Guest Jy Kon Star

What do you believe?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe?

• The glass is half full
    • The glass is half empty
    • The glass is all ways full
    • There is no glass

So if I have a box, and I put a spoon in it, and I say "There is one spoon in this box", I'm wrong? I'm confused.

no. for small counts, accuracy is easy. errors are discussed in parts per billion, or even worse. count that same spoon a billion, or maybe a trillion, times. then you have to devise a method to do that in some reasonable amount of time (i.e., your lifetime). the counting mechanism then suffers from various randomly distributed errors, and some of the time, you'll recount the same spoon, or not count it at all.

if you're doing a measurement, your counting accuracy is +/- 1/2 the smallest division at best. once that division gets to the molecular/atomic level, it becomes a counting problem (take it to the quark level and it becomes worse). since the number of molecules or atoms is huge, some method must be devised to count the individual pieces. errors then creep in unavoidably.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

if you're doing a measurement, your counting accuracy is +/- 1/2 the smallest division at best.

oops... that should be "... your measurement accuracy...".

taks

comrade taks... just because.

This poll is about what you believe where these questions are concerned, not what I believe about them. So don't ask me to explain them, instead choose, then post why or don't...

The glass is half full

The glass is half empty

The glass is all ways full

There is no glass

Before I could answer any of these questions, I would have to know where the water came from, is it drinkable and are there adequate lavatory facilities available to relieve myself after drinking it.

The spoon question has nothing to do with small numbers. It's because you've restricted your measurement to integers. If you had a less abstract definition of how large/heavy/tasty a spoon had to be to qualify as a whole spoon, then error would come back in. But you've said that your spoon is near enough to one spoon to be a spoon.

Note that you are basically looking on the spoon as a valid spoon, not because of how big it is, but because it performs a certain job using certain characteristics. This is no bad thing, and why engineers are cooler than scientists.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There is no spoon.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In the glass?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Adding one vote to each of them isn't really "selecting them all", it's denying the fact that the glass is half full.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yeah, it's "Cantousent" nowadays.

kirottu said:

Zing!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Jerk. If I shove you in the glass, will it be half full or half empty? ...And it turns out we're optimists because the glass is half empty is losing by a landslide.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If you shover me in a glass, it won't half as awesome as Lou

kirottu said:

Has anybody been able to figure out what exactly it is half full of?

I mean, if it is half full and the the stuff it is half full of is "nothing", where does that leave it?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In the theatre of awesomeness that is my mind I cut the glass down to size with a samurai sword. While wearing spandex. It is then full. And highly disturbed.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.