NWN2: Forumite Impressions

Llyranor

I had problems with the autopatcher too but it worked after I uninstalled the prerelease toolset, reinstallled NWN2 and tried a third time

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I got fed up with local stores not having non-preorder copies (I checked five of them), so I ordered it from Amazon. It should be here Wednesday. Whoever does the ordering for Best Buy & EB/Gamestop in Northern VA should be fired.

Well, I got my copy in the post on Friday. Happy enough so far. The graphics/performance aren't the best, but thus far it hasn't proved a huge deal. The game clearly isn't perfect, but I'm having fun. :thumbsup:

Oh and because I am lame, I got the CE. Like most other CEs, it sucks, except for the box - for some reason I really like the box. The "art book" is pretty poorly presented really, which is a shame. The ring is, of course, all kinds of awesome - if only I had an outfit to do it justice... :lol: Seriously, I don't know what it is that compels me to purchase Collector's Editions... <_<

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

LOL That's right Taks. everyone who is having problems with the game it's because they don't 'take care of their system'. LOL

did i say that? all i said was that i know how to take care my system. nowhere did i say "everyone" else does not. if you're going to find issue with my statement, at least you could do is make sure i made them. now who's the troll?

for the record, many do not. many buy the uberest equipment and check every setting then they DL rivatuner (or similar) and kick up all the options on the vid card, including memory and DAC frequency. they OC their CPU as well. this gives you great benchmark performance, but hurts the system in the end. the most i've ever done is turn on the pipes that were disabled.

And, no, the camera is not 'nearly identicial'. It's bad.

ok, have some cheddar. it is nearly identical from a user perspective. the only difference is that you use the mouse to change elevation instead of page up/page down.

Should point out, I'm getting used to it. That doesn't mean it's good. Too often the camera decides to move the view so I'm looking at a wall instead of my characters. LOL

which happens in NWN1 as well. no difference. in fact, fading with this camera works better.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

My impression of this game may be a whole lot better if I could get higher than 15 FPS when I'm outdoors. This on a PC where I can get 40+ FPS outdoors on Oblivion. My specs more than meet the requirements -- Intel C2D 6400, 2GB RAM, 7900 GT 512mb, X-Fi sound card, 74gb Raptor HD. Apparently I'm not the only one having this problem.

disable v-sync. i think the default with most drivers is application controlled, which is bad for this game. it will easily double your FPS.

another is to turn off shadows. i'm now running medium everything with low shadows at 1024x768 hitting 45-60 FPS on the 6800 vanilla (extra pipes turned on).

taks

Well... seems I need a "critical rebuild" file that doesn't currently exist.

And so my experiences with Neverwinter Nights 2 comes to an end.  :thumbsup:

Ya, me too. Can't patch up. Need crit rebuild.

I can't play the un-patched version either. I get a 0xc0000034 error message.

I'll wait 2 months, and come back later to forum to see if game is fixed. I don't wanna push my luck, and get any "curse of Pools of Radiance 2" thing.

Gatta get ready for the WOW expansion anyways. March I think.

you need to first check to see if you have enough space on the HDD. really, it takes 7 GB JUST FOR THE PATCH! i'd put in an extra few if possible. the problem is that a file that needs to be unzipped does not have space for unzipping. it cannot open it, and craters.

taks

Edited by taks

My impression of this game may be a whole lot better if I could get higher than 15 FPS when I'm outdoors. This on a PC where I can get 40+ FPS outdoors on Oblivion. My specs more than meet the requirements -- Intel C2D 6400, 2GB RAM, 7900 GT 512mb, X-Fi sound card, 74gb Raptor HD. Apparently I'm not the only one having this problem.

disable v-sync. i think the default with most drivers is application controlled, which is bad for this game. it will easily double your FPS.

another is to turn off shadows. i'm now running medium everything with low shadows at 1024x768 hitting 45-60 FPS on the 6800 vanilla (extra pipes turned on).

taks

V-sync is off - I have that manually turned off in the nvidia control panel. I tried running with shadows off and it gave me a +5 to FPS(went from 20 to around 25). I also have the latest nvidia drivers(93.71). The only way the game runs good is if I turn off AA/AF, turn off all lighting effects, set my resolution to 1280x960, which doesn't look good on a ws 20" lcd) and then I get 40-50 outdoors but the game looks horrible.

oooohhh... you have an LCD. sorry. yeah, that could be a killer. LCDs need to run in their native which is probably 1600x1200? that would be murder on most vid cards.

this would be the one "catch" i failed to mention above. the high resolution requirements of most LCDs makes gaming difficult sometimes, even with uber video cards. i have a 21" samsung at work (well, one here, too, the 213T) and it looks horrible with everything, even winders, on anything less than 1600x1200. unfortunately, i don't have a vid card strong enough to power that resolution at 75 Hz refresh, 32-bit color and any nifty options. so it sits unused.

25 is playable, though it'll probably drop signficantly during battles.

taks

oooohhh... you have an LCD.  sorry.  yeah, that could be a killer.  LCDs need to run in their native which is probably 1600x1200?  that would be murder on most vid cards.

taks

Well, I get 70-90 FPS playing WoW @ 1680x1050 w/ settings maxed. I get 100/40+ FPS Indoors/Outdoors while playing Oblivion @ 1680x1050 w/ settings maxed. So, I don't see how this could be a problem with my LCD monitor.

vol is nutty. most peoples simply dismiss anything vol says as nonsense. this is unfortunate 'cause guys like vol and vis and krazy and others all has their moments when they makes a useful observation... gotta sift wheat from chaff.

that being said, Gromnir not been at nwn/bio boards too much, so we not got an idea of how things is going over in that place., however, Gromnir did predict a kinda initial meltdown after release. the regular nwn2 posters is a relatively obnoxious group (nothing wrong with that,) who seems to pretend that only the opinions of hardcore modders count (which is a terrible notion.) regular nwnw2 posters not think anybody but themselves count. *chuckle* we slapped 'em around a couple of times, but it didn't really take.

you takes a ridiculously homogenized and snobbish group and then open floodagtes one 'em and you can expect... fun.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

...much the same thing happened when NWN was initially released as be happenin' now; biggest difference now at BIOweenia HQ be that the Boards has alot more members, hence why it looks worse...jus' more rabid fanboys an' rabid Standard Bearers, neither willin' ta give ground, same as always...an' as wit' NWN (an' pretty much any other game that's been released since PC gamin' took 'er first baby steps), things'll calm down an' most o' the trolls'll go back ta theys caves fer hibernation 'til the next "big" release... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Yup, in the end, it's all good fun. No bones broken, hopefully no tears shed either.

>_<

Those who like the game will play it. Thsoe who don't will move on.

No biggies.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

...hehehe...now some putz poster o'er at BIOweenia HQ wants ta sue Obsidz...aaahhh, how I's missed this fun... >_<

...break out yer checkbook, Josh; yer gonna be sued by a 12 year ol' disgruntled ADHD case...bring lots o' sugar cubes ta the courthouse an' I's willin' ta bet he drops the case... >_<

bugs in the game:

bards and sorcerers aren't able to change their spells later, as they should

most of the time the familiars don't give the bonuses they should

drain level doesn't work on chars (not sure about monsters)

no bug but needs to be addressed:

missing/bad animations (mostly fight stances and attacks)

ect. will think of making a 10 side list or so :ph34r:

IB1OsQq.png

Pros

Great visuals. The customization options are quite good, and I really like the fact all faces aren't designed as japanese comic heroes or vogue models. The options are not abundant though, and may wear thin pretty quickly as the multiplayer gaming gets rolling.

It seems to stick by the D&D rules a lot better than NWN1.

The toolset makes for great gameworlds.

It's all fresh and new! >_<

Cons

Pretty steep system reqs.

While I generally like the interface, the biggest problems for me is that you can't really put anything useful in all those quickslots- you don't need to put spells there, since you have the quickspell menu, you can't assign emotes or macros to it anymore (which is horrible from a MP point of view) and in many MP games you won't need a 50+ slots for items. The "mode" window is great, but you can't customize it. One of my characters is stuck with parry (never use), stealth (never use) and detect (never use either), which i.e. means the whole window is a waste of space for him.

The clunky way to control companions and lack of quick, key controlled voice commands. I guess the "everything within two clicks" was a great thought, but it often turns out a heck of a lot slover than it used to most of the time.

That said, I love it (although I guess they could have gotten away with anything because hey, it's Neverwinter Nights 2!

they OC their CPU as well.  this gives you great benchmark performance, but hurts the system in the end.

Uhm, what?

I'm running my Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz stock) constantly at 3.0GHz without any problems/crashes/instability issues. It idles around 33 degrees Celsius (~31 degrees Celsius stock) and reaches 50 degrees under pressure (45 degrees stock). 50 degrees Celsius does not in any way hurt your CPU or shorten its lifespan. Also, I am running this setup with the original Intel cooler. As soon as I get a new cooler (Scythe Ninja Plus) I'm going for 3.4GHz or 3.6GHz, since I've tried it for short bursts and both the CPU and memory sticks (Corsair XMS) are good for it, but the temperature went above what I find acceptable.

Now, try to convince me that this somehow hurts my system "in the end".

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I get 70-90 FPS playing WoW @ 1680x1050 w/ settings maxed. I get 100/40+ FPS Indoors/Outdoors while playing Oblivion @ 1680x1050 w/ settings maxed. So, I don't see how this could be a problem with my LCD monitor.

a) those are different games. comparing one game to another is naive and/or short sighted. WoW ain't an rpg, and oblivion has much different style graphics (actually, so does WoW for that matter).

b) i didn't say the LCD was the problem per se. i said the fact that you have to run in native (resolution) mode in order for it to look good is the problem with an LCD. i.e. LCDs generally look crappy in any situation if you do not run them in native resolution mode (that means native refresh, too, and most are only 60 Hz...) perhaps 1680x1050 is native for this particular LCD? this seems like an odd ratio... certainly not "correct" as 4:3 would be 1260, not 1050 (hence 1600x1200). 1280x960 is the correct aspect ratio, but even my samsung looks like crap with that since its native is 1600x1200.

taks

they OC their CPU as well.  this gives you great benchmark performance, but hurts the system in the end.

Uhm, what?

I'm running my Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz stock) constantly at 3.0GHz without any problems/crashes/instability issues. It idles around 33 degrees Celsius (~31 degrees Celsius stock) and reaches 50 degrees under pressure (45 degrees stock). 50 degrees Celsius does not in any way hurt your CPU or shorten its lifespan. Also, I am running this setup with the original Intel cooler. As soon as I get a new cooler (Scythe Ninja Plus) I'm going for 3.4GHz or 3.6GHz, since I've tried it for short bursts and both the CPU and memory sticks (Corsair XMS) are good for it, but the temperature went above what I find acceptable.

...it ain't necessarily the temps that shorten a CPU's lifespan through OCin'...yer stressin' the CPU above an' beyond what it ws designed fer (although, with the Conroe, it was designed fer a bit o' OCin', so it shouldna make much dofference in the end)...peoples tend ta fergit or overlook it, but I's'd be more worried 'bout me mobo than 'bout that Conroe if'n yer seriously lookin' at takin' her ta a 1+GHz OC...ya gots ta remember that, e'en if'n the piece o' hardware was designed to accept a bit o' OCin', it still adds added stress and temps ta it, an', whether it makes any real difference in how long she lasts, it will shorten the lifespan o' it, if'n only by a bit...I knows right now that me X2 4800+ that I has OCed ta 2.808GHz, temps 34C idle an' 52C load, has jus' had her lifespan shortened, e'en if only by a miniscule amount... >_<

overclocking reduces lifespan, period. no matter how cool you keep it. simple matter of device physics. it also decreases stability, though it may not be completely obvious (believe it or not, even when you're slamming the processor, it spends a very large amount of time stalled). failures happen sooner and stresses are more apparent in the long run.

taks

Edited by taks