Everybody wants to make games!

Slowtrain

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=2694457

Schilling has turned to Spawn comic book creator Todd McFarlane, who will serve as artistic director of the game, and fantasy author R.A. Salvatore, who will craft the story

Its a longish article but there's a lot of info about the state of the game industry in there as well.

I think its pretty cool that Schilling wants to make games instead of open a barbecue joint.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Diversification, they key to financial longevity. At first I though it was a bit odd for a sports personality to go into video games.. but I guess its not too out of the ordinary. A couple of doctors started Bioware, right?

His focus on MMOs belies a primarily pecuniary interest in the games industry so maybe its not so great for the games industry in terms of making "good games".

You need to come to Ames, Iowa. Battles Barbecue and Grill is the best barbecue restaurant I have ever been to.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You need to come to Ames, Iowa.  Battles Barbecue and Grill is the best barbecue restaurant I have ever been to.

What part of Iowa is Ames in? I have family in Wellsburg, State Center, and Marshalltown.

What's sad is that I live in South Georgia (about an hour from Savannah), in Statesboro (home of Georgia Southern University, my employer) and we only have three BBQ joints in town. The first is Sonny's, which is a chain, the second is kind of trashy, and the third is only open on weekends (but has great sandwiches).

(Although he probably has a leg-up in getting the funding together.)

When your name is somewhat famous and you've been making millions of dollars a year for the last 20 years, you've got a good head start on most of the competion. :aiee:

I've got 30 dollars and some pocket lint. I just need a garage and I'm good to go!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I wrote a game in high school, on a VIC-20 computer, and it was fun to play but really hard; I never beat it. That was my first experience with game balance. :-

I wouldn't mind writing another game someday but it won't be the technical workhorse most of today's games are, solely due to my limited resources and lack of omniscience. Toolsets are fun and all, but I'm still stuck with someone else's engine. I want to experience the joy (and headaches!) of writing my own.

What part of Iowa is Ames in?  I have family in Wellsburg, State Center, and Marshalltown.

What's sad is that I live in South Georgia (about an hour from Savannah), in Statesboro (home of Georgia Southern University, my employer) and we only have three BBQ joints in town.  The first is Sonny's, which is a chain, the second is kind of trashy, and the third is only open on weekends (but has great sandwiches).

Of those towns Marshalltown is the closest. Get on Highway 30 and head directly west, past Nevada. Battles is in Campustown on Welch Avenue south from campus. Its about 35 miles west of Marshalltown, give or take 5 miles.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Salvatore writing a story for MMO? Sounds strangely proper.

And since when did MMO's have stories? :lol:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Salvatore writing a story for MMO? Sounds strangely proper.

And since when did MMO's have stories? :bat:

Since Age of Conan

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)