NWN2 Discussion Thread

roshan

Just thought I'd pop in. I still don't have my copy, but checking with Amazon.co.uk there are a lot of negative reviews. What the feth is going on?

Screw those reviews, once the bugs are dealt with everyone will say this game is awesome. And anyway, the only problems the game has given me have been two crashes, one of which happened after I alt-tabbed.

Also, the performance issues are a bit overrated. Unless you want to run the game at an insanely high resolution, of course.

Hooray for Obsidian! :joy:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hope I'm not OT here, but .. what's with the auto-respawn on death? You're not supposed to die? If you die, you just respawn and the game continues. I play on "normal"-difficulty. The story is 110% linear (so far), and you can't die. How fun is that?  :aiee:

Sorry about the whining..

J.

Beacuse most of t he time, death is utterly pointless

It's what we used to call GAME-OVER in the old days..

Oh well.. I guess times are changing, and I'm just an old dinosaur.. :( ..

bed time. :p

J.

Edited by Junai

I dont even have an option for Vsync it seems? Cant find it under options and not in the *.ini file :(

Id better look again..  edit: nope, its not there?!

it's not an NWN2 option. only through your windows control panel can you set it.

right click on your desktop. click the "Settings" tab. click the "Advanced" button at the bottom. one of the tabs will be either "GeForce <whatever>" or something similar for ATI. if it's a GeForce, click that tab and a little sticky will pop up on the left. the top option will be "GeForce FX <whatever>". click that and then "Performance & Quality Settings." there will be several things on the next screen, including a scroll-bar list titled "Settings" under the "Global driver settings" box. scroll down to "Vertical sync" and click it. at the bottom, a slider will appear with another check-box that says "Application-controlled." uncheck that box and move the slider to the left (or wherever the "off" position is).

taks

i have an ati radeon 9800 pro and i cant find the option anywhere.

unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your circumstances), not everyone is encountering bugs or graphics issues. many of the graphics issues, btw, seem to be of the perception sort. i.e., "i have uber hardware, it should run _better_." not all mind you. the reason this is unfortunate, however, is that it makes it difficult for obsidian to debug. soooo many HW/SW combos out there. ugh.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i've seen comments that the omega drivers are a better way to access the ATI features... omegadrivers.net (no www, and i cannot load the page properly due to company locks, nor can i access support at ATI).

www.driverheaven.net also has some rather extensive support forums for ATI so you might want to check there. i did not want to sign up, so i could not search for answers.

hope this helps!

taks

it's just weird that my fps is so much higher in outdoors areas when it should be the other way around. i dunno, the game is still playable but my gut tells me that it should run a bit better..

it'll double once you figure out the v-sync thing. i think the level of detail with the interiors is the killer. outside tends to be a bit more generic from what i've seen.

taks

Talk about screwing around with spells. Spells like fireburst, IGMS, and firebrand are nothing but glorified fireballs and cone of colds now. Why is there a need to take away the feature that makes these spells different? Seriously, the fearure that sets them a part of fireball and its ilk is that they are area effect spells that are party safe. Heck, make them do less damage if you must; but don't away the thing that distinguishes them from other spells.

Seriously, firebrand is now nothing but a 5th level fireball spell that does *slightly* more damage. Might as well just call it improved fireball. LOL

And, don't get me started on fireburst where no wizard in their rigfht mind would cast that spell unless theyw ere immune to fire.

R00fles!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That's the biggest beef with the updated spells. Other spells seem to be logic with their updates and changes; but not these ones...

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I dont even have an option for Vsync it seems? Cant find it under options and not in the *.ini file :alien:

it's not an NWN2 option. only through your windows control panel can you set it.

right click on your desktop. click the "Settings" tab. click the "Advanced" button at the bottom. one of the tabs will be either "GeForce <whatever>" or something similar for ATI. if it's a GeForce, click that tab and a little sticky will pop up on the left. the top option will be "GeForce FX <whatever>". click that and then "Performance & Quality Settings." there will be several things on the next screen, including a scroll-bar list titled "Settings" under the "Global driver settings" box. scroll down to "Vertical sync" and click it. at the bottom, a slider will appear with another check-box that says "Application-controlled." uncheck that box and move the slider to the left (or wherever the "off" position is).

taks

Ive got the same card. You can find the vsync option at the bottom in the opengl and direct3d tabs.

I dont even have an option for Vsync it seems? Cant find it under options and not in the *.ini file :alien:

taks

Ive got the same card. You can find the vsync option at the bottom in the opengl and direct3d tabs.

where? in the control panel? i just can't find it :(

me = dumb

thanks for the update roshan. i'm sure others will appreciate it.

note to volourn: normal rules solves this problem! :alien: when i go to hard-core (next run through), i'll not be a spell-caster.

taks

I don't wanna play on normal thoguh. I like the hardcore rules. I just don't like how certain spells are so changed that the whole point of them is missed up.

The whole idea behind firebrand, as ane xample, is the creation of firey missles that a wizard can target nemeies. Much like multie targeted flame arrows. Think of it as improved flame arrow yet in NWN2 it's nothing but improved fireball.

I have no problems with fireball burning me and my allies if I miscaluate the timing as that's the way it *should* work. But, spells like firebrand or IGMS should simply work differently. That's why they are different spells.

It's not about nerfing or overpowering a spell; but spell logic - ie. what is the mission statement of said spell.

IGMS was a BIO created spell for NWN1. As was firebrand IIRC. So, I don't think they have pnp equivelants. Definitely true for IGMS; not so sure about firebrand. Though, they may have been added in 3.5.

All i know it's not cool; and it has nothing to do with me being a mucnhkin (before someone accuses me of that); but the whole intention of said spells.

Edited by Volourn

I agree with Volourn on this.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

me too. as soon as i heard the GMS spells were "target everyone" i decided to play through on normal since i always do a weezard first time through. IMO, the strength of a spellcaster is the ability to severely damage large groups of opponents to make a tank's job easier. he should be able to control his spells to the point which they don't all target everyone.

taks

Well.. It depends on the spell. Spells like fireball should target everyone in their AOE. That's the 'personality' of said spell. The 'personality' of IGMS and firebrand is that its more controlled by the caster.

I'll admit that I did shift to the Normal difficulty after a bit, but it wasn't because I was finding Hardcore too difficult, but rather because I didn't feel like micromanaging my spell casters with puppet mode, and the fact that I actually wanted to see what these cool spell effects looked like.

vsync has been turned back on. I was getting some weird glitch with it off. All the characters would be moving smoothly, but the backgrounds would "jump." The area would move properly for a moment and then suddenly jump back 10 feet every 3 steps or so. :dancing:

Also, for the ATi people. Right click on the desktop and you should get ATi Catalyst Control Center as the first option right at the top of the menu. From there click on "3D" in the sidebar and then "All Settings." Second setting from the bottom under that would be "Wait for Vertical Refresh." Move the slider over to the far left to turn V-sync off.

too bad. i do get the occasional "jump," though i was never equating that with v-sync. it doesn't really "look" like the tearing i've seen in FPS games. it happens infrequently enough for me that i don't mind. i suppose it depends upon other factors with specific setups, btw.

taks

oh, i know what the difference may be. i'm natively running at 85 Hz refresh. v-sync is related to the refresh rate, so maybe the higher refresh makes it behave differently, worse/better, who knows?

just a thought.

taks

oh, i know what the difference may be.  i'm natively running at 85 Hz refresh.  v-sync is related to the refresh rate, so maybe the higher refresh makes it behave differently, worse/better, who knows?

just a thought.

taks

I know that my desktop is running at 75Hz. That's as high as it can handle at 1600x1200. :dancing: