NWN2: The (New) 1 Up Review

Riftworm

The black box should only show up when you press enter. Press it again to make it go away. Or type ##showfps to see your fps.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I wouldn't.  Neverwinter Nights 2 is easily the best PC CRPG released this year.  The story is far superior to any PC CRPG released.  Unlike other PC CRPGs or games that tout being a CRPG NWN2 is an actual CRPG with substance.  Oblivion has style but nothing of substance because it is too consolized.  Make a PC Game or a Console game.  Not both. 

Only in some twisted little mind does console=bad story.

Also I don't get how people are getting performance issues out of this game.  I got an average system and with everything set on Medium I am getting 30 to 45 frames per second.  I think that people with "high end" systems are either lying or had expectations way too high.

Oh, I agree that they

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

If its on the Internet and there is no way for me to verify then it safe to assume it is a lie.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So using that logic, it's safe to assume that you're lying when you say you're not having any problems with the game's performance?

Yes. You have no way to verify if I am telling the truth or not therefore whatever I say you should be suspect, and vice versa.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Sorry. Hades doesn

i've noticed that a lot of people that are having problems with the graphics are a) running on an LCD and b) in 16:9, i.e. widescreen mode (both at the same time, i mean). perhaps there is an issue with widescreen support? mine runs rather well in spite of having a somewhat low-end card, but i'm only at 1024x768 on a CRT.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

That could be a possibility. I have played the game on a 17" CRT and a 20" LCD using both a X1900 GT Radeon and a GeForce 7600GS and had no problems. Obviously the X1900 looked better.

anecdotal evidence abounds for sure. i'm in the same boat as you, sand, in that i do not have a very high end system but it runs rather well with mostly medium settings.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I'm running the game at 1600x1200 with everything bumped as far as I know. Viewing distance, shadows, etc. I guess I'll check again when I go home, but there's a photo around here of me standing next to my stack of goodies, so you know my system specs. Also, more or less established personalities should have some level of trust.

My default is to believe members unless they've proved themselves to be unreliable in their statements. That's why it's important to preserve and protect your reputation for honesty on a message board. In a place where you exist only by your words, it's best to make sure folks trust them.

So, the game has not crashed or exhibited any significant problem. I have seen two minor problems, however. First of all, the mouse jumps around during the game. I don't like that. Might be the mouse though. I really don't do anything other than play NWN2 on my desktop these days. The other thing is that the initial load screen takes longer than I like. Of course, I prefer instant gratification.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

At some point I would like to see the game play at max settings on everything, though I am definitely sure I will need a much better system for that. Maybe a Crossfire setup using X1950s.

Ok. I think the review is not the best ever. It seems they rushed it out which is why it's only a page. I would rate the game an 8; because while I am enjoying it there's a lot of things wrong with it. :brows:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This is the first honest review of the game. The fact is that the games performance is terrible. If I switch from the maximum to the minimum settings, I get only about 30% better increase in performance.

Loading times are simply ridiculous. A simple visit to Nasher can take me up to half an hour and I spend more time at the loading screen than playing the game. This is perhaps the only reason other than these forums for why I havent beaten the game yet.

Big battles are unplayable. The screen freezes, but the text box that says what is going on keeps updating. Towards the end of the battle when most enemies have been killed off by my NPCs, I can start playing again. Its almost like having results automatically generated.

I think that even a 6 is definitely overrating the game.

This is the first honest review of the game. The fact is that the games performance is terrible. If I switch from the maximum to the minimum settings, I get only about 30% better increase in performance.

Loading times are simply ridiculous. A simple visit to Nasher can take me up to half an hour and I spend more time at the loading screen than playing the game. This is perhaps the only reason other than these forums for why I havent beaten the game yet.

Big battles are unplayable. The screen freezes, but the text box that says what is going on keeps updating. Towards the end of the battle when most enemies have been killed off by my NPCs, I can start playing again. Its almost like having results automatically generated.

I think that even a 6 is definitely overrating the game.

My girlfriend just started playing it on her computer. It has the following specs: Amd 64 3000+, 1 GB RAM and a Geforce 7600GS 512mb RAM. She played it on with the following settings: 1024x768 resolution, textures set to high, max viewing distance, 512 shadows per scene and water reflection set to off, and get this, the performance was good. No crashes, 30+ fps most of the time and loading times were no more than 20 seconds.

Something is seriously wrong with your computer, or NWN2 decided to hate you from the start.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Something is seriously wrong with your computer, or NWN2 decided to hate you from the start."

You make it sound like he's the only one that has problems with running NWN2. Check out www.bioware.nwn2.selfhelpforum.com for evidence that that's balony.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Something is seriously wrong with your computer, or NWN2 decided to hate you from the start."

You make it sound like he's the only one that has problems with running NWN2. Check out www.bioware.nwn2.selfhelpforum.com for evidence that that's balony.

"...or NWN decided to hate you from the start", meaning that his current setup and NWN2 aren't compatible. I didn't mean that there was a of code in NWN2 that said:

if (computer.id == GetId.ToString(Roshan))

{

initialize.RandomError = true;

UnexplainedCrash();

}

else

{

initialize.RunningPerfectly = true;

}

Every game has a lot of errors, i couldn't even run the original KotOR until patch 1.03 because of the memory-leaks.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy