around the convention center towards 8th Avenue, down Convention Way, and then along the marina. :(

Wow, considering how the badge pick up worked I'm surprised the line got that long.

Devastatorsig.jpg