Another RAM question

Gfted1

So, I yoinked 1G (two 512 DIMMS) of RAM from an unused PC here at work. My rig at home has 2G that looks like this:

Slot 1: 512MB

Slot 2: Open

Slot 3: 512MB

Slot 4: 1G

Now, would it be better to put one of the new 512MB DIMMS in slot two and leave it like that for a total of 2.5G or would it perform faster to put in both 512MB DIMMS and remove the 1G DIMM for a total of 2G. Obviously the second config is still only 2G but would it be a faster 2G?

Edited by Gfted1

2.5Gigs should be faster.

What type of RAM are the new DIMMs, and what type do you currently have on your computer?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Symmetric pairings of RAM usually allows for dual memory channels to be utilized, which is supposed to give a small increase in performance.

You never really need 2.5 GB of RAM anyhow (unless you're doing some serious work in Photoshop..) so I'd suggest you go with:

Slot 2: 512MB

Slot 4: 512MB

But to tell you the truth: I've never been able to detect that increase in performance using 3DMark or Super Pi.

Edit: Neat! I found a page that explains (somewhat) the different RAM configurations and what they do:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/cs-011965.htm

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

2.5Gigs should be faster.

What type of RAM are the new DIMMs, and what type do you currently have on your computer?

At home, DDR2. Not sure about the work ones but assume DDR2 as the PC its coming out of is only 2-3 years old.

Symmetric pairings of RAM usually allows for dual memory channels to be utilized, which is supposed to give a small increase in performance.

You never really need 2.5 GB of RAM anyhow (unless you're doing some serious work in Photoshop..) so I'd suggest you go with:

Slot 2: 512MB

Slot 4: 512MB

But to tell you the truth: I've never been able to detect that increase in performance using 3DMark or Super Pi.

Edit: Neat! I found a page that explains (somewhat) the different RAM configurations and what they do:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/cs-011965.htm

You sir, rock. By reading over the "Three DIMMs - Populated Symmetrically" section I see Ive got my home rig screwed up and its only functioning in single channel mode!! This will be rectified immediately!

There's a good chance your memory sticks from work are only DDR. Anyway, if they are, they won't fit in the slots.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I have an additional question.

Will RAM at different speeds put into the same motherboard affect performance? Or is that even possible?

They'll run at the lowest common speed.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have an additional question.

Will RAM at different speeds put into the same motherboard affect performance? Or is that even possible?

Yes, they'll run at the slower ram speed.

Edit: DAMNIT META... STOP KNOWING SO MUCH! You make me look bad.

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me