An user review of some of Obsidian's products

ouiouiwewe

I am surprised with all this OIE-fanboism... All I have to say is that Obsidian hasn't done an excellent job these last years. KOTOR2 was crap, NWN2 wasn't really better than NWN1.

KOTOR 2 was noticeably better than KOTOR 1. The only downside of it was the last area. NWN2 was worlds above and beyond NWN1. NWN1 was a game I considered crap until 2 expansions passed and then I only found one of those expansions to be any good.

So far, OE is showing a lot more ability than Bioware has been for a while and since they're pretty much the only two companies in the domestic "non-action non-MMO" RPG market, a lot of hope is going on OE.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

including NWN1 with it's nearly infinite development time since BG1, the boring Elderscrolls series, the lacking Gothic series etc.)
Don't forget that NWN1's a big jump from BG1 in terms of design and interface (despite the lacking in plot for OC). Back then, 3D graphics hasn't really been part of the RPG world so it is understandable that NWN has a long development time. NWN2, on the other hand, borrows much from NWN1 which is why it has a shorter development time.

Elders Scroll series isn't bad. Morrowind's one of the most excellent games I've ever played although it is easy for powergamers to become god-like. Oblivion is a bit of a disappointment, much like NWN2, but it has some very nice innovations as well.

The target audience is the 12 to 17 y.o. from nowadays, which I'm glad not to be part of. That's why there are not many games to your liking anymore.
It's not that. I can still easily lose myself in BG2, Heroes 3, MM6, and a lot of other older games. Edited by ouiouiwewe

including NWN1 with it's nearly infinite development time since BG1, the boring Elderscrolls series, the lacking Gothic series etc.)
Don't forget that NWN1's a big jump from BG1 in terms of design and interface (despite the lacking in plot for OC). Back then, 3D graphics hasn't really been part of the RPG world so it is understandable that NWN has a long development time. NWN2, on the other hand, borrows much from NWN1 which is why it has a shorter development time.

I think BG's interface is much better than NWN1's, just on account of the radial menus.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think BG's interface is much better than NWN1's, just on account of the radial menus.

BG's is better.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I am surprised with all this OIE-fanboism... All I have to say is that Obsidian hasn't done an excellent job these last years. KOTOR2 was crap, NWN2 wasn't really better than NWN1.
Nonsense, they have done a good job. K2 was a good game with lots of replay value. NWN2 was one of the best RPGs to come out since Bloodlines. Obs has done just fine.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Nonsense, they have done a good job. K2 was a good game with lots of replay value. NWN2 was one of the best RPGs to come out since Bloodlines. Obs has done just fine.

Back when Malachor V was the last and lingering impression of their games I would have disagreed. Fortunately NWN2 came along and made me forget the previous last impression, so now I probably agree (can't think of anything better since VMBL) :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

BG's is better.

BG's interface is "better" because there're much less functions available and thus more simple.

NWN's interface absolutely crushes' BG's. And, one of the best reasons is the radial menu.

LONG NWN! BEST GAME EVAR!

BG IS DEAD!

Anyways, Obsidian's two sequels have been fun in their own right; but they failed my expectations. I expect sequels to be 100% no doubt better than what the follow... both failed to do that.

Fun games thoughh, and that's what matters. Not every game has to be the 'best ever'.

Only NWN gets that award. :lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I thought I'd weigh in my own truly objective statement based on results of rigorous research for the past years and hence being The Ultimate Truth About NWN1 Interface:

NWN1's interface is better, but radial menu sucked. I'm glad it has died a horrible death.

:lol:

R00fles!

PoR2 is better than NWN.

That is so untrue!!! LIAR! :lol:

PoR2 was unplayable while NWN was quite enjoyable...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I wouldn't say POoR2 is better than NWN1. In fact it is quite inferior but BG1 and 2 are both better than NWN1, as is NWN2. However none of those games are the best ever. That title belongs to Fallout 1.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I played the demo and that was enough.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

• 2 weeks later...

I liked KOTOR 2 very much, but they really should have finished the damn game. At least the ending (Restoration project will fix this thankfully). So to those saying K2 was crap, i'm saying "Your oppinion". =]

And yeah, i like NWN2 aswell, although i wish companios would have more to say.

Edited by SpaceAlex

• 2 weeks later...

KOTOR2 was great to play for the first 1/2 of the game - then many of the "missiig bits" in the storyline and NPC interaction became obvious. Unfortunately, the trend got worse and the absolutely apalling ending (full of rushed and unexplained events) completely ruined what had the potential to be a very good game. KOTOR1 has better re-play value, and was at least a "finisehd" product. For the first half of KOTOR2, I'd give it a 4/5, but gradually moving to a 1/5 at the end.

I had better hopes for NWN2 - but again, though I enjoyed playing the game, the ending sequence (with the apalling voiceover) was AGAIN substandard. Just compare the opening sequence (v.nice animation) to the ending (bad voiceover slideshow) - how could anyone think a Ray Romano sound-alike could provide a good ending narrator??? It may only be a small part of the overall game, but the end should leave a "good" impression. The inability for the game to work out what NPC dialogue options should be dropped was also annoying - you get to ask the same dumb discussion tree from the start to the end.. NWN2 could have been so much better. Graphics were nice, but no where near as nice as TES4 Oblivion. I'd rate it a 3.5-4/5 for most of the game, but only a 2/5 for the end.

Seems to be a trend that Oblivion can't "finish" a game properly. Hopefully future titles will rectify this trend...

Seems to be a trend that Oblivion can't "finish" a game properly. Hopefully future titles will rectify this trend...

Obsidian :dragon:

Quite right. Thanks Karka - Obsidian it is! Obviously, I'm having trouble finishing a post!