Favorite Ongoing TV Shows

roshan

Ii enjoyed the first season of the Wire, and then got hafway through the second before I quit watching. It took me forever to get that far - I normally would become sleepy or get headaches after getting halfway through an episode. It just progresses too slowly. It is decent show, but probably better watched once a week on TV than all in one sitting.

That's odd. Popular opinion is that The Wire really wants to be watched in as few sittings as possible (although I think one could be stretching it). The season really plays out like a long movie instead of episodic as most TV shows do (even when they do have an overarching plot). Normally I'm not a fan of slow pacing, but with The Wire it just works. There is no show with better acting or writing, of that I'm certain.

Words can't express how much I love this show. It's a bit saddening that the next season will be the last, but on the other hand I'm glad that a show like this got to run it's entire arch in spite of not bringing in the viewers (but the critical acclaim).

Season 6 of 24 looks like its going to be good - theres no way it could be anywhere near as crappy as the previous one. The first two seasons of the series are still by far the best the show has produced.

Wow. Again, you're definitely going against the grain. I think season 5 was the strongest season of 24 ever. Well, that and the first. The second doesn't even come close (although it was better than the third). And I know I'm not alone. But to each their own, I just can't wait for the next season to start. I'm getting giddy thinking about it.

The rest of your post I basically agree with (although I think VM is better than you do obviously).

In no particular order:

Weeds

Death Note

Black Lagoon

Desperate Housewives

House

My Name is Earl

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

From off the top of my head:

House

Boston Legal

CSI: Vegas (I hate NY and Miami.)

Colbert Report and Daily Show when I bother to stay up until the 1:30am repeats.

Battlestar Galactica (When I remember it's on.)

Mythbusters

Corner Gas

The Class

Stargate SG-1 (except post RDA episodes. IMO it went downhill without him.)

What if I don't live in the great States?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Wow. Again, you're definitely going against the grain. I think season 5 was the strongest season of 24 ever. Well, that and the first. The second doesn't even come close (although it was better than the third). And I know I'm not alone. But to each their own, I just can't wait for the next season to start. I'm getting giddy thinking about it.

I liked seasons 1, 2 and 4 of 24. The third wasnt good, and the 5th was simply crap. There was hardly any overarching story, no villain, just Bauer going after a different bad guy every episode - often there wasnt even any explanation of what that person had to do with the story. I know lots of people disappointed with the 5th season.

The rest of your post I basically agree with (although I think VM is better than you do obviously).

I like the show a lot, but the third season just doesnt seem to be as good as the first one.

Edited by roshan

30 Rock.

Same source material as Studio 60 except that its more of a sitcom and half an hour.. and it has few SNL alumni such as Tina Fey, Tracey Morgan and Rachel Dratch.

This isn't necessarily my favourite show but I believe its worth a mention and a view.

EDIT: Is Australian TV just soap opera?

The Australian made TV just appears that way, I doubt it's any worse than any other country.

Doctor who.

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

I liked seasons 1, 2 and 4 of 24. The third wasnt good, and the 5th was simply crap. There was hardly any overarching story, no villain, just Bauer going after a different bad guy every episode - often there wasnt even any explanation of what that person had to do with the story. I know lots of people disappointed with the 5th season.

We must have watched completely different shows. It's true that the person he was after changed a lot, but I never had any problems making the connections. I always felt it made perfect sense. But hopefully we'll both enjoy season six.

>_<

I like the show a lot, but the third season just doesnt seem to be as good as the first one.

Well, no. The best episodes are close to season one quality, but it's a tad uneven I have to admit that. But so far I think the current season has been better than season 2 (which was even more uneven). I still think it's better than most shows out there though.

Edited by Spider

NFL

Any College Sport

MLB (Especially the Marlins)

NHL (Especially the Panthers)

You would think my house is a sports bar. All I do is drink beer and watch sports when I'm not working, playing with my dogs, or using the computer.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Doctor Who

Torchwood

Battlestar Galactica

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What if I don't live in the great States?

They don't have DVR's outside the States?

Apart from (media) PCs, there is only the Fox Sky+ box.

NTl/Telewest also have a PVR.

All the series I watch also come at fairly spread-out times, so I really don't need to record them.

kirottu said:

I don't watch much TV that's actually on TV, if you know what I mean.

Now that I've made it through the entire Buffy series on DVD (completely missed it while it was on TV), I'm mostly watching Family Guy and South Park on DVD.

I watch college and pro football on the weekends and catch SportsCenter in the morning to see how my fantasy b-ballers are doing. Oddly enough, I don't care much for pro basketball; I just like the managerial aspect of running a fantasy team.

If I get a chance I watch great outdoorsy-type shows on Animal Planet or Discovery Channel. Survivor is my only reality show vice; I watched the first few seasons, fell off the bandwagon, and started watching again this last year.

My wife tapes All My Children every day, and watches it on the treadmill after she gets home from work. She was trying to explain some of the convoluted plotlines to me, and I have to admit it is pretty ridiculous. Writing for a soap must be one of the greatest jobs in the world.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

While it is no doubt true that soaps do have their share of absolutely ridiculous over the top storys like devil possession, aliens, people coming back from dead repeatedly, and so on... It should also be pointed out that they also have more serious, more dramatic, and more 'real' storylines like drunk driving, aids (or other illnesses/hopsital focused stuff like heart transplants), adoptions, and the like. These bring the more dramatic side of the shows out. And, are the parts, I usually prefer.

Plus, mobs stuff that is way better than the joke show known as Sopranos.

GH did mobster before the Sopranos, and it did/does it better (mostly).

Game over, SOPRANOS, game over.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'll just post all the ones currently on that I watch

Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Rome, Heroes, Smallville.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg