Wisdom Teeth

Kroney

A couple of years ago, one of my wisdom teeth got infected. It had come in sideways and impacted. It was very painful. After a course of antibiotics it cleared up. The next year, almost to the day, it got infected again. More pain, more antibiotics.

I have finally got the bugger removed today after eighteen months on the waiting list. God bless the NHS.

Edit: To make this thread worth having, share your hospital horror stories! I'm not giving out a prize, though, because Aram would blatantly win it and there's no fun in a foregone conclusion.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I just had all of my wisdom teeth taken out on the 26th.  I am still in pain.

The anaesthetic (local) hasn't worn off yet. Although it is starting to.

They offered me a time before Christmas, but I'll be buggered if I'm trying to suck up turkey through a straw.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

A few years back I had a procedure done on my nose to remove some excess tissue located inside the nose canal. It was continuously causing blockage and getting infected so I finally had it removed.

The morning of the operation they put me in a chair covered my face with some green medical cloth and got to work. The most painful part was the local anesthesia, which was basically the doctor sticking a needle up my nose and into the surrounding area. It hurt. A lot.

Then came the unnerving part. I couldn't see what was going on but it felt like the doctor was taking a hammer and chisel and chipping away at something in my nose. *Slam* *Slam*. I immediately felt some wetness dripping down my nose which the operation staff quickly wiped off. However they couldn't stop the blood dripping into my mouth from the inside of my nose, so I was drinking my own blood so to speak during the operation. It wasn't a lot though.

Then the hammering stopped, and I felt my head being pulled back and forth ever so slightly as the doctor proceeded to tear chucks of flesh out of my nose. Or that is what it felt like. I distinctly heard the sound of flesh being cut and teared away piece by piece. One piece unfortunately decided to catch a ride in the flow of blood flowing into my mouth and before I knew what was happening I had swallowed a piece of my own flesh.

I sat there contemplating if that made me an official cannibal and the doctor finished the procedure by stuffing large pieces of gauze up my nose. I felt a little dizzy and woozy and slept for the rest of the day.

The next day I went back to the office to have the gauze removed. I was surprised how much stuff was in there. The gauze, now covered in blood, mucus and certain other disgusting yet morbidly fascinating things I didn't know my body could produce, was pulled out. There must have been a good 4 or 5 inches of gauze out of each nostril. Let me tell you after months of suffering through infection and inflammation and only breathing through my mouth, that feeling of cool air flowing freely into my nose was euphoric.

I thought I was good to go but the doctor wasn't done. He took some long tweezers and carefully inserted it into my nose. I felt the tweezers brush up against something. The tweezers then gripped this thing tightly and started to pull. It felt like the doctor was pulling out my brain. I could feel this large mass slowly making its way towards my open nostril. What came out was the booger from hell. It was about 2 inches long, slimey, a sickly green and smelled like rotting meat. I was fascinated and couldn't take my eyes off it. The doctor then pulled out a similar one from my other nostril. It was like a family of slugs had taken residence up in my nose.

This continued for about a week. Everyday produced something new. The inside of my nose eventually healed up and one day I felt this ticklish sensation deep inside. I gently blew my nose into some tissues and this enormous green and brown scab came out. I proudly showed it to my mother who promptly screamed and threw it away.

My nose has been clean and clear ever since. :)

Sheesh, all you wisdom teeth whiners need to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game. :)

All of my surgeries have been performed while I was in the military. I had my two bottom wisdom teeth out and it was smooth sailing. Also had my right knee operated on twice. They never did get that one right and Im considered 20% disabled. Gets me a nice little mad money check every month.

I had three wisdom teeth removed at the same time. My head looked like a pear for a whole week.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

first, 18 month "waiting list" to have your wisdom teeth removed? sheesh.

second, i had mine removed about 20 years ago. they gave me darvocet, another brand name for percoset i believe, and i took it that afternoon once the novacaine wore off. the morphine made me jittery and uncomfortable, so i never took it again. i was fine the next day with a slight ache that lasted about 2 days. i'm surprised you're still hurting, JE.

the hard part, btw, was smoking... for about 2 or 3 weeks i felt like i was pulling my gums out every time i took a drag. of course, it took about 2 years for the holes to completely fill in (with skin, not gunk).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I don't exactly know if this is gross, but it sure is painful.

I've maganed to fracture the bones of my right foot three times. And each time it has been the same place. Now, everytime I take a long shower, the foot gets damp after slalom or I do something relatively draining to it, like go running for a long period of time, there'll be a sharp pain in the foot that leaves me momentarily gasping for air.

I expect that the fractures never healed correctly. The right foot is slightly bigger girthwise than the left.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Be amazed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisdom_teeth

Two of my wisdom teeth were horizontally impacted. They were both bony

impactions, which meant that bits of jawbone had also to be removed.

The third one was the easiest and was a mesioangular soft tissue impaction.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I guess this is where I say that I never had Wisdom teeth (they are simply not there) so I'll never have to experiance the horrors you've been through..

muhahahahahah!!! (I love my body) :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Isn't percoset an antidepressant?

nope... it is oxycodone + acetaminophen. oxycodone is, essentially, morphine and acetaminophen is the active ingredient in tylenol. darvocet is technically a weaker version using something akin to codeine. codeine is what i have a reaction to.

taks

my teeth really didn't have a problem other than the fact that my jaw was too small to hold them. the bone ends almost immediately after my back molars now, even with the wisdom teeth gone. they were coming in under the back molars, pushing them out. it hurt, but was more of an uncomfortable feeling and chewing was difficult because i couldn't get my jaw completely down.

taks

I guess this is where I say that I never had Wisdom teeth (they are simply not there) so I'll never have to experiance the horrors you've been through..

I had the opposite good fortune-- I've got 4 wisdom teeth, and they fit perfectly.* When I open up for a hygenist or dentist, they often comment that I sure have a lot of teeth.

My medical history is similarly fortunate. The worst I can complain about is a minor procedure I underwent when I was about 12 to remove some soft-tissue splinters (arrow fletching) from my left index finger. (I was target shooting with a kiddie-size fiberglass bow and some rather ragged wooden arrows.)

* Note: Despite their name, I have noticed no correlation between the presence of wisdom teeth and actual wisdom.

My medical history is similarly fortunate.  The worst I can complain about is a minor procedure I underwent when I was about 12 to remove some soft-tissue splinters (arrow fletching) from my left index finger.  (I was target shooting with a kiddie-size fiberglass bow and some rather ragged wooden arrows.)

I haven't even had anything like that. My medical file is two pages long and both of them are totally empty. My doctor keeps telling me to go out and break something.

I have no fillings. At all. (I had one, on a baby tooth, for a couple of months before the tooth fell out, naturally.)

I have had my wisdom teeth out. As the jaw hardens with age, and specifically after the twenties, I had them out before they were a problem (it was evident on the X-ray that the top two were going to be impacted), and I had them all out (even though the bottom two had a good prognosis; no need to have extra teeth, especially as I have all my originals intact!). I had them out as an in-patient, because I'd heard far too many horror stories about people having their mouth split open as the dentist tried to gain purchase. (My brother woke up with a sore chest: the dentist had put his knee into his chest to help extract the teeth.)

The operation was in the morning, I had loads of Pethidine and a jump-start of Nitrous-Oxide for the procedure, then I had loads of other opiates (that were difficult to come off over the next few days), I was discharged in the afternoon and then went out. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

they put me out with sodium brevital (similar to pentathol i assume). "count backwards from 100" the nurse said... "100, 99, 98, 97, why is the room spinning? 96, 9.." i replied. i woke up in recovery and attempted to charm said nurse while still in a drug induced stupor. needless to say, she rebuffed my efforts and made a few comments, with a smile, that i do not remember to this day. when i finally "came to," my mother was sitting there chuckling. i do not know what they asked me, and mom's not talking.

taks

I have never had a cavity either meta! This is inspite some rather suspect brushing habits as well. Go figure.

As for my wisdom teeth, the top 2 were fine. Just pull them out. The bottom two were fully impacted, and required chisling into the jaw. The bottom right one had a Dry Socket which was excruciatingly painful.

The doctor had to put a some film in it to cover it up to dull the pain (prevents that annoying substance known as air from touching the exposed nerve). The process was so painful I apparently passed out. I'd rather be kicked in the testicles than go through that again.

I have no doubt that you'll all be glad to know that both the anaesthetic and the speculative painkillers I took have now worn off and I am not really in any pain.

This is the first surgery I have ever had. Never had stitches before, even. Before this the worst I'd had was a tetanus injection.

By far the worst part of the whole procedure was the anaesthetic injection. I have a needle phobia. It went *right* into my gum. It was awful.

Dirty deeds done cheap.