The Music Thread - Currently Listening To

Darque

I've read that Bubblegum is pretty good, but have never actually heard it. I wouldn't mind taking a listen if you upload a track or two.

Yeah, um, Methamphetamine Blues, right? The one with them, uh, Oliveri and Homme? I've got that covered, as soon as I find out how to upload a tune or LC answers my rabid PM.

Good song.

Like Little Willie John is glorious, though.

In the meantime, here's New York State of Mind Part 2, one of the (few and far between) highlights of Nas' post-Illmatic career, along with all the other DJ Premier tracks, really.

Yeah, here goes nothing:

Mark Lanegan - Methamphetamine Blues

And two bonus songs, the first a Sonny & Brownie track from their later period, which might not be the ideal place to start if you're new to the band, though I have to stress a certain fondness for it: Jesus Gonna Make It Alright.

And the second one, a track from Prince Paul (of De La Soul and Handsome Boy Modeling School fame)'s seminal Hip Hop concept album, A Prince Among Thieves - for which I have to quote wikipedia (laziness, boredom, and the winter blues mostly, if you gotta know):

A Prince Among Thieves is the second album by Hip Hop artist and producer Prince Paul. It is considered an apex in the Hip Hop world, and was one of the most acclaimed concept albums of its time. The concept follows the story of an aspiring young MC named Tariq (played by rapper Breezly Brewin), who needs to collect money to record a demo tape before a meeting with Wu-Tang Clan leader RZA. A desperate Tariq quits his low-paying job, and turns to his friend True (played by rapper Big Sha), who plugs him into the world of drug dealing. The story sees the two making their way through the drug world, a police ambush, jail, and finally, a deadly showdown.

The album features cameos by Kool Keith, Big Daddy Kane, Chubb Rock, Biz Markie, De La Soul, Everlast, Sadat X, Xzibit, Kid Creole, Special Ed, Chris Rock, RZA and Buckshot.

Pain - said showdown's aftermath and the album's first actual track. Pretty good (great even) and it manages not to ruin the plot, nor spoil (much of) it.

I might up something else later on (I'm thinking a Hank Williams talkie, Jack says The River), but that's it for now.

Edited by Baley

I like it... mmmm I like it.

i'm rollin just to keep on rollin

Those are three winners there. I remember "Jesus Gonna Make It Alright" from a YT link you posted a while back, I think. Nice to hear it though.

I'm having a pretty bad day at work, but every time I start to get down I just remember that last night, at about 8:30 p.m., I was talking to mc chris (of "Fett's Vette" fame) on my cell phone.

He was playing a show in NYC, and my friend who lives up there decided to go. They walked in and the "Dungeon Master of Ceremonies" himself was sitting at the bar. mc was thanking people for coming as they came in the door! So my buddy tells mc how we had been fans of his for about five years now, and mc says "Put him on the phone!"

Pretty sweet. Much better than that time another friend of mine called me from outside a GWAR concert, and I got cursed out by someone calling himself "Slave Dog" who might or might not have actually been in the band.

Apparently, the new mc chris album is actually legitimately good. Not just jokey, nerd-core good, but a seriously decent rap CD. At least that's what my bud says.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I dunno, man, I've always lived in fear of nerd-rap, nerd-rock, and the whole nerd chic culture. I mean, public-acceptance? Embarrassment? Eww. Plus - and let's be honest here - most nerd things, or better yet most things commonly associated with the nerd culture, just plain suck the Krakatoa, 'specially when they're winking in self-irony or Fergie-ing (can I say piss? Guess I can) themselves over their witticism. That said, I firmly and wholly admit my ignorance on this topic. It might be funny. It might be smart. It's probably consummately nerdy, on the whole.

But let's be honest here (again), there's never gonna be a more hilarious Hip-Hop song than Pac's

- though I fear it's mostly unintentional. Poor Pac.

And, nah, there are few Sonny & Terry tracks on the tube, and this is hardly one of their famous ones.

You gonna wring your wrists and shout at daddy?

I got your letter today

And I miss you all so much, here

I can't wait to see you all

And I'm counting the days, dear

I still believe that there's gold

At the end of the world

And I'll come home

To Illinois

On the day after tomorrow

It is so hard

And it's cold here

And I'm tired of taking orders

And I miss old Rockford town

Up by the Wisconsin border

But I miss you won't believe

Shoveling snow and raking leaves

And my plane will touch tomorrow

And the summer

It too will fade

And with it comes the winter's frost, dear

And I know we too are made

Of all the things that we have lost here

I'll be twenty-one today

I've been saving all my pay

And my plane will touch down

And my plane it will touch down

- Tom Waits.

Can you actually hear the lyrics in that song you etched a few posts back? Cause if you can, mate, I'd suggest griding it and trampling it and hurling it away away away. I'm only saying this cause I love me some tall, pale Finn and that's the kind of thing that made gab gab and Dawson a possibity, nah, reality.

I blame the music.

Well, I wish I was in New Orleans

I can see it in my dreams

arm-in-arm down Burgundy

a bottle and my friends and me

hoist up a few tall cool ones

play some pool and listen to that

tenor saxophone calling me home

and I can hear the band begin

"When the Saints Go Marching In"

by the whiskers on my chin

New Orleans, I'll be there

I'll drink you under the table

be red nose go for walks

the old haunts what I wants

is red beans and rice

and wear the dress I like so well

and meet me at the old saloon

make sure there's a Dixie moon

and deal the cards roll the dice

if it ain't that ole Chuck E. Weiss

and Clayborn Avenue me and you

Sam Jones and all

and I wish I was in New Orleans

I can see it in my dreams

arm-in-arm down Burgundy

a bottle and my friends and me

- Tom Waits.

Can you actually hear the lyrics in that song you etched a few posts back? Cause if you can, mate, I'd suggest griding it and trampling it and hurling it away away away. I'm only saying this cause I love me some tall, pale Finn and that's the kind of thing that made gab gab and Dawson a possibity, nah, reality.

I rarely listen to lyrics. Singer

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Tom Waits - Sea of Love.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.